Halfway mark, what's been the Shield team of the year so far?

Remove this Banner Ad

As the title explains, what's been the shield team of the first half of the year? It's been a pretty even year, with 2nd and 4th having less than 3 points separating them. For me so far it's been:

Cowan (Tas)
Bancroft (WA)
Burns (Qld)
Voges (WA, c)
Stoinis (Vic)
Handscomb (Vic, +)
Hopes (Qld)
Abbott (NSW)
Rimmington (WA)
Fekete (Tas)
Ahmed (Vic)

Christian, Ferguson and Marsh unlucky.

As a New South Weshman, dunno if I am sold on Abbott as a fourth paceman. He's had a couple of excellent innings wickets-wise which probably make his bowling look better than it is. I'd have Starc above him, at least.

I'd possibly drop Bancroft, have Stoinis open with Cowan, and bring in Marsh or Christian. It's hard to make a call on stuff like that though, hard to judge interstate players when the only time I see them is against the Blues.

As a New South Weshman, dunno if I am sold on Abbott as a fourth paceman. He's had a couple of excellent innings wickets-wise which probably make his bowling look better than it is. I'd have Starc above him, at least.

I'd possibly drop Bancroft, have Stoinis open with Cowan, and bring in Marsh or Christian. It's hard to make a call on stuff like that though, hard to judge interstate players when the only time I see them is against the Blues.
This is purely on the season so far. I agree that Starc is better than Abbott but Abbott has been better in the shield this season, partly due to Starc's Australian duties.

Bancroft is 2nd on the run scorers list this season behind Cowan. And Atoinis would bat at 3 with Burns opening in that case, as Burns has opened for the whole season and Stoinis has mostly batted at 3

Judging on the Shield so far I'd still have Starc above Abbott. Abbott's got the hauls in a couple of innings but that doesn't tell the whole story. I am sure there are bowlers from other states that have been better than both of them.

Bancroft has more runs than Marsh and Christian, but he's also had more innings. From what I've seen of the three, the other two have just looked better / more comfortable at the crease. Marsh in particular.

Like I said, it's difficult to judge when there's so little video coverage of the Shield. You're left having to rely on statistics and 5 matches is a very small sample.

Ed Cowan
Cameron Bancroft
Joe Burns
Adam Voges
Peter Handscomb
Dan Christian
Chris Hartley
James Hopes
Mitchell Starc
Andrew Fekete
Fawad Ahmed

Starc is probably an eye brow raiser with only 11 wickets, but effectively only played two games. Has bowled really well. Still think he gets a good run with national selectors. Would like to see him do this for an entire summer first.

Judging on the Shield so far I'd still have Starc above Abbott. Abbott's got the hauls in a couple of innings but that doesn't tell the whole story. I am sure there are bowlers from other states that have been better than both of them.

Bancroft has more runs than Marsh and Christian, but he's also had more innings. From what I've seen of the three, the other two have just looked better / more comfortable at the crease. Marsh in particular.

Like I said, it's difficult to judge when there's so little video coverage of the Shield. You're left having to rely on statistics and 5 matches is a very small sample.

Can't agree on Marsh looking more comfortable than Bancroft. Bancroft looked great for the first three matches and his dismissals were either pretty borderline or pure bad luck (getting runout by a deflection from the bowlers hand).

1. Cameron Bancroft
2. Ed Cowan
3. Joe Burns
4. Marcus Stoinis
5. Peter Handscomb
6. Peter Nevill+
7. James Hopes*
8. Steve O'Keefe
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Rimmington
11. Jason Behrendorff

12. Adam Voges