FTA-TV Hamish McLachlan and Basil Zempilas

Remove this Banner Ad

"One way traffic on a freeway going one direction only" Basil Zempilas. He also called Hodge "Lewis" when he marked it uncontested earlier in the game. The man doesn't even recognise Luke Hodge, he's a freak of nature.

Just watching the 1st quarter of the Hawthorn vs St Kilda replay

These guys are allergic to calling the play as it happens. Hawthorn's first three goals have been scored without any actual commentary. Hamish McLachlan has been droning on about Hawthorn's recruiting or talent development like it's 12:30pm and he's doing the pre-game on radio.

Roughead, Breust, Hill… they're going bang bang bang - firing out these hand passes, setting up the goals and Hame is in 2nd gear, chatting away as though the game hasn't started.

To make it even worse, Tom Harley, the special comments man is just as bad. They go to the replay of the goal which was scored. Perfect opportunity for him to cut in, silence the waffle and say something like "Great play there from Roughead - he won that contest against two St KIlda defenders and set up the goal", but instead, he just continues on with the lame conversation they were having.

Yakity yakity yakity yak yak yak yakity yak

F**kin' hell… Do these idiots really think we care about their shitty editorial opinions on Hawthorn?

Just call the f**kin' game!!!!!

Gibson passes to Rioli in the centre of the ground. Rioli pivots, sees Schoenmakers with a few metres of space and drills a long 50m pass that hits him on the chest.

The commentary?

Hame: That's the difference between Hawthorn and St Kilda. When the Hawks move the ball from half back forward they've got options aplenty. Seemingly every time. When the Saints go forward, "Where's Nick?" is the first question and then it gets a little bit chaotic.

Harley: the workrate of the Hawthorn mids is exceptional. As we watch this.. Here he is again. [as Schoenmakers takes the mark]

Basil: Schoenmakers! On the end of it. He could've gone shorter to Puopolo. That was good vision by Rioli. Great signs from Hawthorn. Their spirit is well and truly alive.

Is this the first time in history that Rioli has touched the footy and none of the commentators have leaped out of their chairs and screamed his name?

Schoenmakers converts his set shot and the conversation drifts to his hairstyle

Basil: What's it called Tom?

Harley: Is it a Shinto? Is that what they call it? Is that a Japanese Samuarai fighting haircut?

Hame: Isn't that a dog? Shinto?

Harley: Could be

Hame: Or is that a Shitsu?

Harley: Careful! Let's be honest.. Far be it from me to talk about haircuts

Basil: Where's Welshy when you need him?

Harley: Exactly.

n5239d977be86a_large.png

Last edited:
Don't know how many times Basil got the name wrong, or got the players confused. Having said that it would be a hard gig when we move the ball as quick as we do.

'Hallan'

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Whose worse? Kelli Underwood or Hamish? It's pretty hard to decide.

I was just thinking the other day how oddly similar their commentary styles are - rusty, not-quite-there-yet calling of the play, mixed with a good deal of not-quite-right banter; overall, not the worst commentators, just sub-standard, trying too hard to get it right for them to ever actually get it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the first time I saw Bazil on television, he'd somehow managed to get on Sevens Olympics coverage, and they crossed to him and his co-commentator who lead off by describing an accident, injury or worse, I can't remember the exact details.

It was sad news anyway, and was delivered in a hushed, sombre tone as was appropriate. After the report was delivered, Bazil, seated right next to his colleague, launched into his news, starting with a big, stupid grin on his face and a very upbeat tone, as if completely oblivious to the news that had just been announced.

I thought then, this guy has no idea, and he seems to be managing without one still.

I find them entertaining. We are spoilt to have the brother of the AFL CEO being able to give an insight to what happens behind closed doors. Just try and not get them mixed up.
To the trolls on here who think i'm somebody famous move on and go and troll somewhere else. Don't know why you would think that.
Also to those of you who think I'm getting paid get a life.
I just have my own opinion. I happen to like these guys. It's obvious that you lot don't.

Last edited:
I find them entertaining. We are spoilt to have the brother of the AFL CEO being able to give an insight to what happens behind closed doors. Just try and not get them mixed up.
Must be a difficult time of year for you Hame. Whenever Wimbledon rolls around tennis purists mourn your tragic loss to the game, you don't have to fight this battle alone.

"There is a chance David Hale will be joined by 100's and 1000's of his little cousins if it starts to hail today"

and now they are talking about spooning in the media box to stay warm. we have hit a new low thank you ch7 for broadcasting this s**t world wide in SD top form.

"There is a chance David Hale will be joined by 100's and 1000's of his little cousins if it starts to hail today"

and now they are talking about spooning in the media box to stay warm. we have hit a new low thank you ch7 for broadcasting this s**t world wide in SD top form.

I assumed that's how both got their commentary gigs anyway

I have switched the footy off.

These two are ear achingly bad. I want to watch the footy but as there is no radio coverage in Sydney I've flicked to a s**t movie.

Basil and Hame.

Worst ever and ruining good games of footy weekly.

Do something channel 7.

Please?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back