GST revisited - Who will be the winners (and more important, the losers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
One report I read was self funded retirees are fair and square in the rifle sights. I would have thought they would be big coalition supporters

Winners will be everyone - anyone who will suffer will be compensated at a rate equal to or better off.

Losers will be all of us as the increased taxes will be squandered in compensation and buying off State Govts.

CbayT

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Corporate Tax Accountants/consutants
There is very little avoidance and the company doesn't pay it. So both the ato/companies like it.

The reason it is good high wealth individuals , visitor and self funded retirees will pay it

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
There is very little avoidance and the company doesn't pay it. So both the ato/companies like it.

The reason it is good high wealth individuals , visitor and self funded retirees will pay it

Consultants. big six or whatever they are these days were the cheer squad for the GST, maybe also because instead of simplifying things it made them harder, thus more tax consulting needed

Consultants. big six or whatever they are these days were the cheer squad for the GST, maybe also because instead of simplifying things it made them harder, thus more tax consulting needed

If it had actually done away with the taxes we were promised ...life would be far easier.

The cash economy has been signicantly shrunk by amongst other things the gst
You must not have had any work carried out on your home.
I can't remember the last time a tradesman sent me an invoice or accepted cheques.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You must not have had any work carried out on your home.
I can't remember the last time a tradesman sent me an invoice or accepted cheques.

Well if its good enough for a prime minister ....

Ah Promised. by politicians

Lol, remember Pess, government is your friend. Government is a benevolent force for the betterment of society.

Trust politicians, they have YOUR best interests in mind.

Meds Obeid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no winners...losers are us, and what makes anyone think that it will stop at 15%?

Keating chimed in.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...-hospital-funding-crisis-20160202-gmjutl.html
"Writing exclusively for Fairfax Media, he has warned the tax is inherently regressive, provides no incentive for behavioural change, would reward foreign shareholders if it was used to fund a lower company tax rate, and worst of all, would inevitably lead to a 20 cents-in-the-dollar GST rate in line with much of Europe, before long."

"The fact is, an increase in the GST is not tax reform, it is tax penury - there is nothing reformist about it," he writes.

Keating gets its. It is what I have been saying all along.

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
Keating gets its. It is what I have been saying all along.

He didn't always. Those who agree with him now should be thanking their lucky stars he was overruled in 1985.

This whole debate comes down to one problem - the states have to spend but they are very restricted in how they can raise revenue. So you get suggestions like those from Premiers Baird and Weatherall, because they won't bear the political brunt of what they propose.

He didn't always. Those who agree with him now should be thanking their lucky stars he was overruled in 1985.

This whole debate comes down to one problem - the states have to spend but they are very restricted in how they can raise revenue. So you get suggestions like those from Premiers Baird and Weatherall, because they won't bear the political brunt of what they propose.
Don't think I have heard or read anywhere where the federal government has stated that any increase will go back to the states.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

And thus lies one of the big weaknesses in our 115 year old & way outmoded, inefficient & ineffective Federal system of Gument. The fiscal imbalance is just another example of this.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
It'll be dead in the water, because they'll never be able to sell it to the states.

Weatherill, Hodgman, Andrews and Giles don't want any reform to the bucket of money that pays for their bloated public services, Barnett won't cop any change unless the distribution format is fixed.

Baird appears to be the only one with a sensible proposal, but given what I saw on 730 the other night, I'd say chances are slim to none he can convince his colleagues of its merits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back