Groovin the Moo

Remove this Banner Ad

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lineup looks pretty swell, although if you had been to most of the alternative festivals over the last few years you would have seen close to 3/4 of the acts already.

Heavy chance to go though

Yeah I'll be going. Havent seen ball park music or san cisco before, nor meg mac. Aussie hot list it is. Probably missing a bigger overseas name.

It is lacking at least two big internationals (a bit like Falls!) and that's made my decision not to go pretty easy. It's very easy to bump into Ball Park, San Cisco, Tkay Maidza, Sticky Fingers, DMA's etc at just about every Australian festival.

Granted it's not as bad a line-up as I first thought yesterday, and for $99 it represents great value, but it will be full of 15-17 year old teenage girls and that's a bit of a turnoff.

Gibbsy was saying the promoter literally said they went after Triple J's most played. I don't really see much fault in that, it's a popular station and you might as well sell whatever people are willing to buy. There's about seven bonafide actual headliners in music right now but it's still frustrating to see the dearth of international acts... ASAP Ferg... well they missed the boat there by about 14 months. And Charli XCX? I think Sucker is a great album and I love her stuff, but I feel like they spent too much cash on her expecting some sort of crossover. Unfortunately women with pop songs but not a bonafide pop audience kind of struggle to get a lot of attention in Australia (see: Sky Ferreira).

I'd never go, but I have a bit of respect and admiration for the way GTM have handled themselves. They'd pay absolutely nothing to hire out their venues and can fill out the roster with cheap bands. You can sell tickets to country kids in abundance and of course get the city market pretty easily as well. Their model is pretty smart.

Gibbsy was saying the promoter literally said they went after Triple J's most played.

It is funny to read when you see it put as bluntly as the promoter said it.

"Basically we work really closely with triple j. So any band that gets triple j play fits our bill," promoter Steve Halpin revealed last year. “We do have bands like Parkway Drive, Amity Affliction are hardcore bands. We have indie-pop bands, we have hip-hop, we have electronic, so anything that fits the triple j line-up."

I'd be very interested to see how much money they actually make, considering probably the biggest expense they've ever had would be Vampire Weekend or Public Enemy.

It is lacking at least two big internationals (a bit like Falls!) and that's made my decision not to go pretty easy. It's very easy to bump into Ball Park, San Cisco, Tkay Maidza, Sticky Fingers, DMA's etc at just about every Australian festival.

Granted it's not as bad a line-up as I first thought yesterday, and for $99 it represents great value, but it will be full of 15-17 year old teenage girls and that's a bit of a turnoff.
Turn off?? Maaaatte

GTM is perfect for 15-17 year olds. Cheap, safe environment to see the bands you hear on the radio but aren't old enough to see in pubs. I went when I was about 16 and caught tons of bands who I could never see because of Victoria's liquor licensing.

This year's line-up would be awesome if you got all of your favourite bands from the Hottest 100. I'm pretty surprised that there's no Chet Faker, though.

GTM is perfect for 15-17 year olds. Cheap, safe environment to see the bands you hear on the radio but aren't old enough to see in pubs. I went when I was about 16 and caught tons of bands who I could never see because of Victoria's liquor licensing.
That's a pretty good point. The bands on the lineup really appeal to kids in high school but tend to only play the Corner and other festivals. It's probably something you overlook when you're older and you can dismiss it, but I remember the heartache of being 18: even when a good band played an underage show, kid are less interested than they are for a festival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 'talent' if you will, is most definitely more spread out this year. But i like it. There should always be someone on to listen to. Much like southbound, I was listening to set after set, was fantastic.

Good fun as usual. RL Grime was unreaaaaaal.

Still missed one big act though, Flight Facilities closing didn't compare to disclosure the year before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back