Preview GWS Vs Collingwood; Sun June 14 1:10pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Greater Western Sydney Giants "Rally" pic for this weeks HUGE game... 4th spot up for grabs..on the biggest footy stage & against "Eddiewood"..It's time to make a statement against "Chicago" (Melbourne) that Victoria doesn't & shouldn't be considered the default realm in a truly National Competition..this Sunday it's Greater Western Sydney, NSW against Melbourne Victoria! #standtall #WeRComing
Please share, re-tweet, post in your office, bar, room, wherever.. let the Collingwood folks know
The Greater Western Sydney boys are coming!

rallygws.jpg

You've also got to include the "OMFG MCG!!!!!!!!!" factor as well. You wouldn't think it'd be an issue but I swear that stadium has a life of its own.

I reckon if the boys can keep their heads they can win. We have a good midfield, a strong forward-line and the best defence in the league (I'm allowed to be biased, I pay good money to be biased).

The only other issue I can think of is our goal-kicking. The Pies are accurate, us not so much. Will be filthy if we lose because we can't kick straight.

Did say in the OP I'm happy to leave the team unchanged, but does anyone know the status on Nick Haynes?

Wonder if we will be tempted to have two rucks and go with Lobb over Stewart.
Good point. They might bring in Witts to help out Grundy to deal with Mumford, so maybe Mummy could use the help. Lobb kicked 7 goals in the twos on the weekend as well.

Lobb kicking 7 will be hard to ignore - yes I know the opposition wasn't particularly anything to write home about, but he's been consistently kicking goals while Stewart hasn't been. That's the obvious change.

I know we keep bangin' on about Steele but this is the second time Barrett has topped both the disposal count and the tackle count in the same game (and a couple of weeks ago he laid 15 tackles to go with 18 odd possessions) Now that's workhorse. It's who you drop for either Steele or Barrett that is the question.

Lobb kicking 7 will be hard to ignore - yes I know the opposition wasn't particularly anything to write home about, but he's been consistently kicking goals while Stewart hasn't been. That's the obvious change.

I know we keep bangin' on about Steele but this is the second time Barrett has topped both the disposal count and the tackle count in the same game (and a couple of weeks ago he laid 15 tackles to go with 18 odd possessions) Now that's workhorse. It's who you drop for either Steele or Barrett that is the question.
Stewart has been kicking goals. The thing that may get him dropped is the height of Lobb that can be a second ruck.

No obvious midfielder to drop to let Steele or Barrett in, Griffen was underwhelming again on Sunday but his form isn't so bad to justify leaving out his experience against a good Collingwood side in order to let a youngster have a try.

Stewart has been kicking goals.

10:11 in 7 AFL and 2 NEAFL games for Stewart (9:9 in AFL) this year.

21:9 for Lobb in 7 NEAFL games

When I say Stewart hasn't been kicking goals I mean he's been kicking a lot of behinds that have been gettable goals, and when you've got someone like Lobb who is far better at that second ruck job, who's kicking bags more accurately behind you, then you might be in a little trouble.

Agree with your comment about Griff though.

Did say in the OP I'm happy to leave the team unchanged, but does anyone know the status on Nick Haynes?
My vote is for him to come straight back in for Corr, unless they play the 2 rucks and 2 key forwards
Very hard to break into this lineup which is encouraging to see, 5-6 players from the reserves would be on the cusp of deserving selection for this weeks game but would go with possibly 2 changes (Rest Greene after a sluggish looking game?) Stewart to stay in to show Eddie what they missed out on, He did play them in R22 last year
Big test for Davis this week with Cloke and after his performance today he seems to have his radar back on and the midfield battle will be massive, they will need to be switched on defensively with Swan, Sidebottom and Pendlebury all having the ability to change games

Davis will get Cloke, maybe Corr, who is quick, will get Jamie Elliott.
I think it has to be one of the smaller guys for Elliot. When he rolls through stoppages in the forward half I'd rather have a buntine-Shaw-Wilson type caravanning him.

Phil to Trav for sure. Only back strong enough to go close in marking contests.

Patfull is perfect for fasolo - both mid-sized but play smaller and faster than they are.

Whoever isn't playing on Elliott will go to Blair, with corr to Jesse white.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been looking forward to this one since R22 last year. We just about had them, but for a few umpiring calls and bounces of the ball that went Collingwood's way in that last qtr. We know how competitive our boys are, and I reckon this one would have been burning for them over the off season. They'll be up for a big one this week.

Selection headaches (good ones) for Leon this week too. Surely Haynes comes straight back in if fit. Palmer should also be in consideration given his early season form before injury. It's hard to find a reason to drop anyone from last week's 22.

Having watched Pies-Dees yesterday, one thing we definitely can't do is allow them to play Oxley loose in the backline.

30 touches (24 kicks) and 14 marks (8 intercept) off half back and Roos reckons his players 'didn't follow instructions' to man him up in the 3rd quarter.

Gotta say, he was great for my fantasy side!

Having watched Pies-Dees yesterday, one thing we definitely can't do is allow them to play Oxley loose in the backline.

30 touches (24 kicks) and 14 marks (8 intercept) off half back and Roos reckons his players 'didn't follow instructions' to man him up in the 3rd quarter.

Gotta say, he was great for my fantasy side!

I wanna see Palmer in the team to go to Oxley

Stewart has been kicking goals. The thing that may get him dropped is the height of Lobb that can be a second ruck.

No obvious midfielder to drop to let Steele or Barrett in, Griffen was underwhelming again on Sunday but his form isn't so bad to justify leaving out his experience against a good Collingwood side in order to let a youngster have a try.

Green? Could do with a two week break with bye coming up. Had a pretty quiet day at the office. Could be tired. Similar roles.

I think we'll miss Haynes this week. He could have gone to either Cloke or White as needed.

Hopefully the forward coaches are working on the forward entries from about 60m from goal. Everything seems to stop and the forwards run out of space and time in seconds. Opposition sides are doing their homework on our setups so time to change things up.

The only reason Oxley was sent back was because Melbourne gave them a touch up around the contest, and won like a million clearances early in the second quarter.

Bucks was saying that's the first time he's had to play a loose back this year. If we get on top (and I don't think we have really destroyed anyone inside until this bribsane game - +20 odd on clearance differential) then they'll put ox back, but I'm not sure they could be that beaten around the contest again. In any event, if the ball comes to ground, the effect of the plus one is completely neutralized. Hogan struggled to make a contest, and they didn't have the forward cattle to help out. I'm not sure Cameron, McCarthy and Stewart would have the same problem.

Down back, Cloke in the kinda form he was in yesterday is a scary proposition. I keep having west coast style nightmares. Instead of Natinui to Shuey to Kennedy goals (the opening three possessions in that game were ominous) we could have Grundy to Pendles to Cloke goals. I'd be keen to have whoever is playing on White zoning off him and filling the space in front of Cloke. Patfull seems to do that well.

Stewart for Lobb?

Lobb probs give you 1 or 2 more goals, taller, chop out in the ruck and mummy gets some breath.

Stewart gives us speed and knows what to do around the half forward line, knows how to kick it to the other forwards.

Maybe the difference will be who works with the Cameron and Mcarthy the best.

Interesting to read the Collingwood board's take on the game.

They have some concerns about how to counter Mummy and a general lack of midfield options. Taylor Adams might miss the game with a broken toe which really worries them, and there are a few other problems as well.

It's obvious why they're so interested in signing Treloar. We'd better make sure he doesn't wander off somehwere and run into Eddie McGuire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back