Hannath why?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I said elsewhere that I didn't think that Hannath was performing that well at WAFL level and Taberner (when I saw him in the WAFL) was the pick of the tall forwards. Since that time Moller has really come on as a forward and is the form WAFL forward for Peel at the moment. Being a 5 time GF coach like I am ;) I am surprised a) Hannath got a game b) Griff has not and c) if Moller is not upgraded off the Rookie list at the end of the year.

In a nut shell at the top of my list for a forward is a) can clunk a contested mark b) actually any kind of mark inside 50 will do. I have no idea why the only marks taken inside the forward 50 are taken by HBF's or mids for the last three games but it is getting ridiculous. All I can say is I am very glad that the backline still knows how to take them.

Just put the pitchforks and flaming torches down for a moment, people...Hannath will be out of the side in favour of Clarke soon enough, but to try and run him permanently out of the team is a mistake.

He certainly didn't have much impact last night, but none of the talls on the ground really did - and as often happens with Taberner, the second tall is so often ignored by the mids when kicking inside 50.

Jack gives Sandi a decent chop out in the ruck, this area has improved (off a low base) at AFL level, and I also have to say that I just can't see this huge problem with his mobility everyone has. His position in the structure is supposed to be the stay at home tall and relieving ruckman, and I never thought to myself last night "Gee, if only he could have got to that contest". In fact, his presence at the packs opened the door for Walters and he also had a hand in the team goal to Neale at the start of the 4th.

He's no star, and unlikely to ever become one, but a solid depth option in the right age bracket. I just don't get the hate!

Nobody hates him. They just don't see the value in playing him over a much better player in a must-win game against a top 4 side.

As ydraw said no hate, just poor selection, I think big Jack is real good bloke but how he gets a look over Griiff, tabs, & dare I say it even lurch at the present is a mystery. We are all in this to win the big one ,it did not cost us last night but we got get top two.

Hannath never looked like a afl player last night. Always slow to move and tackle or even to get to the ball.

He never imposes his body. He needs to use his so called hulk frame.

It is kinda apropos since we played the pies last night but the way I see it is that when Cloke had an off night/month/year whatever he was still taking 2-5 marks a game in the forward 50. I don't think that our KPF's have manged that in the last 4 matches no matter who is there. We dropped something close to 7 or 8 marks in the forward 50 last night. Even kicking points like Cloke was doing that gets you an extra goal a match.
Heck even if your accuracy is carp 5 shots at 1% accuracy still beats no shots at 100%.

Conditions have not suited Hannath so far. And he is a ruckman first. We also have to remember he is quite young. Will not suprise me to see him make it in the AFL when he is a bit older. He has shown a desire to improve and his agility has improved in the last 12 months (he still has a lot more work to do). He is actually decent below his knees for a ruckman. Will not mind him playing next week if it is dry however Clarke is obviously the player we need in that position as we get closer to finals.

And yes, Clarke is a lot better as a forward however he wasn't playing at the required intensity often enough and maybe not playing to structures well enough. We really need Clarke firing if we are to be any chance for a flag this year. Hopefully he gets the kick up the backside that he needed but let's wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back