GWS Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile, GWS could join cross-town rivals the Swans in the hunt for Lions ruckman Matthew Leuenberger. The Giants need a player to support Shane Mumford. The powerhouse former Swans premiership player has knee issues that are likely to remain throughout his career and restrict him from playing every week. Sun Zac Smith is another out-of-contract ruckman who could appeal but Leuenberger is considered the more attractive option.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl.../story-e6frf3e3-1227497014503?from=public_rss

Pick 6 and draft rights to nathan buckley's first born child
Imagine the go home factor there! Might as well sign the kid up to Pickering prior to conception. ;)

The only other kid in this draft I don't mind is Parish who could be an exact replacement for Treloar

I thought our Academy boy Kennedy is an all class outside mid? The most obvious inside midfield beast in this draft besides Hopper, is Mathieson from the Geelong Falcons. He'll go 7-20, so I don't think he'll be in our range with Hopper & Kennedy due to go 4-10 and 15-40, respectively.

In saying this, I like the look of Parish but think we're well and truly covered with his types.

We should end up with a pick around 7-9 from our ladder position which means we won't have to trade up too much to get Hopper. With Treloar on his way out (presumably to Collingwood), that will get us either Scott Pendlebury/Steele Sidebottom in a straight swap or pick 7 and something extra bloody good.

So what I'm trying to say if we get no mature players in the trade period, we should have 3 top 20 picks at least meaning we get academy boys Hopper, Kennedy + ?. I am personally not into gambling draft picks on KPP in the 6-40 range (Although Sunshine, T. Lynch, Lever, Tahlia and J Riewoldt say hello off the top of my mind, there have been far more busts than wins in that range for KPP).

Sorry about that post. A bit all over the place. Back to work...

I thought our Academy boy Kennedy is an all class outside mid? The most obvious inside midfield beast in this draft besides Hopper, is Mathieson from the Geelong Falcons. He'll go 7-20, so I don't think he'll be in our range with Hopper & Kennedy due to go 4-10 and 15-40, respectively.

In saying this, I like the look of Parish but think we're well and truly covered with his types.

We should end up with a pick around 7-9 from our ladder position which means we won't have to trade up too much to get Hopper. With Treloar on his way out (presumably to Collingwood), that will get us either Scott Pendlebury/Steele Sidebottom in a straight swap or pick 7 and something extra bloody good.

So what I'm trying to say if we get no mature players in the trade period, we should have 3 top 20 picks at least meaning we get academy boys Hopper, Kennedy + ?. I am personally not into gambling draft picks on KPP in the 6-40 range (Although Sunshine, T. Lynch, Lever, Tahlia and J Riewoldt say hello off the top of my mind, there have been far more busts than wins in that range for KPP).

Sorry about that post. A bit all over the place. Back to work...

Pardon me?

We swap treloar to collingwood for pick 7 and 25
That allows us to get hopper pick 7
Kennedy with pick 8
Our pick 26 to get Henderson
Kreuzer pick 25 plus we give them sumner and lamb
If not just Kreuzer pick 25 and 26 plus lamb

Kennedy with pick 8

Dreaming. Carlton are as bad as Essendon and Collingwood to trade with. They want two(!) first rounders for Henderson and I imagine the same for Kreuzer...

Kennedy with pick 8
Did I just drop by the St Kilda board?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just trying to find out dates for the trade period
and will we see any re-signings before the end of the season or when can players officially announce they have signed a contract elsewhere? I do enjoy the speculation on player movements posted on BF but i prefer to deal in definite not hypotheticals

Normally after the player exit interview players star to say officially if they want out which happens a week after a clubs season has finished but for some that won't happen to after the neafl season ends. But here are some key off season dates:

Friday 25 September 2pm - Draft Eligible Academy Player Nominations Lodged

Friday 9 October - AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period Commences

Monday 12 October 10am - NAB AFL Trade Period Commences

Sunday 18 October 5pm - Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.

Wednesday 21 October - AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends

Thursday 22 October 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period Closes
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-08-25/afl-announces-key-offseason-dates

Yeah Frawley is 193 but built like a tank so can stand the biggest of key forwards. Rivers wasn't retired when I typed it. But he has also played on the biggest of forwards.

This was your original statement:
I'll say it again... If we don't recruit a mature big bodied 195+ defender we will get destroyed a number of times again next year.
So, neither Frawley, nor Rivers fit your stated player demands.

At 201cm and 105kg, Tippett is ruckman size who is also a quality forward. The same weight as Mumford and 3cm taller, Downie's 2cm taller but 6kg lighter, maybe we can turn him into a defender.

Carlisle would be worth getting, Essendon are another team with 3 195cm+ defenders, but not at any price.

This was your original statement:

So, neither Frawley, nor Rivers fit your stated player demands.

At 201cm and 105kg, Tippett is ruckman size who is also a quality forward. The same weight as Mumford and 3cm taller, Downie's 2cm taller but 6kg lighter, maybe we can turn him into a defender.

Carlisle would be worth getting, Essendon are another team with 3 195cm+ defenders, but not at any price.
I think we should turn Stewart into a defender as he has size and speed.

I think we should turn Stewart into a defender as he has size and speed.

Long term that key defender that your after will likely join us in the shape of gws academy player Harrison Macreadie in the 2016 draft and is currently around the 197cm mark and if we could we would grab him now but he has another 12mths of development in the u18 system. Also another one that is developing well according to Brett Hand is Finlayson who is learning the craft as a key defender in the neafl after playing his jnr footy as a key forward.

Looking at those uncontracted and our list numbers, we have to delist/lose at least three this year to take our mandated three draft picks.

Addison is an obvious #1. As much as I don't like the idea, #2 will probably be Townsend given how often the uncontracted players have made it into our best 22 this year. #3 would have to be depending upon Treloar - if he leaves then we keep an extra player from those out of contract, but if he stays one more of these guys will depart:
  • Bugg
  • Palmer
  • Wilson
I suspect the club is leaving Bugg and Wilson uncontracted to see how trade week washes out, to maintain flexibility. If there's mutual interest between one of them and another club, we get something for them with no hurt feelings and we keep the other. If there's no interest, one or both will be cut and it may well be both - if we only cut three and take three, next year we'll have to cut five from the three mandatory list changes and two from list size dropping, as we'd then be at the maximum in 2016.

I guess the worry would be if we ended up losing all of Treloar, Bugg and Palmer which would equate to losing 250 games experience out of a very young team and if that was the case you would hope a bit of experience would be headed back the other way. But still very early days and a lot to still play out over the trade period

I'm working off the assumption that Palmer stays, which might be hopeful but a) he's obviously best 22, b) he's obviously keen to stay, and c) his comments about taking what's left over may mean that him and the club have had discussions already.

Pure speculation on my behalf though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back