GWS Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the year we will need to move on 3 players on and if we can re-sign all the guys we want then we will likely delist Addison, and then move on a couple of guys who can't get regular games and just try and use those trades to move up the draft order.
I reckon we might need to move on a ruck. Four genuine rucks on an AFL list? Is that the norm or a luxury?

I reckon we might need to move on a ruck. Four genuine rucks on an AFL list? Is that the norm or a luxury?
Not a luxury with the larger list size and the age of three of them, they Could move Downie onto the rookie list, complicated as he is still contracted

Not unheard of. Usually the breakdown is the #1 ruck, a decent backup, a recent draftee and a project (often a rookie) with a high ceiling.

We're missing that #2 ruckman, but the club has definitely shown faith in Philips that he can take that role for the time being.

Don't see the need to trade as we are stacked with depth. If anything maybe we can move on a few guys outside the 22 with our later picks to give us a couple of 2nd rounders.

This gives us the points to pick up hopper, Kennedy and maybe McDonald.

1st pick - hopper
2nd pick - Kennedy
3rd pick - McDonald

Done and dusted

I guess a lot will depend on what happens with Treloar and the other boys whose contracts are coming to an end. I would be all for getting another experienced KPD if one of these boys leave. A guy like Keeffe from Collingwood could have been a handy type. Tomlinson and Mohr injuries have been good to test the depth though and expose some that otherwise wouldn't have been tested.

The predicament is, not wanting to get to many experienced 'ready now' players as there still needs to be an eye on the future and spots available to test our younger players; before the next batch of players come out of contract and we lose them without completely knowing where they are at.

We are probably fortunate that the kids have developed far quicker and better than that of GC. And that the young/Middle Aged recruits such as Scully Ward Davis have all been quite good, to help bridge the gap between Cornes/Power/Brogan and the time our kids are elite. You look at GC and even last year they were still relying on Stanley, Broughton, Brown, Etc... We haven't had to be relying on the Lambs, Addisons etc as the spread of depth has improved much faster.

Just racking the brain as to who has left so far. Adams, Tyson, Hombsch, Miles, Boyd, Frost, Bruce, Jaksch, Whiley, O'Rourke .... Seems like quite a few in 3 years, but it's a smart way of spreading your age group,contracts etc etc.

I guess a lot will depend on what happens with Treloar and the other boys whose contracts are coming to an end. I would be all for getting another experienced KPD if one of these boys leave. A guy like Keeffe from Collingwood could have been a handy type. Tomlinson and Mohr injuries have been good to test the depth though and expose some that otherwise wouldn't have been tested.

The predicament is, not wanting to get to many experienced 'ready now' players as there still needs to be an eye on the future and spots available to test our younger players; before the next batch of players come out of contract and we lose them without completely knowing where they are at.

We are probably fortunate that the kids have developed far quicker and better than that of GC. And that the young/Middle Aged recruits such as Scully Ward Davis have all been quite good, to help bridge the gap between Cornes/Power/Brogan and the time our kids are elite. You look at GC and even last year they were still relying on Stanley, Broughton, Brown, Etc... We haven't had to be relying on the Lambs, Addisons etc as the spread of depth has improved much faster.

Just racking the brain as to who has left so far. Adams, Tyson, Hombsch, Miles, Boyd, Frost, Bruce, Jaksch, Whiley, O'Rourke .... Seems like quite a few in 3 years, but it's a smart way of spreading your age group,contracts etc etc.
Adams, Hombsch and Tyson have been B+
Miles, Bruce C
Frost, Jaksch, Whiley & O'Rourke D

Hardly any world beaters there at the minute. Frost and Jaksch have most upside to them. Still reckon KJ can be next Harry Taylor.

Miles and Bruce have been pretty bloody good for their respective sides.

Guess it's an unfortunate result of having to put a 40+ player list together in a short space of time. Always going to lose some bodies and it's likely some of them will turn out better than you thought.

Miles and Bruce have been pretty bloody good for their respective sides.

Guess it's an unfortunate result of having to put a 40+ player list together in a short space of time. Always going to lose some bodies and it's likely some of them will turn out better than you thought.
Miles great year 1, not so good this year.
Bruce quiet last year, great this year.
Still wouldn't rate them higher than a B+ to AFL standard.
Jaksch lucky to get a game with us. Still think he's the one we'll regret 'losing' the most. Especially if Ahern doesn't kick on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on O'Rourke? I just haven't been convinced one little bit. In saying that he was certainly one for the future rather than a ready now player like most of the Mids recruited.

Adams, Hombsch and Tyson have been B+
Miles, Bruce C
Frost, Jaksch, Whiley & O'Rourke D

Hardly any world beaters there at the minute. Frost and Jaksch have most upside to them. Still reckon KJ can be next Harry Taylor.

Rates Frost a D. Clearly not a St Kilda supporter.

Seriously, all the best of luck to the ex-GWS boys who made a career elsewhere after being stuck in our seconds.

Already ahead of you.

GWS Former Players 22

FB: Cornes -- Hombsch -- Power

HB: Hunt -- Gilham -- Frost

CT: Aylett -- Miles -- O'Rourke

HF: Edwards -- Bruce -- Reid

FF: Cooyou -- Boyd -- Giles

RR: Brogan -- Tyson -- Adams

Int: Darley -- McDonald --Jaksch
Sub: Whiley

EMG:
Segrave
Clifton
Redfern
Growden
Folau
Thornton
Ugle
O'hAilpin

Don't see the need to trade as we are stacked with depth. If anything maybe we can move on a few guys outside the 22 with our later picks to give us a couple of 2nd rounders.

This gives us the points to pick up hopper, Kennedy and maybe McDonald.

1st pick - hopper
2nd pick - Kennedy
3rd pick - McDonald

Done and dusted

Considering how well you are going , do you think you will be able to get Hooper and Kennedy with R1 and R2? I guess depends on changes that are not yet in and how good they are.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...academy-selections-may-force-out-current-star

It's looking increasingly like our first pick will be after pick 10 and given hopper is pick 4 material I think that we may have to decide to forgo Kennedy at this stage. Unless we aquire the points via trading out some kids outside the 22

It's looking increasingly like our first pick will be after pick 10 and given hopper is pick 4 material I think that we may have to decide to forgo Kennedy at this stage. Unless we aquire the points via trading out some kids outside the 22

Apparently she's a very shallow draft so we will be best served to use the first couple of picks and then pass.

I am anticipating some movement with our fringe players this year which should enable us to get some more picks/points in.

We have to also be mindful of not overloading on mids. We still have Steele and Kelly who are best 22 talents unable to crack it and Ahern and Pickett are others.

I'm still not convinced we are strong at ruck. Heard a lot about Phillips and Lobb but I think if there was a readymade back up ruckman for Mummy I'd feel heaps better.

Right now if Mummy goes down we will become a very ordinary team. We have currency so let's see what we can do to grab a Stefan Martin type.

Another big bodied defender would also be nice. Other than that we are set.

In terms of ruck I agree that life without mummy looks bleak but I do have faith in the recruiting department.

Lobb, Phillips and Downie seem to be the more athletic type ruckman and another combative type ruck would be nice to have but at this stage lobb and co need to play games to put our minds at ease

As someone who knows the core group thay plays week in week out, can any GWS supporter enlightened me on potentially really good players you might either be looking to trade or players that might leave for more opportunities because they are not playing? I love what the club has done to build itself up but there is no chance so much talent can stay in the one place! Or is there!? Absolute overflow of talent!

As someone who knows the core group thay plays week in week out, can any GWS supporter enlightened me on potentially really good players you might either be looking to trade or players that might leave for more opportunities because they are not playing? I love what the club has done to build itself up but there is no chance so much talent can stay in the one place! Or is there!? Absolute overflow of talent!
Sam Schulz is out of contract. Absolute speedster and has 5 years of development in him. Get on him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back