"Handing the keys to the AFL" - Carlton's situation

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am honestly mystified as to how Carlton have got themselves to the situation where they are approaching the AFL "trigger point" for formal intervention in their administration like has happened at various levels at other clubs.

Its a reality that what defines "big" and "small" clubs has radically changed in the last decade.

It is also a reality that what defines off field success, and how it is achieved, has dramatically changed.

But how does a club with significant pokies - and didn't they get a sweetheart deal for more off Mathieson recently - have such financial problems?

And more interestingly, what approach does Carlton take from here? They, as Lo Giudice acknowledged, done the rich white knight thing with Pratt. It doesn't appear to have worked.

Where's their market niche? The Dogs have the west. North have the inner city community club angle. What's Carlton's USP?

There is also the fact that if , as Trigg suggested, poor onfield results have whacked the bottom line, then they have a few more years of that coming with the rebuild.

They will also face issues on the value of their sponsorships given they have been banished from Friday nights.

I have said before the financial reality of the comp means that unless you are Collingwood or Essendon, or have your own ground like Geelong, a Victorian team needs a successful secondary market to be financially stable.

Where is Carlton's?

I suspect we are witnessing a tectonic shift in the Victorian footy landscape.

It has been obvious for a while now that Hawthorn is a true power club in every sense. Geelong are firmly established one rung below the truly big boys, but a huge improvement on where they were.

It is amazing to think that not that long ago Carlton tried to buy another club in North.

Yet even a perennial financial struggler like North is now far better placed off field than the Blues.

What way forward at Princes Park? Their options seem to be very, very limited.

Low membership base, poor sponsorship levels and they had to pay out Mick's contract. Carlton won't move forward as a club until they tell Pratt & Mathieson to leave the building. They are treading water until they do.

Low membership base, poor sponsorship levels and they had to pay out Mick's contract. Carlton won't move forward as a club until they tell Pratt & Mathieson to leave the building. They are treading water until they do.

Not sure they can afford to lose the money Mathiesons pokies bring through the door

Not sure they can afford to lose the money Mathiesons pokies bring through the door

They won't move forward until the Pratt & Mathieson's go. They are being run as a privately owned club that doesn't belong to the membership base with little member or fan engagement. They run the risk of losing an entire generation of support if they don't act now.

Every club has experienced financial struggles
Not long ago I remember Hawks and Tigers rattling cans on street corners. Bulldogs had their own troubles in late 80's and recently North Melbourne

If AFL steps in then has got to the point where Blues are not financially viable and hindering finances for years to come. End of the day the Club will still be there and football games will still be played, who really cares who is behind the scenes controlling the finances? I don't I just want to see my team play. Blues aren't Fitzroy as we still have strong supporter base and have AFL backing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the afl take control of the blues, it will be interesting to see where they end up playing.

Is cairns still looking for a fifo team?

Bring Princes Park back as an upgraded 30k seat stadium and sell it out for our home games, except Tigs Pies and Bombers.

Would be awesome to have it back in action, and we'd get a better deal.

Only crap thing is getting there, transportation bit harder compared to Etihad and MCG

I wouldn't mind if Blues had 3 games a year there against interstate teams like GWS Suns of Lions just to make the atmosphere abit more alive

Bring Princes Park back as an upgraded 30k seat stadium and sell it out for 9 home games.

Would be awesome to have it back in action, and we'd get a better deal.
With five mill in the hole, where do you plan on getting the tens of millions needed to bring the ground up to spec?

A garage sale?

Cash converters?

Scratchies?

The problem is most of the secondary markets in Australia are taken up by other AFL clubs.

Maybe they could look at taking games to a strong Aussie Rules nation like Nauru?
Should borrow money from them to really ram their current predicament home

Should borrow money from them to really ram their current predicament home

Nauru has less money than Carlton, why do you think the were selling their soul on the detention camps?

Only possible way it could be done is to hand over the lease to the AFL.

Would take some guts.

So will not happen.

Also I doubt the afl would want it

They are looking to buy Etihad, and I'd be stunned if they want to be funding and operating to venues in Melbourne - just too much risk given they are both only capable of handling the second tier games (g gets the cash cow games)

Also I doubt the afl would want it

They are looking to buy Etihad, and I'd be stunned if they want to be funding and operating to venues in Melbourne - just too much risk given they are both only capable of handling the second tier games (g gets the cash cow games)

The AFL is interested.

Both sides have been talking behind the scenes for years about converting the stadium into a boutique.

The numbers are just not there with Carlton holding the long term lease. AFL will not pump millions in without having control of the ground and gate receipts.

I suspect when ownership of Etihad flips to AFL you will see some action.

Etihad is a loss maker for most clubs with crowds less than 25k.

AFL, once they own Etihad will be tempted to run the 30k-50k crowds at Etihad and the below 30k crowds at Princes Park and have a situation where all clubs are happy and making money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back