Haddin or Nevill for the Third test?

Haddin or Nevill for the Third Test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is that it's not really about whether he should get a second chance. It's more about whether he's had that chance taken away from him specifically because his daughter was sick.

I think he should have been dropped after Cardiff (if not before), but if they weren't going to drop him then it's a pretty dick move to drop him now. Cricketers, like any other employee, should be able to take a reasonable amount of compassionate leave from their jobs without having to fear for the impact on their career.

With all due respect, cricket is not like any other professional career. If you take leave, the risk is there that you won't be coming back as unfortunate and harsh as that is. It's a tough predicament and I'm glad I'm not a selector.

I don't think Haddin has missed his chance because his daughter was sick, I think he's missed his chance because of his poor form leading up to this point. Like I said, had his form been that of Steven Smith then he walks straight back in, but it's not.
From the looks of it, Haddin is not harbouring any ill feeling as a result of the decision, so I don't think he feels that he has been on the receiving end of a dick move.

The selectors have to do what's right for the team first, and I think they've made the right decision.

Jesus, let's not declare everyone a crybaby because they think it was a tough call under the circumstances. It's a complicated situation, there are valid points on both sides. I agree that Nevill should play, but the points raised about dropping someone after personal leave are valid.

With all due respect, cricket is not like any other professional career. If you take leave, the risk is there that you won't be coming back as unfortunate and harsh as that is. It's a tough predicament and I'm glad I'm not a selector.

I don't think Haddin has missed his chance because his daughter was sick, I think he's missed his chance because of his poor form leading up to this point. Like I said, had his form been that of Steven Smith then he walks straight back in, but it's not.
From the looks of it, Haddin is not harbouring any ill feeling as a result of the decision, so I don't think he feels that he has been on the receiving end of a dick move.

The selectors have to do what's right for the team first, and I think they've made the right decision.

Pretty much sums up what I think.

On a similar note I think Voges had an extended stint out of the Australian ODI side after giving up his place because he had already organised his wedding.

Jesus, let's not declare everyone a crybaby because they think it was a tough call under the circumstances. It's a complicated situation, there are valid points on both sides. I agree that Nevill should play, but the points raised about dropping someone after personal leave are valid.

Well it's like when someone gets dropped because of injury. Being injured isn't their fault either but if someone takes their spot and seems to be a better option they may not get back in, it's unfair but professional sport isn't fair.

While the call was harsh, for me it's more a case of he should have been dropped for the first test? Younger, better gloves, better bat, are we trying to win the Ashes or make sure players leave when they feel like it.

Read in the paper this morning Hayden and Ponting's view, get the feeling if they got their way S Waugh would be Captain still.

Well it's like when someone gets dropped because of injury. Being injured isn't their fault either but if someone takes their spot and seems to be a better option they may not get back in, it's unfair but professional sport isn't fair.
The difference is that nobody chooses to get injured.

It's not a matter of fairness, it's a matter of practicality and team morale. You only have to look at how Rogers responded to the question about the Rogers dropping to see that it's made the dressing room pretty uneasy.

Nevill has done nothing to suggest to me that he is a better keeper than haddin. His keeping to lyon has been wade like. Gets distracted by the bat way too easily.

In saying that he is a much better bat and i would definitely be selecting him over haddin i just think people over rate his keeping. Hopefully he improves as he feels more comfortable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nevill has done nothing to suggest to me that he is a better keeper than haddin. His keeping to lyon has been wade like. Gets distracted by the bat way too easily.

In saying that he is a much better bat and i would definitely be selecting him over haddin i just think people over rate his keeping. Hopefully he improves as he feels more comfortable

He's less flashy than Haddin. He'll get used to Lyon. He'll improve.

The unease within the team about the Haddin dropping reveals much about what's wrong with Australian cricket

I agree. Cricket teams at the top level are such clubs.

Other countries are not neccesarily better though, look at the shambles England got themselves into with the KP stuff.

And the West Indies Board and players are perpetually at war.

And Pakistan is a minefield. The younger Akmal brother at one time announced he was injured ad wasn't going to play because his brother was dropped!

They see it as a combination of betrayal and double standards. He was awful in the 1st test and quite s**t for a while leading up to it, and would have been dropped that test or the following one anyway, not being recalled confirms that.

CA has taken a family-first approach and this is where the players see the issue. Should we take time off for family matters if we don't just immediately waltz back into the team regardless of form?

If Clarke left the team for family reasons, I doubt he would get back in, regardless of the fact he's the captain. He's basically stuck in the same rut that Waugh and Ponting were in right at the ass-end of their careers.

The unease within the team about the Haddin dropping reveals much about what's wrong with Australian cricket

They should all harden up and let the selectors do their job. Nevill scored more runs in 2 tests than Haddin has scored this year basically.

They see it as a combination of betrayal and double standards. He was awful in the 1st test and quite s**t for a while leading up to it, and would have been dropped that test or the following one anyway, not being recalled confirms that.

CA has taken a family-first approach and this is where the players see the issue. Should we take time off for family matters if we don't just immediately waltz back into the team regardless of form?

If Clarke left the team for family reasons, I doubt he would get back in, regardless of the fact he's the captain. He's basically stuck in the same rut that Waugh and Ponting were in right at the ass-end of their careers.

That's the issue. Everyone wanted Harris back as they knew what a vital cog he is in REAL terms, not just in 'good bloke to have in the change rooms'.

But the selectors ****ed up by letting Haddin waste everyone's time in WI then in the first test.

That's the issue. Everyone wanted Harris back as they knew what a vital cog he is in REAL terms, not just in 'good bloke to have in the change rooms'.

But the selectors ****ed up by letting Haddin waste everyone's time in WI then in the first test.
He was done anyway and the selectors knew it. He was going to be retired at the end of this series, even if he didn't want to be. CA basically gave him his swansong opportunity, but like you said, he completely fluffed it with his atrocious form. There's people clamoring to lambaste Gilchrist for his fall in form towards the end, or Watson because he's been so s**t for so long, or Ponting for sticking around 12 months too long, but this guy should never have got a look back in when he was canned the first time. He was ******* s**t then, and he's ******* s**t now.

After how awful he was in SA and the uae you would think a 37 year old would have needed a truckload of runs on those dead tracks vs india to even get on the WI tour and he couldn't even get it done in that soft net session of a series.

Maybe the selectors stuffed up axing him after missing a test for family reasons but an even bigger stuff up is how he even made these last two test tours to begin with.

After how awful he was in SA and the uae you would think a 37 year old would have needed a truckload of runs on those dead tracks vs india to even get on the WI tour and he couldn't even get it done in that soft net session of a series.

Maybe the selectors stuffed up axing him after missing a test for family reasons but an even bigger stuff up is how he even made these last two test tours to begin with.
No one's arguing with you there :p Probably one of the more baffling selections in recent memory. I can still remember Healy sitting there like a chump crowing about how good he was and suggesting that Haddin was the 2nd best gloveman to ever play for Australia after him. This was of course in between absolute howlers and dropped lollipops, not to mention the runs he was scoring :rolleyes:.

I was a bit like the cereal guy...
Cereal_Guy_escupiendo.png

His keeping to Lyon definitely had issues, but ut was far, far from Wade-like. At least Nevill wasn't snatching at straight balls with his fingers horizontal and pointing towards gull like Wade did 3-4 times an over.
Unless you mean the all-improved Wade who is now possibly an adequate A grade club keeper.

His keeping to Lyon definitely had issues, but ut was far, far from Wade-like. At least Nevill wasn't snatching at straight balls with his fingers horizontal and pointing towards gull like Wade did 3-4 times an over.
Unless you mean the all-improved Wade who is now possibly an adequate A grade club keeper.

When you watch someone try to learn to use a baseball mitt as an adult it looks bloody clunky, they snatch at the ball and half the time the mitt doesn't look like it closes properly. That's what Wade always looked like as a keeper to me. I used to find it uncomfortable to watch, but he'd obviously got away with that style for a long time.

Saw Nevill on the TV this morning with quite a long interview with the press.

Really impressed me, he spoke clearly, said Haddin was a quality individual etc. Really impressive for a guy who has only 2 played tests. I reckon we might have a keeper (get it?)

Back