GWS Coaching Structure - Brad Miller New Neafl Coach, Brettt Hand & Addison move into Player Welfare

Remove this Banner Ad

The risk with SJ is that we could lose Pickett

Pickett has to be a big flight risk. Am I wrong that he's been spending a lot of time with Lewis Jetta who is going back to WA. It is so hard to hold these WA lads because of the distance.

Anyway I believe Pickett needs to significantly improve his tank in the off season and work on his defensive pressure, the rest of his game is very good.

Would be great to give Stevie a limited game contract (12 months) where he could be used sparingly but importantly he could then continue on as a coach.

Imagine with Lenny Hayes working with mids, Stevie J on the forwards and in future Heater with our defence it would be a pretty smart backroom for Leon to work with.

Pickett has to be a big flight risk. Am I wrong that he's been spending a lot of time with Lewis Jetta who is going back to WA. It is so hard to hold these WA lads because of the distance.

True has been spending a lot of time with Jetta but you also need to keep in mind that his Parents are apparently moving to Sydney so should certainly limit any chance of him looking to move

Last edited:
would Pickett be a starter in any squad in the league?

there's an article saying SJ will consider interstate, anyone got any inside word as to whether we confirmed interest or offered anything?

would Pickett be a starter in any squad in the league?

there's an article saying SJ will consider interstate, anyone got any inside word as to whether we confirmed interest or offered anything?

No.

He'd get a game at a couple of clubs, (I would expect he will see roughly the same action here next year) but I wouldn't think significantly more regular anywhere else. He's developing nicely and could be anything, but walk up start anywhere else? No.

The advantage to him would be developing in a stronger second tier league making him that much better when he starts to lock in a senior position. But if his family is moving over, then he has a future here.

I've always said that give him development with Stevie J for a year and that's so much better than just the VFL or WAFL as a learning experience. A player to be mentored by, coached by, someone he can watch up close, play and train along side.

Picket has more to gain long term, across the span of his career, by one year of Stevie J keeping him out of a few games, than I think a lot of people (and maybe Pickett himself) realise.

Miller Named NEAFL Coach
GIANTS Media October 12, 2015 8:24 AM
MillerAddisonSLIDER2.jpg

Brad Miller has been named the club's new NEAFL coach while Dylan Addison will take over the role of Welfare Manager.

The NEAFL team is littered with talented players and I’m looking forward to joining them with a view to building on an extremely strong 2015 season.
New NEAFL Coach Brad Miller
The Greater Western Sydney GIANTS are pleased to announce the appointment of former Melbourne and Richmond forward Brad Miller as the club’s NEAFL coach.

The GIANTS also today announced changes to the club’s welfare structure with former NEAFL coach Brett Hand taking over as Development and Welfare Manager and former GIANTS player Dylan Addison appointed as Welfare Manager.

Brad Miller joins the GIANTS after a two-year stint as a development coach with the Melbourne Football Club. He moved into coaching after finishing his 157-game playing career with Melbourne and Richmond in 2012.

The 32-year old will take over coaching the UWS GIANTS in the NEAFL from Brett Hand who'll move into the newly created role of Head of Development and Welfare.

Miller said he was looking forward to playing an integral role in the GIANTS’ development program.

“I’m really excited by the opportunity to work with the GIANTS playing group,” Miller said.

“The AFL team made some big strides in 2015 and I, like a lot of people, particularly enjoyed the exciting brand of football they played under Leon Cameron. The NEAFL team is littered with talented players and I’m looking forward to joining them with a view to building on an extremely strong 2015 season.

“It’s an exciting opportunity to be able to live in Sydney, be closer to my family and work at a club on the rise like the GIANTS."

Miller is the latest addition to the GIANTS coaching staff, with former St Kilda Champion Lenny Hayes also set to join the club as an assistant coach.

Hayes will work with the GIANTS midfield while Mark McVeigh will take over the role of backline coach.

Former NEAFL Coach Brett Hand will oversee a restructured Development and Welfare department which will include Dylan Addison as Welfare Manager.

Addison’s new role sees the 28-year old's 93-game AFL career come to a close, a career which included five games with the GIANTS.

Originally from Sydney, Addison was drafted from St George to the Western Bulldogs in 2005 where he played 88 games before joining the GIANTS ahead of the 2014 season.

Addison said the opportunity to take up a welfare role with the GIANTS made his decision to retire easier.

“I’ve really enjoyed my ten years as a player and it’s terrific to be staying at the GIANTS to take on a role that I’m really passionate about,” said Addison.

“Having just finished my playing career, I have a clear understanding of the challenges the players face today, including living away from home at a young age.

“I’m looking forward to working closely with the players and their families as the club enters a new phase of growth."

GIANTS General Manager Football, Graeme Allan, said the new appointments further strengthen the GIANTS welfare and development programs.

“We’re delighted to have Brad Miller come on board and to have two highly respected people in Brett Hand and Dylan Addison move into new welfare and development positions is terrific,” Allan said.

“Brett and Dylan know the club and the players extremely well and I have no doubt they’ll continue to build on our outstanding player welfare program.”

More By GIANTS Media

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-10-12/miller-named-neafl-coach#.dpuf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Biggest spud to ever reach 200 games.

Wow.....just wow. Scarlett is that you?

I came to your board to be positive but I guess you have all bases covered.

Wow.....just wow. Scarlett is that you?

I came to your board to be positive but I guess you have all bases covered.

Be positive all you want. There's plenty who like him. There's plenty who will think this is a good move and that he has plenty to offer.

I'm not a fan. I'm one person. Don't let my opinion of him get in the way of anything.

Be positive all you want. There's plenty who like him. There's plenty who will think this is a good move and that he has plenty to offer.

I'm not a fan. I'm one person. Don't let my opinion of him get in the way of anything.

One question for you.......What is your definition of a spud?

So I guess we are after a new backs coach for the year ahead, with McVeigh caught up in the Essendon bans.

Any standouts waiting in line?
"Vitamins" had shown with his television interview re-drugs saga that he was NOT the person we needed at our club.And after reading the CAS evidence,thank christ we may lose him.
Taking into account that all clubs have some form of DH on the list at all times.

"Vitamins" had shown with his television interview re-drugs saga that he was NOT the person we needed at our club.And after reading the CAS evidence,thank christ we may lose him.
Taking into account that all clubs have some form of DH on the list at all times.
Vaguely remember him talking about the saga.From what ive seen on him on TV he seems like a guy who wouldnt take any BS.Straight to the point kind of guy.What he say again?

Vaguely remember him talking about the saga.From what ive seen on him on TV he seems like a guy who wouldnt take any BS.Straight to the point kind of guy.What he say again?
Said he "only ever took vitamins",but the release of the CAS file now proves thats BS.
Also called out former team mate about the scandal in an effort to keep things under wraps.
Should be treated with the disdain he deserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back