GWS using "Physio" as runner

Remove this Banner Ad

eskimo

All Australian
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi folks,

At the Melbourne GWS game on the weekend i noticed GWS using their "Physio" as a runner. They certainly weren't trying to hide it. He would be on the ground for several minutes at a time, running between players who clearly weren't injured. He didn't use the interchange gates like runners are supposed to, just ran on and off wherever. He was also on the ground at the same time as their actual runner.

Just wondering if anyone had noticed this before with GWS, or anyone else, and if anyone knows if its allowed or not?

Clearly Melbourne would have won without this happening, and GWS should have all their points stripped off them :drunk:

Hi folks,

At the Melbourne GWS game on the weekend i noticed GWS using their "Physio" as a runner. They certainly weren't trying to hide it. He would be on the ground for several minutes at a time, running between players who clearly weren't injured. He didn't use the interchange gates like runners are supposed to, just ran on and off wherever. He was also on the ground at the same time as their actual runner.

Just wondering if anyone had noticed this before with GWS, or anyone else, and if anyone knows if its allowed or not?

Clearly Melbourne would have won without this happening, and GWS should have all their points stripped off them :drunk:
Keep all runners, water people etc off the field FFS. Would save all clubs $

That must be why Melbourne lost. Melbourne should lodge an official complaint, how can they be expected to win with such poor luck!?

We were down to one on the bench (who was undergoing concussion testing himself) and had been since halfway through the second quarter. Physio was kept pretty busy checking on and dealing with players cramping up and other niggles that had to be dealt with on field because we had nobody off field to replace them with.

If I was the OP I'd be more worried about how Rhys Palmer managed to score more goals than his entire team, and how they were over run by a bunch of kids out on their feet, rather than how our Physio manages our players in difficult circumstances.

We were down to one on the bench (who was undergoing concussion testing himself) and had been since halfway through the second quarter. Physio was kept pretty busy checking on and dealing with players cramping up and other niggles that had to be dealt with on field because we had nobody off field to replace them with.

If I was the OP I'd be more worried about how Rhys Palmer managed to score more goals than his entire team, and how they were over run by a bunch of kids out on their feet, rather than how our Physio manages our players in difficult circumstances.

Trust me, there is plenty more to be worried about as a Melbourne supporter than GWS, but you are a little bit testy about it aren't you.

Was a simple question, no need to get your panties in a twist.

Obviously you weren't one of the 16 GWS fans there as he clearly wasn't "managing" players as you put it, he was delivering messages, and it was from the first bounce. Half way through the first quarter he ran off the ground in front of me, after delivering about 7 or 8 messages to players and was absolutely spent. A supporter asked why he was delivering messages to which he just smiled

Is that really necessary? I'm pretty sure Melbourne supporters are aware of how s**t they are (they beat us lulz). Doesn't change the fact that your physio appeared to be operating outside the rules.

Trust me, there is plenty more to be worried about as a Melbourne supporter than GWS, but you are a little bit testy about it aren't you.

Was a simple question, no need to get your panties in a twist.

Obviously you weren't one of the 16 GWS fans there as he clearly wasn't "managing" players as you put it, he was delivering messages, and it was from the first bounce. Half way through the first quarter he ran off the ground in front of me, after delivering about 7 or 8 messages to players and was absolutely spent. A supporter asked why he was delivering messages to which he just smiled

how do you know he was delivering messages? does him asking about injuries look any different to delivering messages?

how do you know he was delivering messages? does him asking about injuries look any different to delivering messages?

I can't categorically say he wasn't just asking about injuries, but he spent a highly unusual amount of time on the ground. He probably spent more time on the ground than most midfielders. He was certainly more effective than most of our players. Came to the bench, got on the phone, went back out, talked to player 1, then player 2 etc, then back to the bench, on the phone etc etc.

I spent a fair amount of time watching him (and the pigeon that refused to move, even when it got stepped on) as the game wasn't worth watching, and I didn't see him once consult with the medical staff after going out to see players, just straight back on the phone to the coaches box.

I can't categorically say he wasn't just asking about injuries, but he spent a highly unusual amount of time on the ground. He probably spent more time on the ground than most midfielders. He was certainly more effective than most of our players. Came to the bench, got on the phone, went back out, talked to player 1, then player 2 etc, then back to the bench, on the phone etc etc.

I spent a fair amount of time watching him (and the pigeon that refused to move, even when it got stepped on) as the game wasn't worth watching, and I didn't see him once consult with the medical staff after going out to see players, just straight back on the phone to the coaches box.

Usually, if a player has a niggle, they signal, get rotated off and the physio looks at it there.

However, with one bench spot left, we couldnt do that.

Therefore, the physio spent time on the ground, because GWS has the kind of players that interpret a blown kidney as a cracked rib that can be played through.

It was just a concequence of a massive injury list combined with inhumanly tough players - imagine a 22 all made up of Mr Nathan Jones, and you get the idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst it is a fair reason, I will say that Collingwood weren't doing the same thing and they were in exactly the same position.

GWS were dropping like flies pretty much from the start. They had 19 players available for the whole second half, of those that finished the game I'm pretty sure I can recall specific mention being made during the game of Hoskin-Elliott, Palmer, Treloar, Kennedy and Buntine as having a niggle that the trainers were checking out at one point or the other, I imagine there were more but considering they only had 1 rotation on the bench it's reasonable that the physio would be going onto the ground to check on them.

First half obviously sneaky conspiracy going on.

Is that really necessary? I'm pretty sure Melbourne supporters are aware of how s**t they are (they beat us lulz). Doesn't change the fact that your physio appeared to be operating outside the rules.
This thread isnt necessary. Appeared? How can anyone tell he was giving messages instead of checking on players? As the OP said. He cant prove thats what he was doing.
Guess he is just upset his pea hearted players couldnt beat kids out on their feet.

He made this clear with his snipey comment about giants fans

I reckon OP might be extracting the urine.

Then post this s**t in the Bay where it belongs.

You seem to take bigfooty very seriously. It's a legitimate question. The last line is just there for flavour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back