Hacks to stars

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
What players would you concede to having made a mistake about in judging their ability early on? Who, in your eyes, were hacks but you now must acknowledge, whether begrudgingly or happily, became stars of the game?

From me, I'll start with the following;

Dustin Fletcher - too skinny and gangly. Looked like he'd snap in half. I felt like Carlton supporters might've felt about Bootsma.

Dane Swan - looked like a plodder. First couple of years in and out of the side made me wonder why they persisted with him.

Kieran Jack - never thought he'd elevate himself above rugby tackling meat-ball.

Jason Johnson - thought he was a list clogger who might just make it as a serviceable foot-soldier. Became the incisive, tough midfielder who epitomised the 2000 team.

Last edited:
If Tom Scully can keep up what he's been doing the past few rounds for the rest of his career then he would be a prime example.

Tony Liberatore. Libba won a Morrish & Gardner before Wheels was the first one to give him a regular senior game in '90. He had serious question marks before that season. A Brownlow that year and the rest is history.

Did you see his early career? When did you come around to his star quality?
I don't think Tuck was ever the star as such especially playing in those strong Hawthorn lineups. Very durable player who always played his part.

If Tom Scully can keep up what he's been doing the past few rounds for the rest of his career then he would be a prime example.

Scully has never been a hack. Is a former #1 draft pick and received a rising star nomination in his first year. If it wasn't for the dodgy knee and being drafted to the club with the worst development he'd be further along than he is now. He was never a hack, just a drastically over paid kid.

Again, never a hack, just took a while to fully hit his straps. Always been big wraps on Armo from inside and out of the club.
He was nothing more than an average player, couldn't get games ahead of Eddy and McQualter when we were challenging or a premiership. I agree he maybe wasn't a hack, but he wasn't anything special until this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came second in the Rising Star in his first year (lost to Hanneberry who was drafted the year before them), averaged 21 disposals, 4 clearances, and 5 tackles in his second. Went to GWS and was clearly made to play a defence-oriented role to support all of the young midfielders coming through. He was never a hack, he just didn't have the output of a $1M a year player.

Chris Masten's one that comes to mind. Hoping Jimmy Toumpas can follow.

Lynden Dunn - One spud in a long list of spuds during the mid 2000 Melbourne side, has carved out a nice role for himself now and played brilliantly today on Hawkins.

Mark Blicavs - thought he was going to be a failed experiment, he is now one of the most unique and dynamic players in the game.

Jeremy McGovern - got sent away from training with the Eagles early on for being unfit, now look at him.

Jack Frost, Michael Rischitelli, Josh Bruce, Liam Picken

For the most part, Matthew Dellavedova's playoffs epitomises this notion.

Came second in the Rising Star in his first year (lost to Hanneberry who was drafted the year before them), averaged 21 disposals, 4 clearances, and 5 tackles in his second. Went to GWS and was clearly made to play a defence-oriented role to support all of the young midfielders coming through. He was never a hack, he just didn't have the output of a $1M a year player.

That game against the Dogs in the wet was something to behold. I think it might have been an AFL record for most disposals in a final quarter (not a rising star record, but an AFL record!).

It was neck and neck for Scully, Trengove and Martin that year for best first year player (excluding the mature aged Barlow).

Stef Martin was no good at the demons, then no good at the lions until from Half way during last season when he played as a last option due to injuries, and was set to be delisted. Came in and has been one of the best rucks in the game since
I've always thought he could make it, but I just didn't think it would be as 1st ruck

i still think Masten isn't much chop & would struggle to get a game in most teams. as soon as he any opposition player is near he goes to water
and Toumpas has showed even less to date IMO

years ago i saw short, non silky skilled half forward/mid who i thought wouldn't amount to much. his name:
Brad Johnson
what a mistake! is that the worst so far?

to counter that I saw Peter Matera playing for South Freo before he played AFL & I distinctly remember a passage of play on the right half back flank against east Freo (not sure about the oppo) where he dibbled the ball from right hand to left like a basketballer & then left to right to get around 3 opponents. I knew he was something special at that stage. it was like a point guard dribbling around 3 centres with an oval ball!

Lynden Dunn - One spud in a long list of spuds during the mid 2000 Melbourne side, has carved out a nice role for himself now and played brilliantly today on Hawkins.

Mark Blicavs - thought he was going to be a failed experiment, he is now one of the most unique and dynamic players in the game.

Jeremy McGovern - got sent away from training with the Eagles early on for being unfit, now look at him.

Rischitelli was going to be huge for the Lions until he crossed over thanks to our terrible board decisions with trades. Hardly a Hack.

Rischitelli was going to be huge for the Lions until he crossed over thanks to our terrible board decisions with trades. Hardly a Hack.
I'm referring to the middle period of his Gold Coast tenure when he struggled for form and was starting to fall behind the emerging Swallow, Prestia, Caddy etc. Now he has emerged as a key cog, I know he wasn't a hack but in that timeframe he was a bit of meh player.

Felt the same way about Picken Blicavs and Dunn in particular.

I also had Schultz down as a hack but have to now concede his ability.

I knew Rockliff was a talent pre-draft as a small forward so I wouldn't have marked him as a hack. He is more in the 's**t loads better than I thought he'd be' category which is where I'd place the likes of Sam Mitchell and Enright.

Another who I thought was a hack though was big Dean Cox. Boy did he prove me wrong.

Again, never a hack, just took a while to fully hit his straps. Always been big wraps on Armo from inside and out of the club.
Whilst I agree with you that he was never a hack, I did specify 'in your eyes'. If people considered Carey a hack on first viewing I'd love to see it posted here. There is no wrong post for this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back