Toast Hamish McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought the big guy deserves a toast today.

Clearly his best game as a Cat, very influential with his ruckwork and his second efforts, and love the fact that he splits packs when forward, very Otto like in that regard.

I like many, was worried if we would ever see him play after last year, but he is proving to be worth the wait.
Is a quality ruckman and if he can stay fit (touch wood) will give us a real ace in the pack that we didn't have last year.

All credit to him for not dropping his bundle after all the rehab, you can see how much it means to him to be playing in the hoops which is pleasing too.

Yeah I was wondering early on why Scott was so adamant that he couldn't play Simpson and McIntosh together. They sure look pretty good together to me. McIntosh is clearly better at getting the ball around the ground and better up forward, and I'd say Simpson is steadily becoming the superior tap ruckman (there was a great moment when McEvoy slammed into Simpson at a throw-in to try and move him, Simpson didn't budge and still palmed it down.).

It's great to have real ruckmen again.

As long as he isn't having a shot from the goal square, all is good. :eek:

Another terrific game (and yes, I know I poked fun at him last year. It was all good natured I promise).

Played a ripper! Apart from the Brownless-esque miss in front of goal, I can't fault his game yesterday. He just seems to be getting better each week which goes by. By seasons end, the McIntosh/Simpson duo could be one of, if not the best in the league.

Hamish can have a good laugh at himself too. Said on twitter that he didn't know what was worse, tripping over his own feet yesterday or missing a set shot from 3cm out :D:thumbsu:.

Was interviewed on radio this morning, and what shone through is just how pleased he is to be playing. Still sounds like an over-excited young rookie. I just love his enthusiasm (& his marking, footy nous, team spirit etc.....:thumbsu:)

Last edited:
Hamish can have a good laugh at himself too. Said on twitter that he didn't know what was worse, tripping over his own feet yesterday or missing a set shot from 3cm out :D:thumbsu:.

Was interviewed on radio this morning, and what shone through is just how pleased he is to be playing. Still sounds like an over-excited young rookie. I just love his enthusiasm (& his marking, footy nous, team spirit etc.....:thumbsu:)

THIS. It's just impossible not to like, respect and be happy for the guy. He's so clearly revelling in just being able to get on the park so to see him not just play but play well and create a fearsome ruck duo with Dawson Simpson is just excellent. Here's hoping they both stay fit because they are incredibly important and after their various setbacks, both deserve it. You can see that all the boys love him too - whenever he kicks a goal or sets one up, everyone gets to him. He must be absolutely loving it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again our recruiting staff and MC have been vindicated.
Contrary to some posters belief they seem to get it right most of the time.McIntosh, Rivers best 22 and Caddy there abouts.
Burbury and Walker more then handy as Rookie promotions.
Draft picks all seem to have bright futures even Luxford who has played bugger all footy seems a likely future player.

The way things were going last season I was beginning to wonder if we would ever see him take the field in a Geelong jumper and it was looking like it might have been a recruiting error. How quickly things can change, played a great game yesterday and could be like the Ottens recruitment all over again.

A couple of those contested marks were immense and something I honestly didn't think he had in his locker. Probably needs to work on his set shots from 10 metres out though...

That one he took in the 2nd term was Careyesque. He's getting a lot of confidence in his body, and his teammates are gaining confidence in him too. We're seeing now why we picked him up. If he and Dawson stay fit for the rest of the year, they will be the ace up our sleeve come September.

The number rucks around the league and their coaches must just be thinking…" are you ******* serious?" WE finally start getting Geelong in player rotation as the Champions move on and instead of increasing their areas of weakness ( rucks, forwards other than TH, experience) they solve one with Hmac and Daws.
Not only that, but they are different types of a 2 header monster. Daws just hurts you all day long with power and aggression and Hmac pushes forward and runs you off the legs. What a 1 - 2 combo to have.

Will be interesting to see when the management rotations begin.

And to Hmac - what an effort to get back. I was skeptical for a while, as was he I'm sure, but full applause to him. The best thing is the attitude. Takes nothing for granted and all about the team and making the place better.

Go Catters

That one he took in the 2nd term was Careyesque. He's getting a lot of confidence in his body, and his teammates are gaining confidence in him too. We're seeing now why we picked him up. If he and Dawson stay fit for the rest of the year, they will be the ace up our sleeve come September.
Absolutely split the pack in half and came out with it didn't he.
He was on 360 last night and said the first few games he was just worried about his body and probably didn't put the off field work and extra work in. Now he had confidence back in his body he had started to do a lot more work on his role, the game plan etc

he said he had serious doubts about if he could ever play again and yesterday was the biggest game he's ever played in, ahead of the 07 prelim worth north (for the crowd etc)
He also just has a huge grin on his face every interview I've seen
Fantastic to see

And at this point I owe him 50 bucks for Movember. .. Let's hope he gets 250 from me

This man and Simpson staying on the park are the difference between us being a very good and being the absolute best team.
Absolutely agree. Surely the debate about whether it's even worth having a ruckman that I've heard in the media from time to time has been put to bed. The difference between us as a team when we're winning the ruck contests and when we were getting slaughtered in them last year is just night and day. No longer are we just relying on winning the ball at half-back and moving it quickly forward, we can actually win the ball out of the centre now too.

It's interesting to see how Brisbane are really having trouble now that Trent West is their only ruckman (along with other issues). No knock on Westy's skills, but he's just always been undersized as a ruckman.

I can still remember the game in 2007 when North beat us in Geelong and Hamish took Steven King and Mark Blake to the cleaners (had 22 possessions, 29 hitouts and a goal that day). Looks like he's slowly building up to that form, which is obviously a massive positive for us!

I can still remember the game in 2007 when North beat us in Geelong and Hamish took Steven King and Mark Blake to the cleaners (had 22 possessions, 29 hitouts and a goal that day). Looks like he's slowly building up to that form, which is obviously a massive positive for us!
I think I said as much in another thread, but I was surprised at the scepticism surrounding McIntosh's ability. When he's fit and well, he's an A grade ruck forward. He's the Ottens replacement; different in that he's more a runner than Ottens (Ottens being a pure powerhouse) but no less effective for his part. We're now getting a timely reminder of how good he is and if he and Simpson stay fit, the homegrown barrier between Geelong and the flag is gone. We just have to worry about other teams now, rather than how to patch our own weaknesses.

That he can play footy and show he can play footy is a good outcome from where it was looking like it was heading. But I maintain a certain opinion on the big man , that to make the pain of bringing him to the club worthwhile , he must do an Ottens , become a regular and elevate his status with performance in finals. Play a game like he did V Hawks , lead us to another Flags and it will be a master piece of recruitment.
Admittedly , I never though we would be able to play 2 Rucks , and I wonder if we would have if Vardy was all systems go. Playing both is a very happy outcome if we can make it work, Simpson needs game as well to keep progressing.

For the moment Hmac is a guy who looks quite good at times, and then looks like a guys on roller-skates at others. The way he approached that goal square shot was a bit strange. Has he practiced set shots. Watching form behind he looked as if he slightly walked left and then shanked the kick. Im sure if he puts some work in that can be eradicated...an it must.

That he is starting to marks up forward is a BIG plus but I want him to do it when he is marked by some quality defenders.

There is no doubt he is moving in the right direction:thumbsu:

The get of jail-ness that him and Hawkins provide will be very handy come September. Doesn't matter if Lake comes back with the both of them down there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back