Other Gridiron Movies - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember if i've already mentioned on this thread but North Dallas Forty starring Nick Nolte was great down to earth gritty football movie.

I checked out the you tube clips on that movie and it's seems quite worthwhile to watch but I can't find a torrent for it. :( I however found another, All The Right Moves, starring Tom Cruise, co-starring with the ultimate girl next door, :heart: Lea Thompson along with Craig T Nelson as coach Nickerson.
Made in 1983. Filmed in Johnstown PA, located 70 mile east of da 'Burgh.

Not a bad flick.. quite the old school type High School football with 5 minutes of game footage in a clutch game. It runs for 90 minutes but seems like 35 odd minutes.

[YOUTUBE]eS5MtPXo13k[/YOUTUBE]

Undefeated, a gridiron documentary, won the Oscar for best documentary a couple of days ago.

Undefeated is an incredible movie

Last week, we told you that the documentary “Undefeated” produced by former NFL player Ed Cunningham was up for best documentary at the Oscars.

In the meantime, the film won the award, the director become temporarily infamous, and I went to see the movie with my wife.

I’m no Will Leitch when it comes to film reviews, but this was an incredible moviegoing experience. If you read this site, you probably love football. It’s hard to imagine anyone that loves football not falling in love with this movie.

The filmakers follow coach Bill Courtney and the 2009 Manassas High School football team in Memphis, Tennessee. At one point, Courtney speaks to his team and points out that he’s never made a tackle or a completion; that the players earned their success and deserve the credit. The story is beautifully told, but I couldn’t help but think Courtney and his players like Money, Chavis, and O.C. Brown deserve a lot of credit for the film winning the Oscar.

The characters and stories are so rich it’s almost hard to believe it’s a documentary. One scene where Chavis speaks to the team is among the most emotional scenes I’ve ever seen on screen.

This is Friday Night Lights the TV show, but real. Or the book Friday Night Lights come to life. Or Hoop Dreams for football.

The film is only playing in a few theaters around the country, but it’s expanding this weekend. Judging by the five people total in the theater Monday night, it should arrive on DVD and Netflix soon enough. Just see it, okay?

I grew up loathing Notre Dame. Went to a game there and it was a religious experience...did a 180 on ND over night. They soured on me again and during this time, I saw "Rudy." Put it off for years but it was on one night and it sucked me in. Damn good movie, even if the film takes some liberties with the story. Before "Rudy," the director (lives in my town) made one that is in every American sportsfan's Top 5, "Hoosiers." This also based on a true story and stars the great Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper. I get chills every time I watch it.

As for football movies, "Rudy" is up there...but my favorite is probably "North Dallas Forty." The book was written by a 3rd string wide receiver for the Cowboys in the mid 60's. The coach and QB are based on Tom Landry and Don Meredith...the former a straight laced Christian, the latter a hedonist country boy. Great movie, not really much football...but what a tough business pro football really is.

A close second the list has to be "The Longest Yard"..........the original! Why did they re-make this movie??? The new one is dog doo!!! Some actual NFL players were in the movie...Joe Kapp, Ray Nitschke...even Reynolds himself played college ball at Florida State. Love the final scene where Capt. Kinnauer gives the rifle back to Eddie Albert and drawls, "Game bawlll."

"Friday Night Lights" is based on a novel by J.D. Bissinger that paints a very unforable picture of Odessa, TX. The locals were none too pleased with the book and the movie tried to mend some of the damage. In real life, Permian did NOT beat Dallas Carter in the '88 5A semi-finals. Carter won that game and went on to win the state title. (sorry to get bogged down in actualities...but people in Texas know this isn't how it happened) Still a decent movie but not up there with the other three mentioned (or 4, including "Hoosiers")

Re: Favourite Gridiron Movies

4604251.jpg

Haven't watched it yet but i have just added THE EXPRESS to my DVD collection, is apparently really good.

I got the chance to watch "The Express" yesterday and it was an excellent movie that really tugs at the heart strings and reminds you just how fragile human life is.

A must see for any NFL fan. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

8/10.

You guys would be dismayed to know that someone stole the ball from Ernie's grave!

Officials at an upstate New York cemetery say someone keeps stealing a football from the grave of Ernie Davis, a college star who was the first black player to win the Heisman Trophy.

The Press & Sun-Bulletin of Binghamton reports the football was discovered missing from its display case Thursday.

The ball has disappeared several times previously, only to turn up later on the cemetery grounds. Woodlawn Cemetery superintendent Tom Henegar says he suspects youthful pranksters.

Davis was an All-American at Syracuse. He won the Heisman in 1961, then died of leukemia in 1963 at age 23.

The ball at his Elmira grave has a mysterious origin. It first appeared on the headstone last summer. Officials don't know who put it there, but they've treated the display with respect nonetheless.

Source:Foxsports

Found another one recently "Junction Boys", a made for TV movie about a really tough training camp that was held for Texas A&M in Junction, Texas.

Youtoob link:

The funniest thing though, I started watching this movie and instantly recognised Mick Scully from Neighbours, then Kyle from Head Start (used to be on ABC on saturdays) and then some guy from Home&Away, so did some investigation and it turns out this movie, set deep in the heart of Texas, was filmed in Australia and as a result there's quite a few b-grade aussies in there, and once you know this you can pick their accent(s) a mile away.

It's not the greatest production by a long stretch, but it's a football movie, so could be worth a watch if you like football movies.

As an update to my viewing history, I've recently watched "Undefeated" (amazing!) plus "The Program" (meh).

My top 5 as follows (in no particular order):

Invincible (ok it's probably number 1)
Friday Night Lights
Rudy
Undefeated
North Dallas Forty

Worst football movie I've seen:

Leatherheads

Also found this list which might help some find some new ones to watch:

http://www.imdb.com/list/yQj-Q55IM94/

New NFL movie coming out next April, "Draft Day"

Check out the trailer on this link :
http://www.imdb.com/
Looks very good. Specifically it's about the NFL finally, real teams, and the Draft Day itself, using real people from the NFL in the movie. Definitely gonna see this one. The only unbelievable aspect about it is that this "Sonny Weaver" character apparently has a killer draft for the Browns and turns the Browns into a success :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have never watched it before, but The Blindside is on NINE Sydney right now. Am watching in case you all were wondering what I was doing this very minute.
No offence intended.
But we weren't.
You're not as important as you think you are.
I do realise the irony in my statement.

Have never watched it before, but The Blindside is on NINE Sydney right now. Am watching in case you all were wondering what I was doing this very minute.

Having just got back celebrating Australia Day sailing the bay on a yacht jointly hosted by Hooters, Coopers Brewing, The Australian Lamb Board and Gurka Black Dragon Cigars, yes, the first thing I thought of when I propped my feet up on the coffee table and settled into a bit of blond Sandra Bullock was "I hope GG is onto this one."

Do people discuss football books in this thread? Or should I start a new thread?

I just wanted to ask about a couple. And, if I'm honest, ask some questions about Amazon and Kindle...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back