News Hardie calls the playing group lazy

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps - I just think at this stage most of us have our eyes wide open about the shortcomings of our squad.

Our midfield is poor, we beat up on easy sides and there is an element of not running both ways.

Hardie has an axe to grind, no iffs no buts. His exclusion from WC and his subsequent hatred of Mick (and then John) - he is hardly the voice of reason for our club.

I actually don't know if Hardie is right or wrong. Having watched a number of games live I can honestly say only Rosa seems to run hard both ways this year - so there is an element of cheating on the field.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, mine is - i'll ignore a bloke who's judgement has lead him to gambling away his brownlow medal.

I know about his beef with Woosha but what was his beef with Mick?

Why would he not name the palyers? He says 'I'm not going to name names.' Why not Brad? You come out and claim you have this inside info so why wouldn't you tell us the players you think are cheating?

Why would he not name the palyers? He says 'I'm not going to name names.' Why not Brad? You come out and claim you have this inside info so why wouldn't you tell us the players you think are cheating?

Because it is about ratings - if he actually named a player that player could conceivably sue hos arse off

Because it is about ratings - if he actually named a player that player could conceivably sue hos arse off

Simpson should have been disingenuous and asked him who the players were so he could confront them

For mine it is a lack of skill execution, what appears to be a lack of complete understanding/trust in the game plan and talent that are the issues. Hardie is a flog.

Love him or hate him, and obviously a lot of hate here but the reality is that maybe the club should start to listen to some of the critics.
Lets face it interviewing an AFL coach is like interviewing a politician, they will tell you what you want to hear, most will be absolute crap and they certainly are never going to really tell you what happens in the inner sanctum of a club. We as the public then will obviously just follow our clubs mantra.
The media however do have contacts and do know much more than we do about the inner sanctum of clubs, they are paid to know. Christ Hardie himself works with Langdon who can walk in and out of the Eagles 24/7.
Hardie does seem to have something against the Eagles, but just maybe we don't like hearing the truth. People hate hearing the truth. If anyone thinks our club is going well in any department other than making money then they are kidding themselves.

And as for anyone knocking hardie as a footballer well you are either under 20 years old or have no idea. Hardie was a gun player who stood up in the biggest of occasions, won a brownlow in the VFL, won simpson medals when SOO was the pinacle of the sport, WAFL premiership player when WAFL was king and 1st tier.

Knock him all you like as a broadcaster, personally he does talk a bit of crap. But his football credentials can not be knocked by anyone on here, and to be honest not anyone at the Eagles either including Worsfold.

Brad won a Simpson in the greatest SOO played at Subi.

He played as a running defender. His direct opponents kicked 9 goals.

Brad ran off and did some really nice things. His opponents kicked 9 goals.

Sums up Brad perfectly.

Lots of talent and didn't give a * about team, it was all about Brad and as long as he got his he was happy. He was hated by his own coach even at the height of his powers because he never got the concept of team and he was primarily a one way player. His red hair and dash were vote getters though.

No doubt Hardie had talent but his best was nowhere near what it could have been if he had any commitment or dedication.

I liked watching him play, he had great skill, but he was far from the player he could have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know about his beef with Woosha but what was his beef with Mick?

Mick wasn't happy with anything about Hardies second season. He got fat in the offseason (I've got a funny, but long story from Andrew Purser about the off-season trip to the US when Brad was the reigning Brownlow medallist - fair to say the US NFL players were underwhelmed by the fat, unfit arsehat)...

Mick wanted a team that could win and Brad wouldn't listen, wouldn't change his game and just basically dig his heels in cos he was reigning Brownlow medallist.

Mick got rid of him and West Coast weren't interested. So he ended up a grumpy fat forward pocket at an ordinary team on the Gold Coast.

The subsequent marriage of Mick & WC just focused his hate.

He really is a pathetic prick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagle87 let's hear the story.

I summed up the gist.

I can't remember the NFL team but the Bulldogs rocked up for a code interaction day and Brad was in his usual offseason shape (10kgs overweight) and horribly unfit. Smoking.

But talked himself up and reacted very poorly to being called out as a bit of an arsehole by an NFL player.

Nearly got himself beaten up and couldn't understand why others didn't have his back.

No sense at all of the w***er he was being. Lost a fair few of the group.

A key part of the was them all rocking up for a joint team event with this big build up for "the reigning MVP of the league" and when Hardie then walked up on stage the MC and everyone else laughed, assuming it was a joke when this short fat ranga came up.

They still weren't sure it wasn't a joke when told he really was the man.

Brad won a Simpson in the greatest SOO played at Subi.

He played as a running defender. His direct opponents kicked 9 goals.

Brad ran off and did some really nice things. His opponents kicked 9 goals.

Sums up Brad perfectly.

Lots of talent and didn't give a **** about team, it was all about Brad and as long as he got his he was happy. He was hated by his own coach even at the height of his powers because he never got the concept of team and he was primarily a one way player. His red hair and dash were vote getters though.

No doubt Hardie had talent but his best was nowhere near what it could have been if he had any commitment or dedication.

I liked watching him play, he had great skill, but he was far from the player he could have been.

He won two Simpson Medals and also two Tassie medals in those same years 84 and 86 for the best player in the SOO series.
So his record as a lazy bum is pretty good? Not many players can walk around with his achievements next to their name. Can only imagine how good he would have been if he was dedicated.
He certainly comes across as a bloke who is all about himself. It is sad when you hear what could of been stories about some of these guys.

Cheers for the info Eagles87

He won two Simpson Medals and also two Tassie medals in those same years 84 and 86 for the best player in the SOO series.
So his record as a lazy bum is pretty good? Not many players can walk around with his achievements next to their name. Can only imagine how good he would have been if he was dedicated.
He certainly comes across as a bloke who is all about himself. It is sad when you hear what could of been stories about some of these guys.

He was an attacking running defender in an era where most defenders were hard, somewhat under skilled stoppers.

The fact he later became a very talented smallish goal kicker evidences his undoubted talent.

2004 he was outstanding and Norm Smith was probably warranted. 2006, IMO, his defensive shortcomings hurt us.

It's with remembering that those games were more or less all star games where offense was more important than defense and free ranging offense was the go.

A highly skilled, quick running defender who wasn't accountable (and no one cares) was always going to enjoy that format.

I played against Brad in the years before he become a star and he was outstanding. The problem was his best was for a very short period and he then became a hot & cold overweight forward. I'm told he played in 1990 (when he was still only 27) at 95+kg as a 180cm small forward :)

For mine it is a lack of skill execution, what appears to be a lack of complete understanding/trust in the game plan and talent that are the issues. Hardie is a flog.
Any Idea of what the actual game plan is because I cant seem to work it out yet, they hugged the boundary last game similar too mick Malthouses game plan a few years ago !

He was an attacking running defender in an era where most defenders were hard, somewhat under skilled stoppers.

The fact he later became a very talented smallish goal kicker evidences his undoubted talent.

2004 he was outstanding and Norm Smith was probably warranted. 2006, IMO, his defensive shortcomings hurt us.

It's with remembering that those games were more or less all star games where offense was more important than defense and free ranging offense was the go.

A highly skilled, quick running defender who wasn't accountable (and no one cares) was always going to enjoy that format.

I played against Brad in the years before he become a star and he was outstanding. The problem was his best was for a very short period and he then became a hot & cold overweight forward. I'm told he played in 1990 (when he was still only 27) at 95+kg as a 180cm small forward :)

:eek:

GWS no one doubts and questions his football ability he was a very good player that's for sure. I suspect had his attitude and dedication been better he could have been one of the all time greats.

Its so unfortunate that he didn't play with the same production that he showed in his early years for the most part of his AFL career .

I am pretty sure that in one of his games at the Doggies when Mick dragged Hardie off the ground that Hardie took his jumper off , hurled it around and waved it towards the coaches box then threw it on the ground.
That sort of sums him up well; talented, emotional and self centred , egotistical but not team orientated.

GWS no one doubts and questions his football ability he was a very good player that's for sure. I suspect had his attitude and dedication been better he could have been one of the all time greats.

Its so unfortunate that he didn't play with the same production that he showed in his early years for the most part of his AFL career .

I am pretty sure that in one of his games at the Doggies when Mick dragged Hardie off the ground that Hardie took his jumper off , hurled it around and waved it towards the coaches box then threw it on the ground.
That sort of sums him up well; talented, emotional and self centred , egotistical but not team orientated.

Could not agree more mate.

I guess back to the original subject I am asking who is qualified to be a critic of the Eagles because it seems no one is.
The footy media is fool of people that have hardly played the game, been stars of the game or are just journalists. Their job is to heap praise when things are rosy and be critical and ask questions when they are not so rosy.
Obviously hardie is not liked my many Eagles supporters and that is fine. Personally I don't care who it is that asks the questions or is critical of our club because for the vast majority it is all warranted. Neither Simpson now or Woosha previously gain anything trying to take Hardie to task on his views. We have to remember AFL clubs only want to be seen in a bright light, if the truth does not put them in that light they will try and tear someone else down to hide the truth. I have no idea if Hardie was right re players not doing what they should? I would find it very strange why anyone would make up things such as those statements.
There is one thing I think we all know though and that is that our club is struggling in all departments other than making money. So if there is hard questions asked of them I think that we are fair game because from the outside looking in it does not seem to look like much is being addressed. But I am happy to give Simpson until next year as he can't make list changes until year is out, he is stuck with a poor list which he did not build or recruit. Interesting times ahead for us.

Sick of this BRUISE-FREE footy.

ha ha I was about to call it that today in a response. IMO when your team feels like it isn't going anywhere people get a bit hesitant in having to lay their body on the line, then that continues and before you know it you are Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back