GWS GIANTS AFL Fantasy/Supercoach questions - 2015 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
A place for all questions relating to Giants players for Fantasy/Supercoach in 2015.

So fire away with any questions on games played, job security, form, injuries and the like.
Also keep an eye out for our injury report and week-by-week threads when the season gets underway.

GIANTS' Fantasy Prices
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-12-22/-giants-fantasy-prices

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread? J Steele any chance of playing early, as he appears in a few fantasy teams at this early stage. I also hear Mumford is fitter than ever?

Can'tsee Steele getting too much of a run, although he played some NEAFL for us last year so is already well ensconced in the team, but I think there are just too many ahead of him at this point

Thanks for the thread? J Steele any chance of playing early, as he appears in a few fantasy teams at this early stage. I also hear Mumford is fitter than ever?
Just need to hope Mumford stays injury free for the season or he is managed to avoid excessive workload so may miss a couple late in the season
As for Steele, i see too many ahead of hm at the moment but could see him maybe getting 5 games at the end of the season if he is in good form and injury free

What's the prevailing opinion on Curtly Hampton? Personally I see him as the kind of guy who can step up a bit further and become about an 80 or 85 point defender in the AFL Fantasy system, but I have seen some varied opinions on those who do/do not rate him.

Any opinions on who will get the most midfield time, now that the Giants have it pretty well stacked - with lots of youngsters coming through, more drafted this year, and Ryan Griffen coming into the mix now too? Do guys like Whitfield etc get proper midfield time or will they be pushed to a flank?

What's the prevailing opinion on Curtly Hampton? Personally I see him as the kind of guy who can step up a bit further and become about an 80 or 85 point defender in the AFL Fantasy system, but I have seen some varied opinions on those who do/do not rate him.

Ahhh Curtley Hampton - or as some of us like to call him WTF. I will admit to being an unabashed Curtley fan. I will also admit to considering him one of the most frustrating players on our list. Every club has a Curtley. Capable of pockets of brilliance punctuated by acts that result in a justly deserved nickname like WTF.

If he can cut those down (and to his credit he has considerably) then he'll rack up solid points.

If you look at the best 22 thread you'll find quite a few without him. I think he's there, and will be barring injury.

. Any opinions on who will get the most midfield time, now that the Giants have it pretty well stacked - with lots of youngsters coming through, more drafted this year, and Ryan Griffen coming into the mix now too? Do guys like Whitfield etc get proper midfield time or will they be pushed to a flank?

Last year I had Whitfield and Kelly in my fantasy team and mostly got better points from Kelly if he didn't start as sub. With Griffen coming in the younger ones will be pushed out further (or to the 2s). Whitfield is first 22 when fit - but he'd probably be more flank than trad midfielder.

I think Curtly is best 22. Very athletic and has some tricks, just needs to find a bit of consistency which I think for him will come with age. Had a great start to 2014 and I'd say he'll build from that.

Any opinions on who will get the most midfield time, now that the Giants have it pretty well stacked - with lots of youngsters coming through, more drafted this year, and Ryan Griffen coming into the mix now too? Do guys like Whitfield etc get proper midfield time or will they be pushed to a flank?

I feel that Whitfield and Kelly both are such great runners and have great delivery that they probably won't be too affected by the arrival of Griffen. More likely to play on the wing than get pushed to a flank. Possibly Kelly playing in the forward half again due to him being a year younger, while Scully will look to also get wing time as shown last year before his injury.

Coniglio to me would be the most affected by Griffen, but it could also mean more rotations into the forward line.

Last edited:
Just wanted to know how McCarthy was tracking this preseason. Do you guys think he will play round 1?

He's a chance, but a lot will depend on preseason form and how Leon wants to organise his forwards. May lose out if decides to have a second ruckman with Tommo playing CHF.

This 100%, there is also James Stewart who may be ahead of him in the pecking order, but at least challenging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who is the number 2 ruck now with giles gone? likely to get any gametime or only if mummy gets inj?

Leon has been talking up big Saucy Phillips and from what I saw of the NEAFL towards the end of the season he was already ahead of Giles. That said, we went through last year pretty much with Mumford and a chop out (Boyd and Patton) both aren't there obviously to begin with so I'm not sure who will do that role. Probably Tomlinson though I think he'll struggle, maybe Stewart, we might even see Lobb get the call up as he seems to me to be more of a fwd/ruck than Sauce who is more of an out and out ruckman. I'll be really interested in seeing the intra club game and the nab challenge to see which way they're going.

Lobb has great acceleration for a big man, which makes him a reasonable lead up forward. He clearly lacks the bulk at this early stage to battle it out against the league's better KPD and rucks. Sauce has to be number two ruck right now. Downie insurance? Leon will want to go with the chop out option if possible. Tomlinson is the most obvious choice at 195cm and strong. I wonder if Haynes at 193cm is another option? probably giving away too much height, but what a freaky athlete. You wouldn't put it past him making a fist of it.

How's Will Hoskin-Elliott travelling and what do you guys in the know expect in 2015?

Like Kelly, he is awkwardly priced at $360K in SC. However he is one of the last of the Giants initial rookies to break out and has plenty of upside after 2014. 67 points avg from 20 games with 3 sub affected scores of <22 (2 of these in his first 2 games suggesting he is more entrenched now).
Kicked 26 goals, 20 behinds which is a nice little cherry.

Currently in my team and I'm looking for reasons not to pick him.

How's Will Hoskin-Elliott travelling and what do you guys in the know expect in 2015?

Like Kelly, he is awkwardly priced at $360K in SC. However he is one of the last of the Giants initial rookies to break out and has plenty of upside after 2014. 67 points avg from 20 games with 3 sub affected scores of <22 (2 of these in his first 2 games suggesting he is more entrenched now).
Kicked 26 goals, 20 behinds which is a nice little cherry.

Currently in my team and I'm looking for reasons not to pick him.

Likely to be drifting forward so probability of scoring more. He also takes a very nice mark. Most think he's best 22 (I agree).

Can anyone please confirm/deny this 'news'?

I was thinking about Griffen for my SuperCoach team in 2015 because he should present value, if fit.

Of course you were, but if you were you can rest easy now

Greater Western Sydney has rubbished claims star recruit Ryan Griffen has been hampered by a back complaint this pre-season. There had been murmurings that a back issue, which Griffen managed during his last season at the Western Bulldogs in 2014, had worsened in his first few months at the GIANTS. But GWS coach Leon Cameron was quick to dismiss those concerns. "We couldn't be happier with Ryan Griffen. He's completed 85-90 per cent of our pre-season and he's in fantastic shape," Cameron told 3AW on Thursday evening. - See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-02-06/griffen-good-to-go#sthash.Pw4kdgLR.dpuf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back