GWS Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

We already have a 196cm, 103kg on our list who's currently out injured. How many do we need?

Since when did having to play a player because they're the best available option due to injury become 'gifting' a player a game?

How many teams have 3 KPDs fitting that description? Can you point out 3?

I agree, if its actually true.

Yes, Corr needs to add size and strength. He's young and still learning to play at AFL level, like a lot of the team, he can't actually do that in the NEAFL.

Given our current injuries, what better option is available?
Hawthorn: Lake, Frawley, Spangher
West Coast: Mackenzie, McGovern, Brown, Schofield
Geelong: Taylor, Lonergan, Rivers

Rahul on Twitter says he is being looked at by clubs. From the little he's seen of the Dragons, he reckons he's killing it.

Happy to back him in on that.
*I understand I don't have fans on this board, but..*
Brown has had a terrific year at the Zebras (Dragons being the Sandringham u18 team, Zebras the VFL side aligned with St Kilda), I think it would be irresponsible of clubs not to have a look at him. He's a great option down back, has been consistently amongst the bests for Sandy and when I have seen them play, he's done really well. Just a rookie list option at present (at a guess). Unsure where GWS sit in terms of list concessions/cutting down of the list, but Corr, Patfull and Davis would be significantly better.

We were into Kreuzer a few years ago. He's a free agent...good age profile and can play

Lachie Henderson is the other. Been horrible this year but has bags of talent. Rumoured to Geelong but would be a good fit for us.

In my opinion Corr will be a very good defender but more suited to the 3rd defender role until he puts on at least 6-7 kgs.Problem is now Haynes Tomlinson and Buntine better suited to that role or more flexible in other positions.I dont think u can really have this discussion without projecting your best 22 for 2017 when we should be in top 4/premiership mode.We are in unprecedented position where we have a lot of fringe talent who are about to peak with great trade value .We should be aiming to get the best in each part of the ground with any trades.Not sure Corr will be the best in his part as a key defender.So there have been murmurs we are after the no1 pick this year(we deny) which means we are after Weitering. I checked and he was 195 and 94kg a year ago as a 17yearold.(Corr 88 as 21year old)and has played on and beat afl listed players this year.

In my opinion any player who isnt currently resigned or is a fringe player may leave for more opportunuities or we trade them out+we need picks for academy players..We trade up to get Weitering.Treloar, Palmer,Bugg, Hampton, Plowman, Townshend, Barrett, Lamb, Downie and Sumner give us the ability to do this.Obviously 3 or 4 way trading would have to happen for this to eventuate.So in my opinion we trade up and also somehow get an experienced big body tall defender for short term and second back up ruck from our trades.Sorry for long spiel and probably optimistic:) but u cant really have this discussion without projecting your best team when we are entering our premiership window

2017 Giants
Williams Weitering Shaw
Buntine Davis Haynes
Whitfield Ward Scully
Smith Cameron Kelly
Mccarthy Patton WHE-(needs massive upside)

Mumford
Shiel
Coniglio

I/C
Tomlinson
Griffin
Corr
Green
Ahern
Pickett
Marchbank
Phillips
Lobb
Academy players
Patful on last legs by 2017?

Go Giants

We were into Kreuzer a few years ago. He's a free agent...good age profile and can play

Lachie Henderson is the other. Been horrible this year but has bags of talent. Rumoured to Geelong but would be a good fit for us.

Kruezer is talented, seems a decent guy and would be a good fit, on the days he is fit, he is soo injury prone you'd almost want to be give him for free to be sure you could win on a trade.
Henderson I am not so keen on, I get the impression he is the looks at me hero type who wouldn't join us anyway as he wants to play Fwd not back.
If Mohr were fit this would be a different discussion, but I agree an extra big bodied tall back would be handy.
Not so keen on Brown, 15 games in 4 years and not much bigger than Corr who clearly has talent and just needs a bigger frame.
As Rahul has noted above, he'd be behind our guys anyway.

Of all the names being floated the one that appeals most to me is Carlisle, he is a genuine swingman, big bodied and prefers to play down back.
But I don't see Sydney being a preferred destination for him and he wouldn't be cheap.

In my opinion Corr will be a very good defender but more suited to the 3rd defender role until he puts on at least 6-7 kgs.Problem is now Haynes Tomlinson and Buntine better suited to that role or more flexible in other positions.I dont think u can really have this discussion without projecting your best 22 for 2017 when we should be in top 4/premiership mode.We are in unprecedented position where we have a lot of fringe talent who are about to peak with great trade value .We should be aiming to get the best in each part of the ground with any trades.Not sure Corr will be the best in his part as a key defender.So there have been murmurs we are after the no1 pick this year(we deny) which means we are after Weitering. I checked and he was 195 and 94kg a year ago as a 17yearold.(Corr 88 as 21year old)and has played on and beat afl listed players this year.

In my opinion any player who isnt currently resigned or is a fringe player may leave for more opportunuities or we trade them out+we need picks for academy players..We trade up to get Weitering.Treloar, Palmer,Bugg, Hampton, Plowman, Townshend, Barrett, Lamb, Downie and Sumner give us the ability to do this.Obviously 3 or 4 way trading would have to happen for this to eventuate.So in my opinion we trade up and also somehow get an experienced big body tall defender for short term and second back up ruck from our trades.Sorry for long spiel and probably optimistic:) but u cant really have this discussion without projecting your best team when we are entering our premiership window

2017 Giants
Williams Weitering Shaw
Buntine Davis Haynes
Whitfield Ward Scully
Smith Cameron Kelly
Mccarthy Patton WHE-(needs massive upside)

Mumford
Shiel
Coniglio

I/C
Tomlinson
Griffin
Corr
Green
Ahern
Pickett
Marchbank
Phillips
Lobb
Academy players
Patful on last legs by 2017?

Go Giants

According to afl.com Weitering is down as 90 kg but might be a case of losing some baby fat in the last 12mths but my main concern is we would have to deal with Pickering but to get him you would have to think we would have to give up guys like Bugg and Tomlinson - are we prepared to do that?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s/victoria-country

But if projecting to likely set up in '17 would expect Hopper to be dominating for us and to be that big inside mid that we seem to lack and also hopeful we would have this forward set up going
McCarthy Cameron Smith
WHE Patton Pickett

According to afl.com Weitering is down as 90 kg but might be a case of losing some baby fat in the last 12mths but my main concern is we would have to deal with Pickering but to get him you would have to think we would have to give up guys like Bugg and Tomlinson - are we prepared to do that?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s/victoria-country

But if projecting to likely set up in '17 would expect Hopper to be dominating for us and to be that big inside mid that we seem to lack and also hopeful we would have this forward set up going
McCarthy Cameron Smith
WHE Patton Pickett
Yeah:how Hopper, Pickett Ahern etc develop is the unknown factor.I read online Weitering was 94kg.Guess we will find out soon.

Weitering is extremely good and is a real shut down defender. If it took some dressing to get an exchange over the line I would do it but not Tommo as I think he's too important and a point of difference.

For the life of me I don't know why Leon didn't play Tommo when Scully went out. I guess maybe he felt we were too tall??

I think SOS could be conjured to trade if there were a couple of players in the mix as Carlton needs a major overhaul. They will get picks (Yarran/Henderson) which they could exchange to us as we need some points for our Academy boys.

A monster trade with Carlton could be win/win??

Weitering is extremely good and is a real shut down defender. If it took some dressing to get an exchange over the line I would do it but not Tommo as I think he's too important and a point of difference.

For the life of me I don't know why Leon didn't play Tommo when Scully went out. I guess maybe he felt we were too tall??

I think SOS could be conjured to trade if there were a couple of players in the mix as Carlton needs a major overhaul. They will get picks (Yarran/Henderson) which they could exchange to us as we need some points for our Academy boys.

A monster trade with Carlton could be win/win??
Would've thought Carlton (SOS) is after picks to keep and use. Apparently we have interest in Sumner and Lamb but you wouldn't expect their value to be in the first round.

SOS is very keen on Weitering by all reports... however we'd no doubt be looking at one of the GWS tall forwards...

getting all touchy feely with a Hawthorn fan because he agreed with you hahahaa Absolute pissa

Or alternatively because he's been a regular on this board and is a fan of GWS, not someone who pops on just to splatter his stuff all over the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caleb Marchbank will be our gorilla defender. Not straight away, but that dude has the frame for 7-10 extra kgs. Hopefully while he takes the time to put that mass on some combination of Phil Davis and Tim Mohr can stay on the park.

I Doubt it. I think if he was in the draft he would go pick 1 so theres a starting point

It will be interesting to see just how active we are in this trade period given 2016 was always identified as year we would break thru and make the finals so the more I think about it the more I think we won't want to just hope that Mumford and Davis have injury free seasons.
Would Pick 6-7 Be Enough for Treloar?
U wouldnt think so especially if hes been offered a 3 million 4 year contract.Plus other clubs want him which will drive up his trade value.Maybe another pick in 2016 as well..Hopefully he doesnt go although its looking like he will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back