Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Imbalances causing injuries can take a while to adjust, it would require bringing everything down to the same level and then reteaching the body to move.

Ballantyne has done it to fix his hamstring issues.

If Bennell just needed a reset and rebuild to clear out the issues, Gold Coast will need to fire their medical staff.
They were fired.

The entire conditioning team was sacked with a new team starting this preseason.

Probably good for Gold Coast too. They've got some very important players coming through their rehab program, they need to have the right people there.

Channel 9 tonight reported that Harley is 2 weeks off returning to the main squad after tearing his calf during the 3km time trial.

He won't play in the NAB Challenge but should play in round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Channel 9 would not have a clue but I like their thinking!

I turned the tele on the other day, and of course it was on channel 504 (apparently foxtel have other channels?) and there was a suns geelong game on. It was fortuitous timing, moments later there was a stoppage in the forward fifty, and Bennell sharked the tap, stepped through traffic and nailed the goal. A thing of pure beauty. I drool at the thought of him playing footy like that in purple! Hope those calves are sorted for the good of freo, and footy in general!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also saw a few GC games on foxtel a few nights ago (they had best GC moments of 2014 or something)...Bennell, although amazing at times, sometimes lacked discipline and was caught not giving 100%. Things like not chasing his man, not passing the ball to a team mate, not shepherding etc... It made me worry that Bennell could become Freo's 2016 whipping boy???? He had that annoying habit of dribbling the ball along the ground towards goal instead of kicking it. Most of the time a defender touched it or Bennell missed.

I'd back Freo's coaches and culture to bring some discipline into Bennell's game, and I reckon (hoping) he's going to be a super star of the competition at Freo.

I also saw a few GC games on foxtel a few nights ago (they had best GC moments of 2014 or something)...Bennell, although amazing at times, sometimes lacked discipline and was caught not giving 100%. Things like not chasing his man, not passing the ball to a team mate, not shepherding etc... It made me worry that Bennell could become Freo's 2016 whipping boy???? He had that annoying habit of dribbling the ball along the ground towards goal instead of kicking it. Most of the time a defender touched it or Bennell missed.
I think that kind of lairising gets snuffed out by the playing group pretty quickly.

Last edited:

That sounds more like a lack of team cohesiveness than anything to me though? I think you're looking a little too much into this. Bennell will be fine.

If his fitness isn't up to midfielder level yet we will have to settle for him in the forward line.

It could be magical for any ground ball to get swooped on with some Walters or Harley flash.

And the Yaz. Don't forget the Yazza.
Fair dinkum were gonna have an exciting forward line this year. Yarran, Harley, Walters and Ballas plus cameos from Fyfe.
I really do hope we play Bennell on the forward flank.

I do too. Also Morabito and Hill from the back line more. Sounds a bit of overkill perhaps. But Mundy, Neale, Barlow and Pearce, alongside the reigning Brownlow Medalist, can pretty well own the midfield. I am not talking about fixed position roles per se, more areas of influence.

Yes he has those habits but I expect our coaching staff and playing group to get the best out of him.
To be honest he can stay in the team with those habits, he is a game breaker and we are desperate for those over the 'hard workers'.

Lyon describes Harley as "faultless" so far and that he is doing work with troubled youths outside of the club already.

Also says he was always coming to us, even when he flew over to meet Richmond. Could the whole trip and missing a Richmond medical been a rouse to get him cheaper and thus potentially still have something to offer for McCarthy?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-new-lyon-still-chasing-the-old-goals-20160205-gmmjwe.html

I am PUMPED to watch Bennell tear it up this year!

And the Yaz. Don't forget the Yazza.
Fair dinkum were gonna have an exciting forward line this year. Yarran, Harley, Walters and Ballas plus cameos from Fyfe.
I'll be extremely surprised if Yarran makes a senior debut in the first half of the home and away season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back