GWS GIANTS Dream Team/Supercoach questions - 2014 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Going early with this thread but with some information coming out on the cost of our players in dreamteam now is as good a time as any.

GREATER Western Sydney recruit Shane Mumford shapes as a potential bargain NAB AFL Fantasy pick-up in 2014, as he looks to make an impression at his new club. The big ruckman will be priced at $423,000 at the beginning of the season, having averaged just over 78 points per game with the Sydney Swans this year.

Fellow recruit Heath Shaw should also be a popular selection among AFL Fantasy coaches.
The Collingwood premiership player, who crossed to GWS during the off-season, will be his new team's highest-priced defender at $441,300.

Other Giants to watch include Rhys Palmer ($394,700), who has been given dual position status as a midfielder/forward, and Toby Greene ($415,100) who, after a quieter second season following his explosive debut year, will start $80,000 cheaper than in 2013. Co-captain Callan Ward will be the Giants' most expensive player at $510,200 after averaging 94.14 in 2013.

And safe to say given the high price for 1st rd draftees there won't be much love for Boyd and Kelly
And as revealed on Thursday, top draftees Tom Boyd and Josh Kelly will also come at a hefty price, with both valued at more than $260,000. Both are more expensive than 2011 No.1 pick Jonathon Patton returning from a knee reconstruction, the tall forward is priced at just $204,100.

In a team full of emerging talent, breakout candidates include Dylan Shiel ($390,500), Devon Smith ($400,500) and Stephen Coniglio ($413,400). All three averaged in the 70s in 2013 and have the potential to push much higher in their third seasons at AFL level.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-06/2014-afl-fantasy-price-preview-greater-western-sydney

which will most likely lead to people looking at Patton and O'Rourke if he gets enough game time as both are much better value then Boyd and Kelly.

I don't think anyone will be picking a top pick over $200k and definitely not above $250k. Most already weren't picking them over $180k - Whitfield was not in nearly as many teams as Scully or Trengove were.

Thinking Shaw is a lock no matter what his price. You'd think he's a guaranteed best 22 all season barring injury, will likely get a lot of ball and rack up the points.

Cornes scored really well in that role when fit last year (repeated 100+ scores). Other than that we haven't really had a dedicated good rebounder/intercept marker, but the price still needs to be reasonable. You can basically bet Shaw will have an injury or brain fade every year and will miss time.

Do you think Boyd will be a nice SC option even being expensive? I think he is super AFL ready and will step right in and not many will have him. Would anyone be able go give me feedback, thank you

P.S Billings?

Do you think Boyd will be a nice SC option even being expensive? I think he is super AFL ready and will step right in and not many will have him. Would anyone be able go give me feedback, thank you

P.S Billings?

Nah I'd keep well away from Boyd. First year KPFs never score well unless they're the rare mature option like Pods.

How is mumford travelling in the preseason?
Is he worth the gamble?

He's one of only three rucks I'm considering (the other two being Sandi and NicNat) in SC. That's purely based off cost/scoring comparisons - it's far too early in the preseason for anything except for injury considerations and he hasn't injured himself.

mummy looking like a good option in the ruck
will Shaw cop a bit of attention? unlikely he is going to be running free through the half back line
Toby Greene is an interesting one, suffered 2nd year blues last year, hopefully ready to surpass debut year form, awkward price range but we're going to have to pick some of mid price players this season
Shiel's price looks tasty
does Smith have dual position classification? he might be attractive as well

What role does Tomlinson play this season? He's got the attributes to play as a tall mid and on the wing, but he's also got the attributes to play as a KPB which is the concern.
Tough to project because he is versatile... Guys like Frost, Corr and Plowman are more likely to play down back before they throw Tomlinson down there for mine. I don't think the addition of Patton/Boyd to the forward line should detract too much from Tomlinson's role as a high half forward/wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im interested in knowing what GWS players people are looking at for supercoach
after two years of massive draft picks
this will be a year where you can't plonk too many rookies in your team
apart from mummy and shaw, I'm thinking that we need to look at those blokes entering their 3rd year
there will be gem who will score in the elite range
but who will it be?
Greene? Coniglio? Tomlinson? Smith? Shiel?
Could Whitfield overcome the 2nd blues and jump them all?

Mumford and Shaw are probably the only two I'd consider. Brogan was our third highest scorer last year and we know how he looked out there, and now he's being replaced by Mumford - a much better option. Cornes scored 100+ regularly when he was dropped down back, so Shaw should be right at home unless someone decides to put a forward tag on him.

Other than that, it's too much of a roll of the dice. Ward might bump his score up a bit, but he's not cheap to begin with. Out of the rest I'd say Shiel is the most likely but it's just too hard to pick which one and possibly make or break your season based off that pick.

Hi Gents,

Was wondering how Jed Lamb has fitted in and do you see him being best 22 most weeks?

Thanks

He's fitted in pretty well. I'd say he'd be best 22 as he's in a position of need for us, at least to start the year.

He's fitted in pretty well. I'd say he'd be best 22 as he's in a position of need for us, at least to start the year.

Will he be half-forward, or will he spend more time in the middle?

Will he be half-forward, or will he spend more time in the middle?

IMO the club recruited him as a small forward/half-forward because we have a dearth of those, so he'll be playing there. Competition for spots in the middle will probably push him out.

Good work dlanod on responses in this thread.

Just wondering which GWS rookies (<$200k) you will be keeping an eye on in NAB Challenge & leading up to rd 1.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsu:

Barrett is the only one, just in case he does a Zac Williams from last year. All the others are talls (McCarthy, Boyd, Lobb) or too expensive (Kelly). Even though he's not a rookie, O'Rourke is the only other cheap option available and generally he's on everyone's watchlist.

Barrett is the only one, just in case he does a Zac Williams from last year. All the others are talls (McCarthy, Boyd, Lobb) or too expensive (Kelly). Even though he's not a rookie, O'Rourke is the only other cheap option available and generally he's on everyone's watchlist.

I'd add Jaksch to the watch list, they should start feeding him games this year, NAB should indicate if that's likely. I have also heard talk about Downie being given game time this year as he has been braining it at NEAFL level, but this seems less likely, yet again worth watching..

I'd add Jaksch to the watch list, they should start feeding him games this year, NAB should indicate if that's likely. I have also heard talk about Downie being given game time this year as he has been braining it at NEAFL level, but this seems less likely, yet again worth watching..

I don't like young KPPs (or most KPPs, period) for fantasy comps. Even Cameron last year, when he was in serious contention for the Coleman, was really up and down in his scoring and not as good as a regular small forward/midfielder-style player who gets lots of possessions.

I don't like young KPPs (or most KPPs, period) for fantasy comps. Even Cameron last year, when he was in serious contention for the Coleman, was really up and down in his scoring and not as good as a regular small forward/midfielder-style player who gets lots of possessions.
Agreed, that's why no-one should buy Boyd, but Jaksch is coming off a much lower price and only needs to avg 60-70 to make money, games is the issue. Fwd rookies this year though really should be coming from other areas. My only ins (SC) at the moment from GWS are Hampton and Ward, both of whom I expect to see leap in scoring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back