Griffiths not Vickery = Hatteberg not Pena

Remove this Banner Ad

axel2cotch2lids

All Australian
Aug 3, 2008
Lounge Room
AFL Club
Richmond
The streak lives for one more week and the Moneyball recruiting philosophy of the Tigers in recent years looks like paying off

This week Vickery is available, a key position player that relies more on uncontested play than contested.

Griffiths seems to do all those little things right more often that go unnoticed, the 1%ers.

In what will undoubtedly be a highly contested game - Griffiths not Vickery

And for those who need a little bit of belief for this weekend
The Streak
Hatteberg #20

Moneyball involves a focus on individual statistics over all else. On moneyball principles we would be playing Vickery before Griffiths, as his career statistics surpass Griff's.

However on the principles of bloody common sense, I prefer to see Griff developed as he gives us a viable marking target through HB/HF. He might not get as many disposals or goals as Vickery, but he will be something special. So I'm happy if the club forgets moneyball and just plays the better option.

Moneyball involves a focus on individual statistics over all else. On moneyball principles we would be playing Vickery before Griffiths, as his career statistics surpass Griff's.

However on the principles of bloody common sense, I prefer to see Griff developed as he gives us a viable marking target through HB/HF. He might not get as many disposals or goals as Vickery, but he will be something special. So I'm happy if the club forgets moneyball and just plays the better option.

Just having a little bit of fun with "the streak" and Moneyball is in my top 3 movies

This year I think Griffiths does more team orientated work, and is much cleaner than Vickery. I think he gets up the feild more which help create more space rather than hanging out the back of contests - I would like a stat for Vickery "joe the goose" goals. The front half just appears to function better without Vickery - more space and more options to rotate mid-fielders through the front half.

Griffiths is the better option - I believe we will win more often with Griffiths in the team

upload_2014-8-25_10-13-30.png

You want to compare meaningful statistics, here's what I want you to provide when assessing these 2:

• Clearances won with Griffiths/Vickery in ruck
  • Contests won by Richmond where the ball is kicked to a contest containing more opposition players and Griffiths/Vickery
  • Contests neutralised by Richmond where the ball is kicked to a contest containing more opposition players and Griffiths/Vickery
  • Number of scoring chains involving Vickery/Griffiths
  • Number of rebound 50s resulting in goals with Griffiths/Vickery in the team
IMO Griffiths wins in every single one of these very important statistics.

Contests neutralised by Richmond where the ball is kicked to a contest containing more opposition players and Griffiths/Vickery

I think this aspect contributed a bit to the turnaround in form.

We really missed a fit Jake King forcing a stoppage from a scrappy kick out of defence in the first half of the season. How many goals came from a Tiger defender bombing a quick kick that just came sailing back during the GC, Carlton, Dogs, and Collingwood games? Jeez, it must have been demoralising for Astbury.

Well done to Griffiths and Maric for the way they neutralise a contest against all comers until the reinforcements arrive.

Other aspects are how effective JR, Lids Martin are with each in the team!!!

General goal numbers and conversions etc...

Fact is Griffiths up the ground and around half forward forward for us is critical for us in terms of opening up our forward line, transition to the forward line, half forward effectiveness and relieving the midfield transition IMO.

Moneyball is a load of trendy seppo s**t that has * all to do with Australian Football. Nothing more than a hollow buzzword. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
I think they both play. We need two forwards. We need two rucks - unless you want to run Griffiths/Maric into the ground. We need another big bloke to sit in the hole down back. Vickery/Maric/Griffiths can all rotate there through the ruck and across HF.

In: Vickery, Martin
Out: Lennon, Who*******knows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Griffiths needs to kick more goals if he wants to keep the 2nd forward position.

Agree, I think we can make it work with Griff as the 3rd forward.... He's agile enough, tough to stop for a tall, let alone a 3rd tall.... If TV can play deep, JR ahead of him and Griff in front of both of them (in general terms, obviously they'd rotate a bit), we'd be a handful....

Agree, I think we can make it work with Griff as the 3rd forward.... He's agile enough, tough to stop for a tall, let alone a 3rd tall.... If TV can play deep, JR ahead of him and Griff in front of both of them (in general terms, obviously they'd rotate a bit), we'd be a handful....
100% AGREE we just need 2 small fwd types who can lock the ball in we have rreally missed kingy and jacko in that role this year

Watch the way Griff has been picking up those ground balls the last 3 weeks and try an imagine Vickery doing that? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now try and imagine Vickery doing that after being out for 4 weeks and not even playing a game in this period .

Griff for mine . No to the both of them along side Jack. May as well bring Hampson in instead of Vickery if that is the case. He's kicked 2 goals in the last 4 weeks and 6 marks to Vickerys 0 .

Wasn't Hampson leading the ruck div back then rt , few more holes back then than a three man forward line. Syd are a tall unit , we need height
I agree. Vickery and Riewoldt staying at home. Maric and Griffiths roaming between the arcs. Will be hard for them to match up on I would think.

Wasn't Hampson leading the ruck div back then rt , few more holes back then than a three man forward line. Syd are a tall unit , we need height
We don't need hight. They have Ted Richards and Grundy. If they have another tall then Martin , Deledio , Foley and Gordan will be pissing themselves laughing . Is it in our game plan to bomb it in long after chipping it around for 3 minutes like the first 14 rounds ???? Why do we need a third tall in the forward line

I'm not sure what I want to happen or expect to happen.
The only thing I know is that Griffiths is nowhere near as good as some here would have you believe and Vickery nowhere near as bad as they'd have you believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back