Other Gridiron Movies - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Favourite Gridiron Movies and TV shows

Remember The Titans is still the out n' out the Heavyweight Football Movies Champ in my books.

The League (series 3 has been given a green light) takes the TV series middleweight .. although I haven't watched the full series of Friday Night Lights, (just 1 & 2) that's certainly a drama packed contender that has SMACK DOWN for a drama series.

Thanx to Wizard for the link to our 'original thread'. :thumbsu:

Welcome to NFL BF bjtoby. Stick around but keep your gloves up.

Sep 28, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Purdue,Seahawks, Pacers Leeds, AUFC
Re: Favourite Gridiron Movies and TV shows

Remember The Titans is still the out n' out the Heavyweight Football Movies Champ in my books.

The League (series 3 has been given a green light) takes the TV series middleweight .. although I haven't watched the full series of Friday Night Lights, (just 1 & 2) that's certainly a drama packed contender that has SMACK DOWN for a drama series.

Thanx to Wizard for the link to our 'original thread'. :thumbsu:

Welcome to NFL BF bjtoby. Stick around but keep your gloves up.

Yeah ive only seen series 1 and 2 of FNL, awesome show and wish they would release the series 3 here on DVD. might just watch it online. The League I haven't seen but looks like a show I would enjoy.

Remember the Titans is the best football movie made by a fair bit imo, amazing movie. Denzel is one of my favourite actors, rarely makes a bad flick. Adam Sandler has made some good football movies, the Longest Yard and the Waterboy were both pretty funny. Blindside was great but yeah, not much of a football movie. I thought Any Given Sunday was alright and the Replacements was s**t.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
My favorite movie scenes of football are always those where a bunch of guys are just playing in street clothes, either on the street, or on muddy parks. I always think they represent football best, better than any movie actually about football, wearing uniforms, helmets, etc.

I'll try to think of movies where there are such scenes in them...

- That film where DeNiro is a priest and the boys are in juvenile prison, they play a guards vs boys game.

- The Replacements I think has a scene where Wahlberg plays with some buddies in the rain.

- American Pie: Naked Mile, has a game on a muddy field against short people who kick their asses.

- there's a ton more, just gotta try to remember them.

My favorite movie scenes of football are always those where a bunch of guys are just playing in street clothes, either on the street, or on muddy parks. I always think they represent football best, better than any movie actually about football, wearing uniforms, helmets, etc.

I'll try to think of movies where there are such scenes in them...

- That film where DeNiro is a priest and the boys are in juvenile prison, they play a guards vs boys game.

- The Replacements I think has a scene where Wahlberg plays with some buddies in the rain.

Wasn't 'The Replacements' GG, you're thinking 'Invincible' based on a true story of Vince Papal of the Philly Eagles under Dick Vermile. If anyone gets a chance to watch America's Game of the 1999 Rams, the way Dick Vermile turned it all around in St Louis is something of a miracle. Stuff of genius. I mean, the sheer anxiety of being a head coach with player personell being all over the shop, team hadn't had a winning campaign for 9 seasons. A guy who was packing cereal on shopping shelves only to make ends meet would be the missing piece to Vermeils mystic puzzle. Sure, winning a SB from the Wildcard Road trip is tough enough long shot but the 1999 Rams are clearly one of the greatest long shot stories in the history of sports. Wow!

Not a movie as such, but did anyone see the Marcus Dupree story on ESPN last night? Very interesting, and a bit sad as well that choices he made (influenced partly I might add), maybe robbed the NFL of one of the best RBs ever.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Not a movie as such, but did anyone see the Marcus Dupree story on ESPN last night? Very interesting, and a bit sad as well that choices he made (influenced partly I might add), maybe robbed the NFL of one of the best RBs ever.

You mean the 30 for 30 doco "The Best That Never Was"? If so, that is quite a good doco. Never knew about him before watching it about 6 months ago and was blown away by the footage of his HS games. Could def see how the doco got its name.

I would highly recommend all of the football related 30 for 30 docos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, that was the one. How sick was his high school footage. And then he did do that in college in his first season, but was curtailed by injury. Had he gone back that next year who knows what would have happened. That concussion had a fair bit to do with it, and then his 'advisor', the honourable reverand that basically ripped him off, was in his ear so much that I reckon it destroyed any chance he had. Gets the knee injury in the USFL and game over. Was really pleased to see that he did manage to get to the NFL (albeit short lived, and not with the impact he should of had).

I would highly recommend all of the football related 30 for 30 docos

I just reccomend the 30 for 30 series in general. "Winning Time" featuring Spike Lee and Reggie Miller is the best one i've seen so far.

The Ricky Williams one i found somewhat boring.
"The best that never was" mentioned above is just brilliant, their old footage and interviews were simply sensational.
"The U" i found sooo entertaining, personally being someone that just loves listening and watching the characters of the game i loved this doco. "If ya don't want them to dance i the endzone, dont let em score".

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I just reccomend the 30 for 30 series in general. "Winning Time" featuring Spike Lee and Reggie Miller is the best one i've seen so far.

Havent seen all of the series so can't comment, but "Winning Time" is right up there (admittedly, I dont think I've seen a bad one but I've only watched about 8 of them)

Have this one recorded on IQ so must watch.

Oct 5, 2004
Point Cook
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Red Sox, Man U, Chi Bears

Damn, pretty saw all the ones I wanted to except this one, then when it was on again not long ago, I was in QLD and didn't see it, hopefully it's on again.

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
Remember the Titans > Any Given Sunday by so much it isn't funny, so many cliche's in AGS, hard to watch, even that awesome speach by Pacino everyone raves about is contrived IMO.

I know film and art is all opinion but ... Remember the Titans isn't clichéd ???

RTT was warm and fuzzy ... and uplifting but the performances are contrived and the plot ultimately predictable.

I would say that RTT relied far too heavily on sporting clichés and dealt far too softly on the racism which should have been at the forefront of the story.

as for being based on a true story pffft ... very looooosely based.

typical Disney rubbish imo ...
k5uCE8

I found Any Given Sunday to be far less predictable, different from any other Gridiron film, far better acting performances, and a much better story and never claimed to be something it wasn't.

from wiki... about those Titans..

Negative criticism included statements that it relied too heavily on sporting clichés and one-dimensional characters, while dealing too softly with the racism at the center of the story.

Everyone has their defined opinion on how hard they choose to go.. sure, they could of 'hammered the dialogue' with heavy & disturbing insults/ behaviour but at the end of the day, it remained a Jerry Bruckheimer production. Take it or leave it. FWIW... I've seen heaps of movies in the past with far more cheesy clichés and one-dimensional characters you can poke a stick at. You can virtually guarantee most flicks at the mainsteam cinema's are littered with not only cheesy one-dimensional characters but crap storylines that lack any punch or memorable themes.

Jerry Maguire & Big Fan... gimme a break!! :p

Dec 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots Red Sox Notre Dame
I know film and art is all opinion but ... Remember the Titans isn't clichéd ???

RTT was warm and fuzzy ... and uplifting but the performances are contrived and the plot ultimately predictable.

I would say that RTT relied far too heavily on sporting clichés and dealt far too softly on the racism which should have been at the forefront of the story.

as for being based on a true story pffft ... very looooosely based.

typical Disney rubbish imo ...
k5uCE8

I think you have to look at it as a Disney film, I remember it being showed in about grade 6-8 as a way talking about race issues. It wasn't meant as a more confronting in depth look, That's not disney's style or market

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
I think you have to look at it as a Disney film, I remember it being showed in about grade 6-8 as a way talking about race issues. It wasn't meant as a more confronting in depth look, That's not disney's style or market

you're right ... I'm not part of that market ... that's why I never warmed to the movie. Many people enjoyed it though ... good for them :eek::thumbsu:

I was initially responding to DaSawx who was saying RTT better film than AGS because AGS had too many clichés ... and my belief is that RTT is far more cichéd !!

i lové thé usé of thé é kéy

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Storm, Pompey
I love Remember the Titans, maybe cliche a little but its so well made it can get away with it. Just a good honest football movie.

Another Given Sunday just seems fake all around. Part of that is because its meant to be that, but I dont know, I own it on BD and DVD but never really warmed to it. I think I just like hearing stories of obscure, not well known teams instead of pro teams. I could watch endless docos on small USA towns and their football teams, I just love the idea of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back