Strategy Griff to the back line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want Griffiths to be the next Jay Schulz...
Different in some ways but also a little similar.
We threw Sarge around and tried to use him more in the back-half to get him away from Richo - did not suit him and he looked a spud.
Over at Poooort Sarge looking like a very very good forward and also now a leader.

Keep Griffiths as a high CHF & if we can't fit Vickery and McBean in the 22 along with him then one of them misses out.
(Assuming Jack is in)

If you think Jack is the same player as he once was you're kidding yourself.
He was one dimensional.
He's a mighty player now.
Much better than when he was winning colemans at FF.
And coming from you magic who usually thinks quite laterally I'm surprised that after 15 minutes you decide Rance plays one position.
Well if Griff is a one trick pony he may play twos this week.

So where else does Rance play other than a backman?? All news to me even after last weekend. Rance can play a number of backman roles such is his versatility but you have to remember we are talking about building a premiership team. In a premiership team Rance would be lucky to play forward and virtually no chance to play midfield. You seem to be talking about Rance in the same breathe as Roughhead which is ridiculous!

JR was always a floating forward. The only difference is after they beefed him up, they beefed him down, he is a bit more team orientated and improved his kicks on the angle. JR always was and always will be a very good role player in the forward line.

Does JR play CHF?? No. In a gun team does JR play FF? No but that has always been the case!!

It is all very well for players to compete in different positions but they have to have the ability and will to do it effectively!!:cool:

Don't want Griffiths to be the next Jay Schulz...
Different in some ways but also a little similar.
We threw Sarge around and tried to use him more in the back-half to get him away from Richo - did not suit him and he looked a spud.
Over at Poooort Sarge looking like a very very good forward and also now a leader.

Keep Griffiths as a high CHF & if we can't fit Vickery and McBean in the 22 along with him then one of them misses out.
(Assuming Jack is in)

I think it is laughable people are considering McBean near maturity for AFL level yet. He is at least a year away given his frame and even then he would have to participate in the ruck partially to be effective and not make the team top heavy!

He's experienced there, can kick over a press, can take a grab, has the athleticism to keep up with the quickest talls and we've seen him blanket opposition forwards before (Roughead in 2012 I believe?). Since then he's gained strength and confidence.

I'm mainly considering this as an avenue to keeping McBean in the side, who I think added a lot against the Pies and will benefit from maximum senior game time.

Drop Elton (who has plenty of time) for Griff and run a forward line of Jack and McBean with a rotating Vickery.

Thoughts?
I reckon he goes well down back - when he goes down there during a game. Marks well. ( I can't remember his spoiling) But I'd bring him in for McBean as first preference. And let him settle up there...

We have Elton as depth. If he doesn't get games he could well leave, so it'd be good to see how he goes staying in the side for 3 weeks or so. He's on par with Astbury (based on current form)

My 2 cents
Bean is still a couple of years off being able to play out a full season
Richo had a great tank, griffiths is so far off having the tank that Richo had, its not funny
We are bringing thru elite runners, and griff (nor any of other talls) will never have the same running as our developing runners
An opposition team could sit a slightly shortly, but better runner on Grif, and they would play thru them.

Make the forward spot for Griffiths, and develop him there properly. The only other developing he should have is to continue his ruck ability. He needs to be remotely conpetitive in the ruck, either in relieving, or doing rucking in the forward zone.

For years we were calling for Dimma to play him up forward.
Now he's playing there, and some want to chuck him down back.
Keep him in the forward line.
Plays his best footy there.

We have Astbury as our swing man.
I reckon he plays his best footy when hes on the ball. Trouble with that is hes an ordinary ruckman.

Todd Elton has been developed as a KPD, This yr he may get some hidings if we actually play him. One positive i can say though is he does look like he will DEVELOP INTO a pretty decent kpd. Enough of this chopping and changing caper please. We should expect some of our players will have poor games as they go and we should not throw them them out with the bath water because of it.. One word comes to mind, PERSEVERANCE.

Griffiths has been ever so slow in his development, Imo there is improvement though. I actually prefer Griffiths as a forward to Vickery who i just cant stand. Who after about 100 games i can say i have had enough.

So where else does Rance play other than a backman?? All news to me even after last weekend. Rance can play a number of backman roles such is his versatility but you have to remember we are talking about building a premiership team. In a premiership team Rance would be lucky to play forward and virtually no chance to play midfield. You seem to be talking about Rance in the same breathe as Roughhead which is ridiculous!

JR was always a floating forward. The only difference is after they beefed him up, they beefed him down, he is a bit more team orientated and improved his kicks on the angle. JR always was and always will be a very good role player in the forward line.

Does JR play CHF?? No. In a gun team does JR play FF? No but that has always been the case!!

It is all very well for players to compete in different positions but they have to have the ability and will to do it effectively!!:cool:
Jesus....

If Griff improved his tank could he be the high roaming forward/wingman that Richo played in his last year or two? I think they're trying something similar with Nick Riewoldt this year. I don't think he's a great backman but he showed last year with some of the defensive marks that he took that he can provide great aerial support. Let him roam far and wide and push forward when required. Not a swingman. A Wingman! Also allow Jack to do a little of this but closer to home. Jack delivers the ball inside 50 as good as anyone. Look at his lace out pass to McBean on Sunday.

I see McBean as more of a Jack Gunstan type. What a nightmare for a defender having your 3rd or even 4th tall standing at 202cm with the agility of a flanker.

It might be crazy given our struggles with a 3 tall forward structure, but I reckon we could find a way to play all 4 of them in attacking roles. :eek:

Probably worth leaving it alone until the pre-season unless we shoot our season in the foot again......
The only problem with comparing Beany to Gunstan is he cant run like him, which is his main asset.

I think some are seduced by him because he looks so good when exhibiting the positive aspects of his game. Problem is they're not on display frequently or consistently enough.

As I said in the post match pies thread, if Griff had produced what Vickery did on the weekend we'd all be absolutely giddy about it. Because it was Vickery the response was more muted.
He has to stop missing basic shots at goal. That is a major area for improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we short on defenders or something? Rance, Chaplin, Astbury, Elton, Grimes, Batch are pretty much all playing four four spots. Grimes and Batchelor play the medium sized role so you can probably eliminate them for Giffiths. That leaves two tall defenders in Rance & Chaplin/Astbury. Griffiths isn't going to fit in down there unless injuries happen.

Down forward we have Jack, Vickery, Griffiths, McBean and maybe Mckenzie as tall forwards. Three would be the max.

If we are deficient anywhere it's down forward. Play Griff there and let him develop into that role before it's too late.

If Griff improved his tank could he be the high roaming forward/wingman that Richo played in his last year or two? I think they're trying something similar with Nick Riewoldt this year. I don't think he's a great backman but he showed last year with some of the defensive marks that he took that he can provide great aerial support. Let him roam far and wide and push forward when required. Not a swingman. A Wingman! Also allow Jack to do a little of this but closer to home. Jack delivers the ball inside 50 as good as anyone. Look at his lace out pass to McBean on Sunday.

I see McBean as more of a Jack Gunstan type. What a nightmare for a defender having your 3rd or even 4th tall standing at 202cm with the agility of a flanker.

It might be crazy given our struggles with a 3 tall forward structure, but I reckon we could find a way to play all 4 of them in attacking roles. :eek:

Probably worth leaving it alone until the pre-season unless we shoot our season in the foot again......
I'd like to see him develop into the best CHF in the Comp and that will take 30 or 40 games . Just back Elton down back with Rance and Astbury at the moment . The guy that should be moving to the VFL in roughly 4 weeks is Chappy .

Give Maric a rest , play Vickery in the tuck and get games into McBean in a couple of weeks also .

Have all these young blokes playing together getting valuable experience so who ever takes over at years end can have a head start.

Another question I have for people, and I'm being serious when I ask this.
Is David Astbury best 22?
Not at the moment bc he doesn't have as many tricks a tv or Griff since they offer the ruck chop out.
Also Dave is slow and injury prone which stops him from being a consistent performer.
Griff is also injury prone, but he can basically now reach a good standard of AFL straight away whereas Dave takes weeks to get into the rhythm

Last edited:
I'd like to see him develop into the best CHF in the Comp and that will take 30 or 40 games . Just back Elton down back with Rance and Astbury at the moment . The guy that should be moving to the VFL in roughly 4 weeks is Chappy .

Give Maric a rest , play Vickery in the tuck and get games into McBean in a couple of weeks also .

I agree. He has held his place in the side on the back of form at CHF so I don't think we should tinker with it.

I thought Maric was huge last week. I just don't think we can afford to rest him with a chance to get our season back on track over the next couple of games and I don't think he will want to be rested.

Are we short on defenders or something? Rance, Chaplin, Astbury, Elton, Grimes, Batch are pretty much all playing four four spots. Grimes and Batchelor play the medium sized role so you can probably eliminate them for Giffiths. That leaves two tall defenders in Rance & Chaplin/Astbury. Griffiths isn't going to fit in down there unless injuries happen.

Down forward we have Jack, Vickery, Griffiths, McBean and maybe Mckenzie as tall forwards. Three would be the max.

If we are deficient anywhere it's down forward. Play Griff there and let him develop into that role before it's too late.

Dont we field two sides. Theres not enough tall defenders imo. Plus theres only one on the entire list who performs at regular high standard.
Rance, Chaplin, Astbury, Elton, Grimes.There is serious need for another QUALITY KPD, There is also a need for another hard running third tall type.Imo we have that in Mcintosh but dont play him down back.
The last trade period an ideal scenario for us would have been one of Durdin, Lever or Goddard at pick 12. James Frawley in free agency.

As for tall fwds it is a similar list problem. We are short at least one tall fwd. There is only one who performs at a regular high standard. Our next best performed options are two underachievers whose worth is strongly debated still. All i can say is thank god we took young Mckenzie with such a late pick.

We are clearly happy with our kpps and that has me shaking my head.

He's experienced there, can kick over a press, can take a grab, has the athleticism to keep up with the quickest talls and we've seen him blanket opposition forwards before (Roughead in 2012 I believe?). Since then he's gained strength and confidence.

I'm mainly considering this as an avenue to keeping McBean in the side, who I think added a lot against the Pies and will benefit from maximum senior game time.

Drop Elton (who has plenty of time) for Griff and run a forward line of Jack and McBean with a rotating Vickery.

Thoughts?

Not for me. Griff is a force up forward.... Can bring depth to our entries. McBean doesn't quite look ready for mine.... goes to ground when trying to tackle, not quite the intensity needed on the lead.... however he isn't far way but I wouldn't be unsettling the side just to keep him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back