1. The ASADA, AFL and drugs in sport Hot Topic board

Media links, the facts, the statements, the allegations, the charges, the court actions, the notices and the clubs mentioned so far. Hundreds of threads, 240,000+ posts.

2. Congratulations to jaydeetee for tipping 7/9 and one off the tie-breaker. FREE Platinum BFSC for you!

Get your tips in!

3. Chat with other Comm Games fans in our Commonwealth Games thread.

And keep up with Aussie athletes in the Aussie Watch Thread.

Gws target: Isaac smith

Discussion in 'Hawthorn' started by juniorboy9, Mar 19, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. juniorboy9

juniorboy9 Senior List

Hawthorn Hawthorn - 2013 Premiers
    Other teams:
    Alright before you shoot me down, I'm a long-time hawks member, I live and breathe anything hawthorn and have no reason to make up lies.

A colleague of mine who plays VFL footy for Frankston and who is friends with Isaac told me the following:

GWS have put an offer to Issac Smith.
    It is significantly more than he gets from Hawthorn.
    He is considering it and is more than likely to accept it.

Believe of this what you will. Personally I'm shattered, as I think Issac will be an absolute star. His first year was blistering, and we can only image what he'll be like after a few more years in a professional environment.

I can also understand why Issac would be an intelligent target from GWS' perspective. He has enormous potential, would be on small money from the Hawks, and would not be in the top bracket of players Hawks are concerned about losing.

Hopefully he rejects the offer. If not, I wonder what sort of compensation we would get for him? I assume a mid to late first round draft pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. The_Axeman

The_Axeman All Australian

Other teams:
    That would be a tragedy. I assume Isaac's contract must end this year then?
  3. hawkheart

hawkheart All Australian

Other teams:
    Coventry FC
    Yeah, I also heard this a while back. Hopefully if Isaac has a great 2012 we can offer him a more lucrative deal to stave off GWS.
  4. QuietB

QuietB Club Legend

Other teams:
    I would suggest that his contract does end this year. All drafted players go on standard 2 year contracts.

Every player in the AFL is a target. It is up to the club to keep them and the Hawks have been doing that better than most.
  5. Great 2008

Great 2008 Team Captain

Other teams:
    This would suck. The club has worked so hard to build itself back into a position of relative strength since just before the arrival of Clarko. We had pick 19 and used it on Smith.......now they can just come along and cherry pick him. It stinks. (Would stink to be Melbourne or WB's as well by the way.)

Hope Clarko plays him every game (if it is true) and he ends up a premiership player. At least we will get something back for him rather than having to let him go for basically nix.

Might mean the death knell for a few of our more moderate performers / older players as well if we try and match or improve the GWS offer.
  6. Rioli magic

Rioli magic All Australian

Other teams:
    Boston Celtics, Milan Lucic
    Pretty sure any offer would be more than Smith's current remuneration, as far as I know he would be on the standard 2 year draftee contract as part of the EBA.

Would hate to lose him.
  7. savagelunchbox

savagelunchbox BFSC Gold

Other teams:
    I'd bet my life that you're colleague friend is embellishing and adding assumptions to the 'truth'.
  8. SHAKESPEARE

SHAKESPEARE Premiership Player

Other teams:
    Play him in the box hill magoos. Run him into the dirt. HOW DARE HE LEAVE US?
  9. gohawkz1

gohawkz1 Team Captain

Other teams:
    If Ozzie, Bateman, C Bruce retire....wouldn't that give us more room in the cap?
  10. savagelunchbox

savagelunchbox BFSC Gold

Other teams:
    Half of ozzie's and bateman's salary isn't included in the cap with them being on the Vets list. And Bruce is on a small contract.
  11. MaddAdam

MaddAdam Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Have heard from a v good source on matters GWS (was right on Goldstein and Bastinac stuff) that GWS are big into Isaac.

Don't know anything further than that so won't speculate but yeah, my understanding is they're offering him big $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Sunny_

Sunny_ Moderator

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    New England Patriots
    I've said it before, I'll say it again.

It makes no sense to me that GWS would target midfielders. They have at least 5 billion of them already. With Smith inserted on the wing, they're going to lose one of their talented youngsters they got from the draft.

Not sure I can see much truth in it. Midfield is not where they need personnel. It's their forwards and backs. Would they play him at HF maybe?

Would be genuinely surprised to see Smith go.
  13. Great 2008

Great 2008 Team Captain

Other teams:
    Great Post Sunny........you are welcome any time. (Blood pressure resumes normal parameters)
  14. Echols

Echols Moderator

Other teams:
    It's old news that he's a target, just like a stack of other players.

It's all speculation too, and I really don't think we need it on the boards when Round 1 hasnt even kicked off.
  15. Great 2008

Great 2008 Team Captain

Other teams:
    Another great post lets ban these threads unless there is some roof. (A point of difference maybe).
  16. crazed tramp

crazed tramp Rookie

Other teams:
    Didn't he say was going to extend his contract with the hawks because he was so gratefully for them giving him the opportunity to play afl about 2 to 3 months back in a herald sun article.
  17. juniorboy9

juniorboy9 Senior List

Other teams:

The news isn't that he's just a target however. It's that he's been offered a big contract and is likely to accept it.
  18. juniorboy9

juniorboy9 Senior List

Other teams:
    He did:

The 16-gamer is out of contract at the end of the year, but said he would re-sign with Hawthorn.
    "I just hope the Hawks want me," he said. "I want to stay. If they want me I'll be quite happy to stay. I think I will have to show them something first, though."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...-for-isaac-smith/story-e6frf9jf-1226266113115
  19. grizzlym

grizzlym Admin

Other teams:
    ┼Źllamaliztli
    The thread stays open. It's been clearly identified as a rumour/unverifiable source. You're free to debate its merits until the cows come home.

Just be wary of accepting it as gospel though - who could forget the 'insider sources' adamant that Roughy's career was done...
  20. mollyfud

mollyfud All Australian

Other teams:
    Utah Jazz, Vikings
    I don't like losing any player for any reason but if we are to lose a player to each of the two new clubs, Smitty and Browny aren't the worst that could happen! We would have to hope he gets a large enough carrot (assuming its true which I have no reason to believe that it is) that we get a 1st pick compensation. With Hill given a year to replace him, maybe Youngy returning to previous form. Wangeen in the wings. Could be a whole lot worse!
  21. Hodginator

Hodginator All Australian

Other teams:
    I'm happy as long as we keep I Omith.
  22. grizzlym

grizzlym Admin

Other teams:
    ┼Źllamaliztli
    Personally, I'll be furious as there's a new player sponsorship badge we have to create...
  23. Sunny_

Sunny_ Moderator

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    New England Patriots
    Ha. This did cross my mind, actually.
  24. Quietasamouse

Quietasamouse Senior List

Other teams:
    How right on was your good source about Goldstein?

If they told you his wife didn't even consider looking at Sydney properties, they would be close. Someone extremely close to his wife (no extra marital affair implied) categorically said, "no offer had been made". I'll believe my White Crow!
  25. shepp

shepp Premiers

Other teams:
    Box Hill, Manchester City
    Not surprised that GWS are going after Isaac, however, I will be surprised if he leaves.