Hampden Football League

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Just been reading the papers over the last few weeks in Warrnambool and the big news is that the HFNL Interleague may be in trouble of staying alive and there asking for ideas to help keep the HFNL involved....

Here is my thought just wondering what other people think....

The 1st thing that the League need to do is get the Netball involved... Senior Netball and also maybe U17 netball because this is where we will get some parents and family of the netballers to come along, and the senior netballers have always had a really good side...

The next thing I reckon is they need to schedule it the same weekend as the WDFNL have thier bye round, this might draw more south west football followers to the game.

Also need to have it at the REID Oval, take it to where the people are and that is in Wbool...

The football side of things should go like this..

The U18 match should start at 945am followed by the Geelong Falcons Vs North Ballarat Rebels. This would really provide a great oppurtunity for the league to showcase the juniors that have been pushed down to play at the next level, and not a lot of people get to see how good the talent we have is....

Finally the senior game should be played at 2pm after the TAC game. This would be a an oppurtunity to showacase the HFNL not with only the Senior Football but it should make it exciting for the people of the South West to get out there and see the best talent we have got...

Also the players who make themselves available should be rewarded, senior players should recieve all their match day gear, as well as the U18, also the same with the Netballers.

The league have 12 months to organise it, so they should be able to start working with the WDFNL and also the TAC CUP to arrange the fixture so it can happen...

What do you think? Just a thought

Champ you have some great ideas and they are worth pursuing send them into the HFNL and see how you go.

What the article in The Subby failed to address is that the landscape has changed significantly since the glory days of interleague.

Obviously the AFL has changed and broadcasting has too. When I was a boy 3YB broadcast the HFL with score updates of the then VFL. There were no live matches except the Swans on Sundays and Friday nights started in about 1987. The HFL had a much bigger profile in the loca media and a bit of prestige about it.

AFL/VFL was only semi professional most blokes still had regular jobs, there was nowhere near the money involved. Lists were bigger and drafting did not exist, each club had a zone that it could recruit from.

Once finished in the AFL most players filtered back into Metro or Country Footy as playing coaches. Think Grant Thomas and many others in the HFL alone. There were also plenty of others who had had a taste of the city but didn't like it. At one stage I reckon every coach in the HFL was ex AFL, now ...... It's not having a go at the current coaches just a statement of fact.

There was no TAC cup and as a rule guys were recruited a little bit older.

Thus Interleague became the place to see the best of your league that included;
*recent AFL players straight out of the game
*young guns who might make it
*solid players who were happy where they were but could have made it

Every league had heaps of ex AFL players running around and dependent upon who the HFL were playing you would get to see some great players and generally a great game. Importantly their were always recruiters watching these games.

Unfortunately it's just not the same anymore.

local34

Draftee
May 30, 2010
Warrnambool
AFL Club
Essendon
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the way the 2nd half of the year will progress, a few predictions from me are as follows:

Priemer: Terang/Mortlake
Runner Up: Warrnambool
Maskell Medalist: 1st Joel Moloney (TM)
2nd James Hussey (SOUTH)
3rd Kurt lenehan (WBOOL)
Top Five will be:
Warrnambool, TMort, South, Cobden, Koroit

Rising Star: James Hussey

Any thoughts from anyone out there.....

ONTOP

Draftee
Jun 7, 2010
camperdown
AFL Club
Geelong
PREMIER: Wbool
Runner up: Sth Wbool
Maskel: Josh Walters, Joel Moloney, Angus Chirnside, Liam Ryan
Rising Star: James Hussey.

Does anyone want to have a crack at the team of the year? just putting the finishing touches on mine!

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My reason for not having Jason Rowan in the top 10 is because he is a flat track bully... When he comes up against the good sides he goes missing, he hasn't produced in big games, Grand Finals, Interleague etc. He only kicked 2 goals against the Bloods this year against the ordinary teams he always kicks his bags of goals.... He has played Interleague twice now and has not been able to register a goal in any of those games, Great players rise to the challenge and his has not...
Harsh! Has consistently kicked bags of goals in games throughout the last few seasons and wouldnt shock if he turned the magic on come Grand Final day and won the game off his own boot. I'm fairly sure he did an AFL preseason last year (or the year before) so he's been close over the last few years to ending up in that system.

western royboy said:
Unfortunately it's just not the same anymore.
I agree. But one other reason why its not the same is that money has become a huge part of footy at grass roots level. Some country clubs in Victoria pay guys $1200-$1500 a game, these blokes aren't there for the love of the game, or the love of the club, or the love of the league...they are there to make a buck. They don't have the passion to wear an interleague jumper and get nothing out of it.

I do like the idea of the interleague combining with the TAC Cup. Certainly worth putting forward to the League and/or Michael Turner at Falcons and Phil Partington at the Rebels.

Sir Poo

Draftee
Apr 18, 2010
Terang
AFL Club
Carlton
So with the finals coming up what is everyones predictions for premiership in seniors ressies and 18s? Hard to know now that the Bloods and Warrnambool have lost form. Should be a tough competitive finals series!

bucknoath

Draftee
Sep 24, 2010
Warrnambool
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Coaching changes so far for HFNL 2011....

Camperdown..resigned Russell Whiteford with Bernie Moloney (Terang/Kolora) as new Assistant Coach

Cobden...James Gellie staying on.

Terang...Resigned Damian O'Connor last week.

South Warrnambool...Nigel Kol staying put

Port Fairy...unknown right now but whispers have them looking for a co-coach with current coach Shane Threlfell.

North Warrnambool..Leigh McCluskey has ended his 5 year stint with them and has lifted them off the bottom, they look very competitive. On the look for a playing coach.

Warrnambool...hoping to sign Adam Dowie again but whispers have Adam servicing a couple of offers from a higher level

Koroit...Joe McLaren has stepped down and his brother Chris McLaren has been signed as playing coach

Hope thats helpful for ya

bucknoath

Draftee
Sep 24, 2010
Warrnambool
AFL Club
Hawthorn
General Info Update...HFNL 2010

Premiers..Warrnambool Blues def South Warrnambool Roosters

Best on Ground..Josh Walters and Brady Hall (both WFNC)

Maskell Medall winner (League B&F).. A tie between Liam Ryan (Nth Warrnambool Eagles) and Levi Dare (Cobden Bombers). Liams second in 3 years.

Leading Goalkicker...Jason Rowan

Hampden Rising Star Award...Andrew McMeel (Nth Warrnambool Eagles)

Big Improvers..South Warrnambool

Big Disappointments...Port Fairy..talk of a finals series and tilt at the flag..finished last

bucknoath

Draftee
Sep 24, 2010
Warrnambool
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dunno where u get ur word from Dr.Footy but Port Fairy would need to sign half a side of guns to get anywhere this year. A count would have them losing a minimum 16 senior players. Barlow, Sheldon, Mansell, Handley, Dowie, Robertson, McIntosh, Kelly, Fary brothers, Jones, Brown, Dwyer and a couple I can't remember off the top of my head. So any side that loses that many and can be big improvers is a side never before seen.

gtrain29

Rookie
Feb 5, 2009
warrnambool
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
green bay,storm,Nth W'bool Eagles
ah didnt think u would know who i am,maybe we have shared a few frothies out at the bushfield bar (that is a short walking distance to my house)and i think we will share a few more this year with the good news of the coach that we have signed!!!

Hands and Heels

Draftee
Jul 11, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
gtrain, I reckon its pretty exciting for Nth to get one of their home grown talents back to the club, I also reckon the club will be real happy to pay off all his outstanding debts! Bring Back Anthony Stockwell!

gtrain29

Rookie
Feb 5, 2009
warrnambool
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
green bay,storm,Nth W'bool Eagles
well he may have debts H&H (i dont knowbut who doesnt)but im very confident that he will have a bigger and better influence on this group than stocky ever did.

Hands and Heels

Draftee
Jul 11, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Stockwell struggled obviously, more sarcasm there then anything! Haynes can play, if was committed more prob still be in the big show, as for influence, time will only tell, Nth have got some reasonable kids so wait and see. But I wouldn't be surprised if his first few match payments ended up in some creditor's pockets!

De Iulio 34

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Tyrendarra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Fairy
Harsh! Has consistently kicked bags of goals in games throughout the last few seasons and wouldnt shock if he turned the magic on come Grand Final day and won the game off his own boot. I'm fairly sure he did an AFL preseason last year (or the year before) so he's been close over the last few years to ending up in that system.

I agree. But one other reason why its not the same is that money has become a huge part of footy at grass roots level. Some country clubs in Victoria pay guys $1200-$1500 a game, these blokes aren't there for the love of the game, or the love of the club, or the love of the league...they are there to make a buck. They don't have the passion to wear an interleague jumper and get nothing out of it.

I do like the idea of the interleague combining with the TAC Cup. Certainly worth putting forward to the League and/or Michael Turner at Falcons and Phil Partington at the Rebels.

I notice a comment Warrnanmbool Standard sport website that Jason Rowan and the Bourke brothers are to sign with Merrivale. Massive pickups for the tigers.

De Iulio 34

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Tyrendarra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Fairy
Dunno where u get ur word from Dr.Footy but Port Fairy would need to sign half a side of guns to get anywhere this year. A count would have them losing a minimum 16 senior players. Barlow, Sheldon, Mansell, Handley, Dowie, Robertson, McIntosh, Kelly, Fary brothers, Jones, Brown, Dwyer and a couple I can't remember off the top of my head. So any side that loses that many and can be big improvers is a side never before seen.
I was away Friday night so I did not get to watch Port train. Does anyone know how many players were at training , any new recruits and how did Pual Weatly seem. Hope he is a nice fella and stays for a few seasons.

requestingtalent

Debutant
Oct 6, 2008
mandurah
AFL Club
Fremantle
can anyone tell me where nick johnstone from heywood is playing in this league for 11'. rumours have been going around over here for months. have heard koroit, camperdown, cobden, south warrnambool?????

down the middle

Debutant
Nov 21, 2007
yarrawonga
AFL Club
Richmond
Has anyone got some information on Daniel Beattie that played down Warrnambool way.
He has moved to Nortern Victoria and training with a couple of Murray Leage Clubs.

bucknoath

Draftee
Sep 24, 2010
Warrnambool
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was away Friday night so I did not get to watch Port train. Does anyone know how many players were at training , any new recruits and how did Pual Weatly seem. Hope he is a nice fella and stays for a few seasons.

I think there was two seagulls fighting over a chip....Wheatley is only playing like 6 to 8 games for the year, waste of money.

ktm_306

Rookie
May 27, 2008
Koroit
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Has anyone got some information on Daniel Beattie that played down Warrnambool way.
He has moved to Nortern Victoria and training with a couple of Murray Leage Clubs.

as in just got out of jail for stealing cars and breaking into homes daniel beattie... i hope your clubs has got locked doors and a good security system good luck ;)

Back