News Guy mckenna sacked by Gold Coast are we interested

Remove this Banner Ad

Brennan said it was one year too late, basically said hes a s**t coach. From an outsiders perspective I think hes coaching was average, wouldn't want him at freo to be honest.

Not that I'm interested in him coming to freo, cos I'm not at all, but does anyone know what Mark Neeld is doing these days? The way the media treated him was disgusting.

Well, how about just reading/listening to media reports. Fairly well covered that there was a fair amount of unrest with the players at GC regarding McKenna. Unfortunate fact these days, but often the players have far more involvement in these decisions...... Brenton Sanderson can back that up. Personally I think McKenna appears to be hard-done-by from the outside looking in.
Oh and yes, there was some destabilising friction when he was a West Coast assistant. Hence he was only in the job for one season before he was "encouraged" to head to Collingwood.

But thanks for your newbie assertion there frida. I am not generally a poster on this site that talks bullshit for the sake of it. o_O
Yes, because the media is oh so accurate. I guess you're a fan of the hack also?

It may or may not be true, but using the media as a source to suggest your claim is rock solid isn't that rock solid in my eyes.

I'd also be curious to know what me being a 'newbie' has to do with anything? Either I've got a valid point, and judging by the way you flew off the handle, my point is very valid, or I don't.

Wonder if this job (GC) gets Worsfold back in. I'm assuming that both GC and the Crows made their move believing Thompson would be available. Not a heap of other (successful) coaches jump to mind. Someone mentioned Brendon Bolton as a coach, well i reckon i could have won the games coaching Hawthorn that he did. Perhaps Brett Ratten will be the man

BTW what ever happened to Dean Laidley? i thought he would have appeared somewhere. Last i heard he was an assistant at the Saints.

Wonder if this job (GC) gets Worsfold back in. I'm assuming that both GC and the Crows made their move believing Thompson would be available. Not a heap of other (successful) coaches jump to mind. Someone mentioned Brendon Bolton as a coach, well i reckon i could have won the games coaching Hawthorn that he did. Perhaps Brett Ratten will be the man

BTW what ever happened to Dean Laidley? i thought he would have appeared somewhere. Last i heard he was an assistant at the Saints.

There isn't many decent coaches available. I think that's why some of these bottom teams can't get off the ground. Although Guy may not be ideal I can't see them finding a better coach they are all contracted.

There isn't many decent coaches available. I think that's why some of these bottom teams can't get off the ground. Although Guy may not be ideal I can't see them finding a better coach they are all contracted.

Mcartney is on the nose at Bulldogs too by all accounts. Malthouse, Buckley, Hardwick would need improved years. Voss may well be considered for the GC spot, not usre if he is much of an upgrade on Mckenna though

Anyone think that there is a chance of Harvey getting a gig out of this lot.
I reckon if Hird goes and Bomber stays on at the Dons, you might see Harvey in the senior assistant seat next to him. Based on past statements I don't think he's interested in senior coaching again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i honestly thought this was going to be a joke thread..... following the same line as "are we interested in this player" every time someone is delisted.

From my point of view, I hope Gold Coast, Essendon, Adelaide and any other club make poor choices. If they remove themselves as premiership rivals for the next few years [the generally accepted premiership "window" at Freo'] then great - especially GCFC. Any instability is only holding back what I suspect a juggernaut when the Suns and Giants are running amok in a few years.

I really used to like James Hird. I cannot understand why he would basically continually fight this ASADA odyssey in court after the recent court ruling slapped down all Hird's/Essendons previous arguments.
Poor choice, Jimmy - you don't give a s**t about the players or your club. Give your ego a rest and cop it on the chin. Face up to the fact you ****ed up - no matter how minor it may seem to you - BUT on the other hand continue ruining your club and eliminate another potential premiership rival..

Neeld was slayed by the media but he wasn't much of a coach who had to deal with a shocking dept.
At Melbourne when they let them bring in the cameras once pre game showing his coaching it was almost embarrassing and difficult just to watch..

Seriously apart from Thompson and Worsfold you are picking between guys who have been sacked or are untested as senior coaches. I think a few have jumped expecting Bomber to take over. Rodney Eade may be a go for Adelaide?

What needs do we have in assistant coaches that McKenna could fill? I can't see any.

Goal-kicking skills coach - no - McKenna was a defender
Forward/ruck coach who can teach Clarke to get angry and throw his weight around - can't see McKenna doing that either.

No. Can't see what he would bring that we haven't already got covered.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back