Toast Hamish McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game yesterday and I found the missed shot really intriguing. A mark of a good player is how well they can respond after their mistakes. Hamish's game from that miss on was simply outstanding and was something I didn't think he had in him! Great game Hamish, it feels comforting to finally have confidence in the teams rucks again

I have no idea how that shot from 50 went in... for all money it looked like it was hooking left hard.. But somehow went through

What is it with players completely stuffing up kicks from 10-20m out.. It must me a mental thing surely - if you applied the same trajectory to the miss from 10m out to 50m out it would be out on the full.

That he can play footy and show he can play footy is a good outcome from where it was looking like it was heading. But I maintain a certain opinion on the big man , that to make the pain of bringing him to the club worthwhile , he must do an Ottens , become a regular and elevate his status with performance in finals. Play a game like he did V Hawks , lead us to another Flags and it will be a master piece of recruitment.
Admittedly , I never though we would be able to play 2 Rucks , and I wonder if we would have if Vardy was all systems go. Playing both is a very happy outcome if we can make it work, Simpson needs game as well to keep progressing.

For the moment Hmac is a guy who looks quite good at times, and then looks like a guys on roller-skates at others. The way he approached that goal square shot was a bit strange. Has he practiced set shots. Watching form behind he looked as if he slightly walked left and then shanked the kick. Im sure if he puts some work in that can be eradicated...an it must.

That he is starting to marks up forward is a BIG plus but I want him to do it when he is marked by some quality defenders.

There is no doubt he is moving in the right direction:thumbsu:
Wow that is the worst thumbs up post for a player I've ever read. Almost sounds like you hope he still fails.

What is it with players completely stuffing up kicks from 10-20m out.. It must me a mental thing surely - if you applied the same trajectory to the miss from 10m out to 50m out it would be out on the full.

I thought immediately that the siren sounding precisely as he dropped the ball was what put him off.
But then Chanel 7 said the same thing, so now I don't know what happened.

Liking Hmac around the ground while I prefer Simpson for the taps. All god though and if both stay on the park, and get some rests here and there, they should be even better combo come late in the season. Simpson could possibly improve over the next 2 seasons given he has only really just begun his senior career.

I've potted McIntosh once or twice, more out of despair than anything else, but he was superb against Hawthorn and has been generally a very very welcome addition to the side.

I just didn't think he would get back on the park, and even if he did I had my doubts as to whether he could attain the heights of his best form at North.

The best thing about our 5-0 start is the possibility that we might get ourselves into a position where we can start managing players workloads leading in to the finals; i.e. freshen up some of our veterans and better players by giving them a rest here or there.
A fit and firing McIntosh playing finals football is exactly what the MC envisioned when they drafted him, now it's partially up to them to make sure he gets to the line.

Also agree with those lauding the 1-2 punch of McIntosh and Simpson in the ruck, it's been a while since we've seen the kind of ruck dominance we saw yesterday, there were probably a dozen or more truly effective hit-outs.
Really liked one of Dawson's, pretty sure it was 3rd quarter, fairly deep in our D50 - from the boundary throw-in he just belted it to the safest and smartest spot on the ground, really classic old-school rucking.

cheers Hamish McIntosh, I was wrong and very glad for it!

Liking Hmac around the ground while I prefer Simpson for the taps. All god though and if both stay on the park, and get some rests here and there, they should be even better combo come late in the season. Simpson could possibly improve over the next 2 seasons given he has only really just begun his senior career.

You do see the difference in guile, for want of a better word. McIntosh knows how to stay involved, to get to the right spots, to make himself be used by teammates. He's averaging over 15 touches a game, for a ruckman that's pretty solid. Simpson is getting the ruck skills, but doesn't (yet) have the nous to read the game and involve himself. Signs are positive though, and it's already a more than useful combination.

I thought immediately that the siren sounding precisely as he dropped the ball was what put him off.
But then Chanel 7 said the same thing, so now I don't know what happened.
He said on 360 as the siren went he had that thought in his head should he stop and start again or keep going... got caught in 2 minds and want focused.
Watching the replay of the game tonight I have no idea how the hell that thought had time to go thru his head in the .00005 of a second between the siren and the kick...

Yes he's paying off, I stood up for him many times last year, but even my optimism of him ever playing for us was fading towards the end of the year. If he and Simpson can stay on the park, we should be in strong contention again this year.

I think Enright said that he and Simpson had all or just about all the tap outs yesterday until half time.

Anyone can confirm this?

Thought the big guy deserves a toast today.

Clearly his best game as a Cat, very influential with his ruckwork and his second efforts, and love the fact that he splits packs when forward, very Otto like in that regard.

I like many, was worried if we would ever see him play after last year, but he is proving to be worth the wait.
Is a quality ruckman and if he can stay fit (touch wood) will give us a real ace in the pack that we didn't have last year.

All credit to him for not dropping his bundle after all the rehab, you can see how much it means to him to be playing in the hoops which is pleasing too.

Watching him yesterday - with his superb strong - one grab over head marking - his athletic frame - and wearing number 17 - Ottens didnt come into my head at all- but Sammy Newman did ( Newman was a superb overhead mark)

McIntosh is a class footballer ( and good to watch) hope he stays injury free - hes in for a great season

God I love how happy he looks on the field. And he has good reason to be too :). Him and Daws are really killing it this year.

Watching him yesterday - with his superb strong - one grab over head marking - his athletic frame - and wearing number 17 - Ottens didnt come into my head at all- but Sammy Newman did ( Newman was a superb overhead mark)

McIntosh is a class footballer ( and good to watch) hope he stays injury free - hes in for a great season

Newman was also a ruckman who was converted very successfully to a CHF.
Just saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THIS. It's just impossible not to like, respect and be happy for the guy. He's so clearly revelling in just being able to get on the park so to see him not just play but play well and create a fearsome ruck duo with Dawson Simpson is just excellent. Here's hoping they both stay fit because they are incredibly important and after their various setbacks, both deserve it. You can see that all the boys love him too - whenever he kicks a goal or sets one up, everyone gets to him. He must be absolutely loving it.
I still remember that 's**t-eating' grin (as some have called it) when he got his first goal as a Cat!! Boy- the sun shone brighter that day, didn't it?

On AFL360 McIntosh stated the siren timing did him in. He was plenty embarrassed about it as you'd expect.
Yeah, McAvaney (I think) on Fox said he thought the same thing. The siren came at a terrible time. Imagine your concentration as you line up that easy set shot- just a routine kick. You're buggered, just want to get off, get a drink and take a load off for 5 minutes and, as you're walking in, already kicked the goal 500 times in your mind and some stupid freaking LOUD HORN startles you and you shank it!! Poor bugger! I really felt for him.

Absolutely agree. Surely the debate about whether it's even worth having a ruckman that I've heard in the media from time to time has been put to bed. The difference between us as a team when we're winning the ruck contests and when we were getting slaughtered in them last year is just night and day. No longer are we just relying on winning the ball at half-back and moving it quickly forward, we can actually win the ball out of the centre now too.

It's interesting to see how Brisbane are really having trouble now that Trent West is their only ruckman (along with other issues). No knock on Westy's skills, but he's just always been undersized as a ruckman.
Gee, 18 wins and 4 losses. Some teams might be tossing their ruckmen out with the bathwater to get that sort of result in a season, you'd think :)lol- not disagreeing with you but we did OK with a different game plan and no rucks last year. OK would be my rating due to what I thought we were capable of, despite not having a ruckman and with a restricted FF. However 2014 is a whole new ball game, isn't it?

in all honesty i think the siren fully put him off
still, my grandma couldve kicked that 10/10

It's interesting to see how Brisbane are really having trouble now that Trent West is their only ruckman (along with other issues). No knock on Westy's skills, but he's just always been undersized as a ruckman.
I almost feel bad about West's predicament.

He will get game-time, guaranteed, but Brisbane will get cruelly exposed this season. He might fond himself reminiscing about watching from the sidelines as his team win game after game...

Absolutely split the pack in half and came out with it didn't he.
He was on 360 last night ...

he said he had serious doubts about if he could ever play again

It really struck me how close a call that was for him, when the setbacks kicked in, after missing so much footy... Must take huge personal motivation to dig yourself out of that.

I almost feel bad about West's predicament.

He will get game-time, guaranteed, but Brisbane will get cruelly exposed this season. He might fond himself reminiscing about watching from the sidelines as his team win game after game...

Well, he did that down here, in the end. And he'd be doing it this year again if he was still here. At least he's now playing footy again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back