GWS Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

We are at least giving ourselves a chance with repeated finals.

We'll be around the mark again with some proven top flight talent in Bennell and McCarthy lining up for us in 2016.

Anyhow,good luck in 2016 and I hope your club chooses wisely with the draft picks you receive for Cam.

Good luck finding the extra 1st round draft pick you will need to secure both players.

Say hello to Tattoo and the rest of the gang on Fantasy Island :thumbsu:

I'd say they have the "Normally distributed" bell curve of supporters. It's usually the ones on the spectrum that end up on our board.
Coming from the West, I can confidently say that they do not have the "Normally distributed" bell curve of supporters. It is pretty fat down at the "Muppet" end of the horizontal axis.

are freo fan's generally overconfident? hopefully there's a meltdown when Freo can't strike a deal for McCarthy :p

I think the trade will struggle to occur, because I can't see us offering a lot more than our 2 1st round picks and maybe a fringe player and I don't think that will be enough.

I think either way, it will be decided on the last day of trade week.

are freo fan's generally overconfident? hopefully there's a meltdown when Freo can't strike a deal for McCarthy :p

I don't think we'll get McCarthy this year - I just can't see you pulling the trigger on 2 late 1st rounders.

Wouldn't want him b/c of the supplements scandal hanging over his head and him being 28. Also couldn't t see hi m leaving his home state of SA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any truth to posters suggesting CFC are making a play for Treloar?

Would they offer pick 1 or are they trying a PSD play and how can GWS prevent future raids from CFC not to mention other predators just to ensure at least GWS gets reasonable trade value on any departures?

Eg. We could trade for some players before CFC take them via bad trades not in GWS's favour or via PSD which would be a big blow for GWS

So now according to SEN Carlton have entered race for Treloar with a massive offer but the catch is they're trying to get him via PSD.

I think this is rubbish as it would basically ruin any dealings between both clubs.

Gut feeling is if there is legs in this its for pick 1 with a suite of players including Ads

So now according to SEN Carlton have entered race for Treloar with a massive offer but catch is they're trying to get him via PSD.

I think this is rubbish as it would basically ruin any dealings between both clubs.

Gut feeling is if there is legs in this its for pick 1 with a suite of players including Ads

Would have thought Treloar was worth pick one by himself but what is interesting is in other industries and other employee contracts SOS would have been prevented contractually chasing previous fellow GWS employees like he is now assuming players are employed by the clubs as opposed to AFL HQ which is debatable given most clubs survive on TV rights revenue allocations these days

Last edited:
You guys must be sick of other clubs feeding of you like jackels , we had the same , it's a bloody disgrace

Make mccarthey stick to his contract or freo sells the farm , they want him then it's huge overs for them

Same for any of the others , don't let sos screw you boys over

Just thinking I would love RFC to get pick 1 for Weitering via a three way trade between GWS and CFC if it came to that.

Eg.Treloar to CFC , pick 1 to RFC, obviously sweetners can be included, but what does GWS want? We can give GWS picks but is there anything specific GWS wants?

Obviously we can offer more to GWS than the Pies for Treloar ATM and we can offer stuff to CFC to but what does GWS like if the trade has a number of elements and therefore offer more flexibility and options than most?

Last edited:
I'm happy to back our recruiting team in if they feel like Collingwood don't want to pay up. Let him walk to Carlton. We'll get enough picks to get what we need. More importantly we won't be pushed around during trade period.

Would have thought Treloar was worth pick one by himself but what is interesting is in other industries and other employee contracts SOS would have been prevented contractually chasing previous fellow GWS employees like he is now assuming players are employed by the clubs as opposed to AFL HQ which is debatable given most clubs survive on TV rights revenue allocations these days

Players and staff are employed by the Clubs, even though it's likely their salary comes from AFL grants to the Club. I've been in this argument on another Board and, while I'm far more familiar with contracts in another code, I can't see AFL being that different.

So while SOS in other industries would have a restraint that prevents him poaching staff of his former employer, it would also need to be a reasonable restraint otherwise it could be struck down by the Courts. Given that it is a highly regulated labour market in the AFL, a trade ban with any single club would be unreasonable. A realistic restraint would be not approaching players who are not within 6 months of the expiry date of the contract without permission from GWS. Also, let's be honest, it isn't like Carlton would not have someone based in Sydney to watch GWS games (both Seniors and NEAFL) who could provide info to someone else at the Club even if SOS didn't do it himself.

So yeah, as if Collingwood and GWS won't work out a deal for this. Carlton's chances evaporated when Judd retired, and even then it was slim. Money and finals are what Adam wants. He doesn't want to be part of a rebuild when he's already been part of a build.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back