GWS Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If that's the case that will bring them up to 46 players on the list which is 2 less players then the Suns had in there first year. With the current 45 players for the giants being:
  • Taylor Adams
  • Kurt Aylett
  • Dean Brogan
  • Josh Bruce
  • Thomas Bugg
  • Matthew Buntine
  • Jeremy Cameron
  • Stephen Clifton
  • Stephen Coniglio
  • Chad Cornes
  • Sam Darley
  • Phil Davis
  • Tom Downie
  • Shaun Edwards
  • Israel Folau
  • Jonathan Giles
  • Tim Golds
  • Toby Greene
  • Josh Growden
  • Curtly Hampton
  • Nick Haynes
  • Jack Hombsch
  • Will Hoskin-Elliott
  • Adam Kennedy
  • James McDonald
  • Anthony Miles
  • Tim Mohr
  • Setanta Ó hAilpín
  • Rhys Palmer
  • Jonathon Patton
  • Luke Power
  • Sam Reid
  • Sam Schulz
  • Tom Scully
  • Dylan Shiel
  • Devon Smith
  • Liam Sumner
  • Adam Tomlinson
  • Jacob Townsend
  • Adam Treloar
  • Dom Tyson
  • Gerard Ugle
  • Callan Ward
  • Mark Whiley
  • Nathan Wilson

Harry Cunningham allowed permission to train with the Swans. Not sure if this means that GWS aren't picking him as a zone selection.
Well Nov 18th was the deadline for GWS to take him as a main list zone selection, but GWS could still take him as a rookie zone selection as we have the first pick. But given how top heavy GWS is with midfielders that seems less likely.

Well Nov 18th was the deadline for GWS to take him as a main list zone selection, but GWS could still take him as a rookie zone selection as we have the first pick. But given how top heavy GWS is with midfielders that seems less likely.

Where are the main zone selections listed though. I havent seen any of the NT kids named.

Where are the main zone selections listed though. I havent seen any of the NT kids named.

GWS only went with the 8 zone selections Compared to the Suns who made 12 zone selections, but of course you need to keep in mind NSW is a weaker zone then QLD. But that said am surprised they didn't pick up the likes of Louis Egger, Gibson Turner or Harry Cunningham. But they could feel that there not worth a place on the main list but rather look at then as rookie selections. Anyway the 8 selections are:

Kurt Aylett
Josh Bruce
Shaun Edwards*
Curtly Hampton*
Anthony Miles
Sam Schulz
Jacob Townsend
Mark Whiley

* NT Zone Selections

I'm surprised by the lack of excitement over D. Smith. I reckon he'll be your first browlow winner. Oozes class and time slows when he gets the ball. Will start in the forward pockets until he bulks up a wee bit and then into the midfield. Sounds a hell of a lot like the description you would give about James Hird.

I'm surprised by the lack of excitement over D. Smith. I reckon he'll be your first browlow winner. Oozes class and time slows when he gets the ball. Will start in the forward pockets until he bulks up a wee bit and then into the midfield. Sounds a hell of a lot like the description you would give about James Hird.

Too many good young players to be excited about!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps I understated how happy I would have been if Brisbane picked him up. I'd still be doing the funky chicken and probably have a signed guernsey from him already and borrowed against that for a house. I'm still contemplating shaving his number into my neighbours dog.

So Rick Ladson has not nominated for the preseason or rookie draft so no longer an option. Also GWS has banked the final spot it had to list players previously nominated for the draft. So GWS ended up preselecting 9 players which leaves 1 more player to pick or trade at the end of next year. Here is a list of the 9 players:

Steven Morris
Martin Clarke
Jamie Elliot
Ahmed Saad
Terry Millera
Luke Brown
Jarrad Boumann
Adam Kennedy*
Tim Mohr*

* GWS kept these players all the rest were traded out

Also according Sheedy we are not looking at any more veterans but rather players in there 20s in the preseason draft:

Sheedy said it was unlikely the club would add any more veterans, but admitted it could look at a player in his 20s to provide extra support for the developing teenagers.
"We're after, maybe, another couple of players with reasonably good builds," the veteran coach said.
"We need to get some size into our club."

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=126900&utm_medium=RSS

Also according Sheedy we are not looking at any more veterans but rather players in there 20s in the preseason draft:

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=126900&utm_medium=RSS

In that article, Sheeds says that

"I know we've got a lot of picks there, but a lot of people have forgotten that we've got five of the first 15 picks next year, and we still have to pick two or three uncontracted players also," Sheedy said.

How does this work? I thought next year was an uncompromised draft (with the exception of compo picks). Is Sheeds playing mind games again?

In that article, Sheeds says that

How does this work? I thought next year was an uncompromised draft (with the exception of compo picks). Is Sheeds playing mind games again?

My understanding is that GWS now own two mid-first and an end-first compensation pick, plus have the last 2 seventeen year olds to trade the rights to.

I *think* Sheeds thinks he's getting high first round picks for each of the seventeen year olds, which is a fair guess.

My understanding is that GWS now own two mid-first and an end-first compensation pick, plus have the last 2 seventeen year olds to trade the rights to.

I *think* Sheeds thinks he's getting high first round picks for each of the seventeen year olds, which is a fair guess.

I would say that is spot on with what he is thinking, but given how strong next years draft will be im not sure clubs will be that keen to trade early picks for the 17 year olds, but as always time will tell.

So given that we can have up to 9 rookies on our list but we only have 5 picks in the rookie draft its safe to assume that the other spots are taken with players who have currently played with us, with 3 of those players being: Rhys Cooyou, Andrew Phillips and Tim Segrave. But the 4th player not sure who that is, im hopping it means Isiah Stevens has come back but thats very unlikely.

Also Emma Quayle belives that we will only use 1 of 5 rookie draft picks, so if thats on the money that will give us a rookie list of 5 players.

According to the age today we have shown some interest in a couple of players in the VFL:

Box Hill Hawks skipper Sam Gibson has also attracted some interest from Greater Western Sydney, as has Werribee's Brad Mangan and former Sydney rookie Matthew O'Dwyer.

North Melbourne is interested in Port Melbourne midfielder Malcolm Lynch, who was delisted by the Western Bulldogs at the end of 2010. Greater Western Sydney has also shown interest in him.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ston-winner-20111210-1oovf.html#ixzz1gCD2bwXV

Looks like Aaron Hall is our only PSD selection. On to the rookie draft.

Edit: Never mind, AFL.com.au typo in their draft tracker. "Selection 2: Aaron Hall (GWS)" should be "GC" instead. We passed on all picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back