1. Tipping 2014 Winners

Third place: Chopper69 ( $150 + Platinum)
    Second place: scottsdale pies ($350 + Platinum)
    First place: muttley45 on 150 points ($500 + Platinum)

A special mention goes to BIG DADDY, Fabregas, Reardo and Woodie99 who tied for 4th place on 146 points!

See you in 2015! BigFooty's Draft Tipping 2014 will be announced in a timely manner.

Grover, the forgotten man??

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by freo1, Apr 29, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. freo1

freo1 Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Everyone keeps saying to put SNOS into the side asap, which may be true, but I think a lot of us may be forgetting Groves. He had a bloody good year last year and I think is a great addition to the team.

He has spent time up forward in his career (more so early days) as well.

With JA all but killing his own career on friday night, I would hope he'd make way for Grover. And I think Grover could 1) either go forward himself as a mobile target, or 2) go down back to provide relief and let McPharlin go forward for a spell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Kickett Punches Read

Kickett Punches Read All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    South Mandurah Football Club
    not forgotten, just too old and not good enough to be considered ahead of silvagni. Dawson took his job, so now he is a wafl player unless injuries dictate otherwise... grover up forward is the worst idea in a long list of bad ideas that the club has had in the past
  3. freo1

freo1 Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Not sure where you got this idea from? He was extremelely consistent last year in a year that the backline was consistently under pressure. Based on his last performances for the club, this is untrue. Until he's had a chance this year, we can't really make that assesment.

And personally, I dont think he was ever managed up forward very well.

He deserves a crack before SNOS I think.
  4. Kickett Punches Read

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    going on AFL form last year, Silvagni had him covered, he ahd a good year last year, but I dont think he is good enough to displace any of our tall backs i.e mcpharlin, dawson or silvagni
  5. dockerfemme

dockerfemme All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Even though Grover has been used as a key position back for most of his career, he is not tall enough for that position. He has used his strength and determination to make a go of being of key position back.

I consider the players keeping him out of the team are McPhee and Johnson. They have been going well and McPhee has shown ability to cover a small forward in the last 2 weeks - something that has been a bugbear for us.

However, we all think the personnel in the forward line is inadequate and both McPhee and Johnson have shown ability up forward at times. McPhee has kicked high pressure goals in the last 2 years and Johnson played as a mobile CHF in the first half of 2010 (before the unfortunate event) and was very useful, in my opinion.

I understand all the things about the stability of the defense and that if it aint broke don't fix it, but I do think Grover and Silvagni could both take the third tall defender type roll and free up McPhee or Johnson (Johnson would be my preference) to go forward.
  6. Kickett Punches Read

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    quality post, good points made :thumbsu:
  7. Nickos66

Nickos66 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Love the guy, but I can't see him getting another game at the expense of a kid to play back.
  8. Nodgey

Nodgey Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    SDFC, Liverpool, Force
    Our back line has been fairly solid this season - the least of our concerns. I can only see Groves getting a game if we get a few untimely injuries.
  9. Nickos66

Nickos66 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    That's it, at the end of the day, if it's not broken don't fix it.
  10. believe_it

believe_it Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I thought Grovers last season was his best and well deserved his position in the team. However I have a feeling he might be schammered to the wafl for the remainder of his tenure at the Dockers. Ageism being the most likely reason.
  11. Big Animal

Big Animal All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Cockburn Doctors
    currently: key backs - McPharlin, Dawson, Silvagni, Grover, Faulks = good

my concern (over the next two years)

If Silvagni doesn't get enough opportunities - leave for greener pastures
    Grover - retire
    McPharlin - retire

Key backs: Dawson, Faulks, (Anthony?) = not good. A big backward step for Freo defence.

This is why I want SNOS in as much as possible this year - and he's v. good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. bruzaar62

bruzaar62 Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Aston Villa
    Silvagni should be played before Grover,he is part of our future wheras Groves has been a loyal servant but should only play if we have an injury run similar to last year or decide to rest some of the others.
    Would not like to see either Johnson or McPhee up forward ,they clearly play their best down back...so leave as is !!
    Would hate to see Silver leave through lack of opportunities !!!!!!!
    Silvagni is also more flexible in Grover,as he can pinch hit in the ruck and play forward
  13. Schauermann

Schauermann Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Agree.
  14. Harry Reems

Harry Reems All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I understand that at the end of the season last year Antoni announced that he was retiring to Mark Harvey after playing his 200th game. Apparently he was then convinced to pay another year as the club had culled a lot of players last year and that Harve's didn't want to lose an experienced backman following the retirement of Roger Hayden.

Dawson is younger and quicker and has Grove's spot at the moment.
  15. Schauermann

Schauermann Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Actually have no problem with this. Should be a win situation for everybody.

Surely Pav should not retire after playing in the seconds in his final year, but Grover is more a workhorse player, who does whatever is needing by the club...
  16. Prem87

Prem87 Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Play him at FF, you need a solid target down there. Silvagni to FF??
  17. Marlin01

Marlin01 Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    There wouldn't be too many sides that have potential KPD options as good as Grover and Silvani playing in their reserve teams/leagues.
  18. strobe00

strobe00 Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Agree with all this.

Silvagni is contracted until the end of next year. It seems pretty likely that he'll be able to work his way into the team at some point due to injury, suspension, experimentation or something else. i.e. he'll get a shot, and won't be going anywhere.

He'll know what the coaches expect him to work on, and will be working hard in the WAFL to show it.

I think Grover is insurance really. A great player and a great servant of the club, but it's unlikely that he'll be getting a game unless we have injuries in KPP or third tall spots (hope not!). Or we are well and truly out of the finals race in the last couple of games in the season (hope not!).

Don't see him playing another game this year, but a good chance the club will look to keep him associated with the club in a similar way as they have with Roger.