Resource Guide to Simonds Stadium and Geelong (last updated 2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just booked some tickets at Skilled Stadium for the St Kilda game on June 15th. It will be my 4 year old son's first live game (hence booking the only home mid-afternoon game of the season).

I haven't been to Skilled in a few years (being stuck in Tasmania) and would normally stand if I do. However, I've booked some seats which are 'PSL6, row S'. Does this mean it is in the Premiership stand in the pocket/wing on the La Trobe Street side of the ground? I'm not too fussed, but just interested if anyone knows.

I've just booked some tickets at Skilled Stadium for the St Kilda game on June 15th. It will be my 4 year old son's first live game (hence booking the only home mid-afternoon game of the season).

I haven't been to Skilled in a few years (being stuck in Tasmania) and would normally stand if I do. However, I've booked some seats which are 'PSL6, row S'. Does this mean it is in the Premiership stand in the pocket/wing on the La Trobe Street side of the ground? I'm not too fussed, but just interested if anyone knows.
PSL = Players Stand Lower
So bay 6 row S

Pretty certain given that I am in Bay 11 of the same stand you will be around in the forward pocket on the moorobool street side. (Bay 12 is to my left and then the premiership stand)
I'm just guessing the pocket, you could find yourself right behind the cheersquad
Gysenn what bay is the cheersquad in?

PSL = Players Stand Lower
So bay 6 row S

Pretty certain given that I am in Bay 11 of the same stand you will be around in the forward pocket on the moorobool street side. (Bay 12 is to my left and then the premiership stand)
I'm just guessing the pocket, you could find yourself right behind the cheersquad
Gysenn what bay is the cheersquad in?

If they're in Bay 6 on the lower level then they'll be around about between the goal and point posts.Im in Bay 4,which is really the first Bay where you go up the stairs.Bays 1,2 & 3 are the Bays between the opposition race and the new stand [infront of the big screen]

Lets just call it Kardinia Park and be done with it.

Yep, will always call it that. Likewise Docklands is still Docklands stadium. Might refer to it as Etihad here or there, but hell, the EPL also have an Etihad Stadium. :p
Still to this day, Telstra Dome is the dumbest name....it has a flat roof, hence can't be a dome. The Astrodome in Houston, Texas...now's that's a dome stadium.

Yet I still identify it as the city of Manchester stadium.
I don't take much notice of naming rights.

Our home will always be Kardinia Park for me, no amount of money will change that for me
It still is named that anyway. Both are correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It still is named that anyway. Both are correct.
Exactly.. as Rex used to say *shell/skilled/baytec stadium in the confines of Kardinia Park

The entire precinct (if that's the right word) is Kardinia Park

Hey guys sorry to intrude.
A couple mates and I are coming over from Perth for a weekend of games in round 13 and on the Sunday we were going to come down to Geelong to watch the Cats-Saints game. Any tips on the best part of the stadium to get tickets for?
Cheers in advance.

Hey guys sorry to intrude.
A couple mates and I are coming over from Perth for a weekend of games in round 13 and on the Sunday we were going to come down to Geelong to watch the Cats-Saints game. Any tips on the best part of the stadium to get tickets for?
Cheers in advance.
53503s.gif

If you want the nicest facilities, then the Players, Premiership or Hickey Stands have all been built in the past decade (in order of newest to oldest). Anything surrounding the right hand 50m arc in the above map is a tired part of the ground, which doesn't have the creature comforts but still retains the classic 'suburban footy feel'.

As Kardinia Park is a narrow and long ground, it makes the view from the wing even better than at other grounds.

53503s.gif

If you want the nicest facilities, then the Players, Premiership or Hickey Stands have all been built in the past decade (in order of newest to oldest). Anything surrounding the right hand 50m arc in the above map is a tired part of the ground, which doesn't have the creature comforts but still retains the classic 'suburban footy feel'.

As Kardinia Park is a narrow and long ground, it makes the view from the wing even better than at other grounds.
Cheers mate. :thumbsu:

Hey there yes i know i am not a geelong fan i am a north melbourne fan last week game on friday was the first time i ever been to the stadium. I was very impress with your stadium your guys are very lucky to have that even my mate who come with me he a richmond supporter he was very impress with it to me and my mate we walk around the ground before the game started i like how your club shows its history around the ground i wish my club had its own stadium like the old days anyway your fans are really great i had no problems with anyone i will be back down there again

Glad you liked the place. Having our own fortress makes us hard to beat down here. Fans like you that travel really help your side perform. Keep on coming, eventually you may see your team win.

Thanks mate :) Glad to hear you enjoyed your time there! My favourite bit is where you can compare the size of your hands to the players' hands!

Hey there yes i know i am not a geelong fan i am a north melbourne fan last week game on friday was the first time i ever been to the stadium. I was very impress with your stadium your guys are very lucky to have that even my mate who come with me he a richmond supporter he was very impress with it to me and my mate we walk around the ground before the game started i like how your club shows its history around the ground i wish my club had its own stadium like the old days anyway your fans are really great i had no problems with anyone i will be back down there again
Would you be happy to play home games at Simonds, say, against teams like GWS. Brisbane or GC?

Thanks for the feedback. The ground has come a fair way , I do miss some of the old stuff but thats just me. Is a pretty high standard for a suburban ground. Did you have seats where did you watch the game from?

Thanks for the feedback. The ground has come a fair way , I do miss some of the old stuff but thats just me. Is a pretty high standard for a suburban ground. Did you have seats where did you watch the game from?
yea i sit in the ford stand end the gary ablett terrace its a good view from there but isnt that end of the ground going to get redevelop soon?

yea i sit in the ford stand end the gary ablett terrace its a good view from there but isnt that end of the ground going to get redevelop soon?
Stage 4 and Stage 5 would continue the recent stands around. Stage 4 , the next one planed would probably mean the demolition of the Brownlow on the Park side wing , so the Ford stand at this stage would be the last done. I suspect the wing seats would be the highest value as the viewing is so good. If you ever come down to watch North Ballarat or Werribee play in the VFL , you would sit in the Hickey (the one next to Moorabool St) and you would see how close the wing stands are to the footy. I sit it the new Players Stand in AFL games (Barwon end goals) very good view , probably similar to the MCG , but its a bit separated from play compared to the old stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back