Resource Guide to Simonds Stadium and Geelong (last updated 2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

So with only 4 "full time" AFL grounds left for me to go to before I complete my set, I was wondering about going to a game at Skilled. Given Essendon won't be playing down there for the foreseeable future it'll probably be for a Suns/Giants game. So

a) Is it easy to get a ticket, or is it like WC at Skilled where you need to be very very quick?
In my experience, it's really easy to get a ticket. Unless it's a blockbuster like the Freo vs Geelong game that sold out at Simonds, there should be plenty of tickets up for grabs.

c) What good burger joints are there near the ground/station?
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Resta...adium-Geelong_Geelong_Bellarine_Victoria.html

Moorabool St Fish & Chips (great place) sell burgers if I remember correctly.

d) Am I likely to get stabbed if I show up wearing a GC jumper with number 9 on the back? (When I get one it'll probably have 1 for Jaeger but best to be prepared).
Doubt it, for some reason the Cats crowd still cheers on Ablett, so you should feel right at home.

In my experience, it's really easy to get a ticket. Unless it's a blockbuster like the Freo vs Geelong game that sold out at Simonds, there should be plenty of tickets up for grabs.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Resta...adium-Geelong_Geelong_Bellarine_Victoria.html

Moorabool St Fish & Chips (great place) sell burgers if I remember correctly.

Doubt it, for some reason the Cats crowd still cheers on Ablett, so you should feel right at home.

Excellent. Thanks a lot. Will be sure to check out those burgers.

I've gotten used to calling it Skilled. I can't go back now.

Really well change what you are used to when posing on another clubs site or it will be edited for accuracy. Does anyone call Ess the "Same Olds" anymore. Things change.

Plenty of seats in the Players stand each week , I'm sure you can get a seat especially against interstate sides.

Really well change what you are used to when posing on another clubs site or it will be edited for accuracy. Does anyone call Ess the "Same Olds" anymore. Things change.

Plenty of seats in the Players stand each week , I'm sure you can get a seat especially against interstate sides.

Better calling us that than our nickname from around the 40s ;)

You have me there , not sure what nickname you would talking about and when Ess became the Bombers. A boo I have has refers to the as such in 1946

Blood Stained *word you'll hear frequently in rap songs referring to people of African American origin*

Yeah. We were really called that.

Blood Stained *word you'll hear frequently in rap songs referring to people of African American origin*

As a nickname though. Remember that's all it and all other nicknames were - unofficial nicknames that stemmed from the outer.

You would never have seen it written in the footy record like you do these days with "Geelong Cats".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a dumby , I had to Google it find out the word you were careful not to say. As distasteful to modern tastes as it is , its not unusual in that era to have nicknames like that. How easily was it thrown around. Ever see "The Dam Busters" , The dog in that was a Black Lab and it name was ....
The whole issue was look on with different eyes. Back in the 70's there was a Geelong player called David "Darkie" Harris , I highly suspect he was aboriginal.

Dark days indeed.

I've gotten used to calling it Skilled. I can't go back now.

Well the ground is still called Kardinia Park if that helps, it's only the stadium that has naming rights, and see people stopped calling it Shell stadium, I'm sure they can stop calling it Skilled.

Much like Docklands stadium is currently called Etihad Stadium, yet plent of ignorant people call it the "Dome". Sorry Telstra, but all the marketting in the world doesn't make a flat roof a dome.

Anyone find the parking at Simonds Stadium shithouse this year ?
We park in th carpark by the pool [off Hopkins St,I think it's called] and they've got the biggest bloody idiots directing cars to park this year.They barely leave and spaces between rows.

I stopped parking in the grounds since the Premiership stand opened. Seems to have all gone to s**t around that time.

This looks good for us in 2015!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The AFL's Patrick Keane said the league would fit its matches in around cricket."We are happy to work around their schedule, as this will be a fantastic event for the city, state and the country," he said."We can use Etihad and Simonds Stadium to fill in around Victoria for the first two weeks of the season."

Read more: news.com.au/national-news/victoria/afl-punted-from-the-mcg-to-make-room-for-cricket-world-cup/story-fnii5sms-1226688356904#ixzz2aX9J6mh4

Anyone find the parking at Simonds Stadium shithouse this year ?
We park in th carpark by the pool [off Hopkins St,I think it's called] and they've got the biggest bloody idiots directing cars to park this year.They barely leave and spaces between rows.

I found the lines at the gates on either end of Moorobool St massive sat night.. as bad as I have seen all year

This looks good for us in 2015!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The AFL's Patrick Keane said the league would fit its matches in around cricket."We are happy to work around their schedule, as this will be a fantastic event for the city, state and the country," he said."We can use Etihad and Simonds Stadium to fill in around Victoria for the first two weeks of the season."

Read more: news.com.au/national-news/victoria/afl-punted-from-the-mcg-to-make-room-for-cricket-world-cup/story-fnii5sms-1226688356904#ixzz2aX9J6mh4

this would be fantastic... would any of the money profited from the non cats games be going to the club?

I found the lines at the gates on either end of Moorobool St massive sat night.. as bad as I have seen all year

I don't use those entrances,I come in via the new one at the back of the Premiership Stand.
At the first game this year the Moorabool St entrances were long lines but you could walk straight in the other entrances.

this would be fantastic... would any of the money profited from the non cats games be going to the club?

I'm sure it would. Why else would we allow the games to be played there? But I think with the bulldogs playing there we just take a smaller cut than dockland, and you have to remember the club turns a pretty healthy profit on food and bevies so might not even have to take a cut of the gate?

I don't use those entrances,I come in via the new one at the back of the Premiership Stand.
At the first game this year the Moorabool St entrances were long lines but you could walk straight in the other entrances.

I have been using the Bernie Smith gates this year... Saturday the line was ridiculous so walked round to the Doug Wade ones near where the premiership and players stand meet and get straight in

Random question all....

Does anyone know the name off the place that sells the bratwursts and kranskys at the back of the players stand?
They are sensational and the missus is sick of me talking them up, and has threatened not to let me into the house unless I find out the name...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back