Opinion Grimes

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Batch is ahead of him now due to his kicking. With Newman losing ground steadily, Houli is our only (sometimes) elite kick as defender (one reason why Ellis has been spending so much time in the back half).

Grimes is good defensively - very good. Better than Batch. But I think there's more chance Batch will improve his defensive abilities than Grimes will improve his disposal.

But happy to be proved wrong. I like Grimes' work, and he may still be recovering from his injuries. And I'm still NOT convinced at all by Astbury.

Regardless of how you rate our current defenders, anyone who thinks we don't require some more depth in our backline -particularly KPD's- is a delusional fool who probably has "locked and loaded' tatooed above their groin, a "cherry ripe " tramp stamp and one of those "I was there when we were s**t" t-shirts from 2007 hanging in their wardrobe.:drunk::thumbsu::oops:

Grimes has not been terrible by any means so this 'roast' is a bit overboard. Grimes does the job of a defender and defends first and foremost. He can improve his offensive game but we shouldn't be overly worried about that considering his run of injures and we have other players in the team capable of the rebounding work. An aspect of Grimes's capabilities that is underrated is the job he can do playing on small forwards. Against Adelaide he was playing on Charlie Cameron for a while and kept him quiet. After a full pre-season I would expect to see Grimes improve even more and some continuity in his run of games without being injured will only give him more confidence.

So you think we have a back line good enough to win a premiership? You sir have no idea. Astbury is slow and will crumble under finals pressure. Grimes offers nothing offensively. Keep telling yourselves everything is ok because we have won 9 in a row. Our backline is good but not premiership standard.

Where do we get these premiership standard players.? surely not on a tree! It comes from hard work and experience of playing finals footy!!
To win premierships you need to play finals at least 2-3 seasons consecutively. If we manage to play finals in 2014 & 2015 with the same back line, i have no doubt they'll be good for premiership contention in 2016.

So you think we have a backline good enough to win a premiership? You sir have no idea. Astbury is slow and will crumble under finals pressure. Grimes offers nothing offensively. Keep telling yourselves everything is ok because we have won 9 in a row. Our backline is good but not premiership standard.
I smell a Rat.

Grimes great defensively poor offensively. But thats how he started his career to when he was the iron fist. He back better and better offensively and I am hoping for the same thing as he keeps playing more and more games.

We are the 2nd best defence in the league over the last 2 months, we might not be getting as big numbers as we used to back there but I think we defensively better then we were at any point last year.

Found this interesting – courtesy of Richmond TT

Round 21, 2013 – 13 Wins 7 Losses, 1887 points For (271.261), 1647 points Against (237.225)
Round 21, 2014 – 10 Wins 10 Losses, 1721 points For (249.227), 1647 points Against (237.225)

I don’t think defense is our problem

Round 21, 2013 – 13 Wins 7 Losses, 1887 points For (271.261), 1647 points Against (237.225)
Round 21, 2014 – 10 Wins 10 Losses, 1721 points For (249.227), 1647 points Against (237.225)

Whoever our forward coach is, needs to be changed IMO.

nope, grimes is fine, had th chance to watch him up and close at the adelaide game, needs some work but he is fine did some really solid smart defensive work.

Nice, our offence needs to be worked on for sure, we rely to much on jack but i get the feeling the future is bright now that Griffo is coming of age and hopfuly Ty starts to use his head instead of being a peanut.

Really liking some of the options we have down back - Rance, Astbury, Chaplin, Grimes, Batchelor can all play medium/tall as needed plus we have Benny Darrou on the rookie list who might be a chance to get elevated as well.

I honestly think Batch has stalled in development he just looks crap out there but i think that's more a reflection on other players getting better.

I honestly think Batch has stalled in development he just looks crap out there but i think that's more a reflection on other players getting better.

I reckon he's looked pretty good since forcing his way into the side, has a bit of aggression and plays with a bit of physicality which I like. He doesn't seem to be that roaming HB flanker that he seemed to play as when he first came to the club (haven't seen him launch many raking kicks/providing a lot of run in the last 2 or so years) but might just be playing his role as instructed by the coaches and letting others (Ellis, Houli, Rance, Grigg, Foley, Vlastuin etc) handle the rebounding efforts.

I reckon he's looked pretty good since forcing his way into the side, has a bit of aggression and plays with a bit of physicality which I like. He doesn't seem to be that roaming HB flanker that he seemed to play as when he first came to the club (haven't seen him launch many raking kicks/providing a lot of run in the last 2 or so years) but might just be playing his role as instructed by the coaches and letting others (Ellis, Houli, Rance, Grigg, Foley, Vlastuin etc) handle the rebounding efforts.

Someone is probably going to stat attack me but he doesn't seem to get the ball much and just seems to go missing far to much, is he tagging? i don't know...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone is probably going to stat attack me but he doesn't seem to get the ball much and just seems to go missing far to much, is he tagging? i don't know...

Yeah, not sure Wart. I just had a quick look at his average disposals and they are infact the lowest he's ever had since joining the club.

Average Disposals:
  • 2011 -12.6
  • 2012 - 15.4
  • 2013 -11.6
  • 2014 - 8.7
You'd have to assume it's due to playing a different role. When he first was drafted, he looked like such a silky and composed back flanker with a nice long kick on him. I think he seems to be playing more as a shut down/medium defender these days instead of offering rebound.

I don't understand why every player on the list has to be superman. Every player in the league has a downfall, even the guns... Sometimes a guy like Grimes is the difference in a game/flag. Wake up you people. you have played local footy at best, more likely junior run aways. not every player gets the stats.. if you can defend and defend well which Grimes does, then get someone else to distribute the ball.. simple...
you don't start dropping people because they are doing what they are told and what is needed....

I like Grimes reckon he will be very good in time As for Astbury he is good but not great yet...not totaly convinced on him yet time will tell..i currently like the back 6 we have...

So you think we have a backline good enough to win a premiership? You sir have no idea. Astbury is slow and will crumble under finals pressure. Grimes offers nothing offensively. Keep telling yourselves everything is ok because we have won 9 in a row. Our backline is good but not premiership standard.

Are you a troll? It sounds like you are? Or perhaps, you are just acting like a nimrod....

But hey, in case you haven't copped it enough from posters....

Astbury will be close to leading our b'n'f at the time he was injured.... so that would being consistent

Grimes, defensively is fine and offensively... well kicked his first ever goal this year, so he must be building!!

I like the fact you think that Grimes and Astbury are our entire backline.... There's a guy called Rance who is probably in the top 3 defenders in the league, Chaplin is standing up well over the last few months and did very well in the bnf last year, Houli has been ok, Vlastuin plays well when he is there, Lids is useful when he goes back, Morris is having his worst year and we still aren't getting chopped up by small forwards like we used to....Batchelor is in career best form.... so not too fussed about our backline at the moment....

Oh and it's 7 in a row, not 9 but then because you are a Richmond supporter (see what I did there ;)), you'd know that......

Now, off you trot and finish your homework

Kid has gone backwards due to loss of confidence from his injuries. Everything he touches on game day seems to result in a turnover. I am worried about his development and believe we need more depth in defence.
He and Astbury have shown no consistency whatsoever and only glimpses during their careers. We need to draft some more depth this year down back.
Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

You're trolling? o_O

Regardless of how you rate our current defenders, anyone who thinks we don't require some more depth in our backline -particularly KPD's- is a delusional fool who probably has "locked and loaded' tatooed above their groin, a "cherry ripe " tramp stamp and one of those "I was there when we were s**t" t-shirts from 2007 hanging in their wardrobe.:drunk::thumbsu::oops:

Knowing we need more depth across all our lines is a far cry from some moron having a crack at a bloke who was probably winning our best and fairest.....

At the end of the day to hold his spot next season he's required to improve his offensive game.

Lowest scoring season in 40 years so that needs to be taken into account.

iF they were both playing at their best. Grimes>Batch. And with Astbury back in the side those two would be competing for a position. Maybe Newman retiring lets both play, but we need a great disposer back there and Batch aint it, Grimes maybe not either, which is why we can't carry both at once and attack effectively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back