Ground work of all players

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lingy (the only commentator last night with a brain cell) picked up on it (pardon the pun). Our groundwork was exceptional. We are not just the best at kicking. This applies to players on all lines. Clarko also gave wraps to our forwards for groundwork. It was Blardy breathtaking last night

Only Hawks highlight for the round apparently was the one where Punky picked it up at speed and kicked across to Smith who ran in to pass to Roughy, was one of many great passages, some of the tripe they put on up on the 10 plays is pretty sad, all I can say is I'm glad I support the Hawks even if the AFL don't like showing the highlights because it will make the rest of the comp look so bad.

But yes we were about as clean as we've been all year on Saturday night and it was beautiful

It's not just the cleanness, it's the game sense to know when to tap on rather than try and pick it up knowing your opponent already has their arms hovering around your torso ready to wrap you up.

It's the number one thing I notice when watching the other games in the round. So many players trying to pick the ball up and handballing it off to a teammate before they're wrapped up.

Probably the main reason we didn't win the disposal count against Sydney was because our players weren't actually taking possession in congestion.

Only Hawks highlight for the round apparently was the one where Punky picked it up at speed and kicked across to Smith who ran in to pass to Roughy, was one of many great passages, some of the tripe they put on up on the 10 plays is pretty sad, all I can say is I'm glad I support the Hawks even if the AFL don't like showing the highlights because it will make the rest of the comp look so bad.

But yes we were about as clean as we've been all year on Saturday night and it was beautiful

Indeed!

It's not just the cleanness, it's the game sense to know when to tap on rather than try and pick it up knowing your opponent already has their arms hovering around your torso ready to wrap you up.

It's the number one thing I notice when watching the other games in the round. So many players trying to pick the ball up and handballing it off to a teammate before they're wrapped up.

Probably the main reason we didn't win the disposal count against Sydney was because our players weren't actually taking possession in congestion.
Spang did this he took possession in our front half from a high ball that was going to be play on instead of tapping it past the Swans player to a team mates advantage, ended up in a stoppage when it could have been reload and inside 50 again. I was actually surprised when he took possession because it was not what I was expecting

I noticed they practised moving the ball on without taking possession over the pre-season. Ahead of the curve again and defeating the congested game in the process.:)

I noticed they practised moving the ball on without taking possession over the pre-season. Ahead of the curve again and defeating the congested game in the process.:)
Did you watch Clarko on the couch? He believes one way to relieve congestion and reduce stoppages is to reward the tackler more (I personally don't agree with this, purely because the game should protect the ball winner not the second to the ball but that is another story). But clearly he is trying to influence the rule makers to be even stricter on holding the ball because as a team we already play to this style and will be better prepared for this type of rule change.

Lingy (the only commentator last night with a brain cell) picked up on it (pardon the pun). Our groundwork was exceptional. We are not just the best at kicking. This applies to players on all lines. Clarko also gave wraps to our forwards for groundwork. It was Blardy breathtaking last night

Kicking & handballing are clearly important, but the most important skill is the ground ball. Ground ball is 70% more than the next measured skill.

No doubt the trendsetters have been aware of this and developed accordingly.

Did you watch Clarko on the couch? He believes one way to relieve congestion and reduce stoppages is to reward the tackler more (I personally don't agree with this, purely because the game should protect the ball winner not the second to the ball but that is another story). But clearly he is trying to influence the rule makers to be even stricter on holding the ball because as a team we already play to this style and will be better prepared for this type of rule change.

I agree, look after the player first to the ball. I like seeing players use their strength and agility to break tackles. Giving player a bit more time to do this would reduce congestion as well. It is no mistake (we did it well last year as well) that tap ons etc are serving us well.

Whilst watching a few of our 80's GF's recently and was surprised to see it was something we did very well during that era as well.

I agree, look after the player first to the ball. I like seeing players use their strength and agility to break tackles. Giving player a bit more time to do this would reduce congestion as well. It is no mistake (we did it well last year as well) that tap ons etc are serving us well.

Whilst watching a few of our 80's GF's recently and was surprised to see it was something we did very well during that era as well.

Disagree. Letting extra time before blowing the whistle will result in sling tackles therefore concussion and shoulder injuries, which is what the AFL doesn't want.

I've always considered Isaac Smith one of the cleanest in the league at ground level.
For someone who is 6'2" and runs like a gazelle.....definitely.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does leave the opposition clueless and flatfooted when employing this tactic.

All players ought to expect to be protected according to the rules and without any preferential treatment regardless of who is making the play.

Much the same as mark of the week.

You would see a mark as good as Jack Riedwoldt's in any junior competition. Cyril's mark, I know I'm biased, without a knee on the shoulder of an opponent, so much better than Jacks. Admit Walters looked pretty special.

It's not just the clean hands and ground work, but it's this teams anticipation that set them apart. Always being able to read what their opponent is attempting to do means they are always in the right position to create the turnover or find the right teammate.

Much the same as mark of the week.

You would see a mark as good as Jack Riedwoldt's in any junior competition. Cyril's mark, I know I'm biased, without a knee on the shoulder of an opponent, so much better than Jacks. Admit Walters looked pretty special.
I loved Cyril's but want to marry Bruest's

Disagree. Letting extra time before blowing the whistle will result in sling tackles therefore concussion and shoulder injuries, which is what the AFL doesn't want.

You prefer everyone just dropping the ball as soon as they feel any tackling contact coming on? That is a blight on the game. The MRP can deal with sling tackles. I like seeing the Hodges, Mitchells, Poppys of the world have a bit of time too use there body strength/skill to get rid of the ball without being pinged straight away. It has proved a difficult area to police for a number of reasons as you say.

You prefer everyone just dropping the ball as soon as they feel any tackling contact coming on? That is a blight on the game. The MRP can deal with sling tackles. I like seeing the Hodges, Mitchells, Poppys of the world have a bit of time too use there body strength/skill to get rid of the ball without being pinged straight away. It has proved a difficult area to police for a number of reasons as you say.
The rules don't have to be changed too much. If a player can't get the ball out legally after being tackled, or can't get it free after a "reasonable" time, then reward the tackler with a free kick. I think that's what Clarko was saying.

Exactly, and well pointed out. The mark they select is almost always one where one player is up above the others. To me it becomes boring, but that comes back to the commentators who mostly are boring.
Punky's mark was so tough, took a massive hit, kept control of the ball,the number of marks that are just some tall guy reaching over his head is dumbfounding.

Marks like Bruest's one should be celebrated for sure.

On Clarko's comments on tackles and stoppages I think he was suggesting that the pendulum has swung too far towards protecting the ball carrier, too much leeway with prior opportunity, incorrect disposal etc, this more than anything else leads to stoppages and congestion and the so called rugby scrums.

The problem is stopping the over correction if they bring it back to a more reasonable level, but Clarko is right about changing interpretations and over complicating the rules being a stupid way to deal with things, black and white and simple, or perhaps in this case brown and gold?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back