Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get the impression Harley is interested in going anywhere but Freo. Negotiations with Essendon are pointless if Harley won't agree to go there. Sounds like it is just going to drag things out.

What is more beneficial for GC,getting our first rounder and they continue including HB pay in their cap or they take our second rounder and we take on HB GC pay?

Apparently his deal with us will be an entirely new 3 year deal, so we will pay it all.

I think the best thing for Freo to do is find a player Melbourne want. Gold Coast are right into Jeremy Howe. Howe for Harley seems fair compensation. We just need to find someone for Melbourne who is best 22 player. Suban, Mayne & Barlow and names that come to mind.

Don't get the impression Harley is interested in going anywhere but Freo. Negotiations with Essendon are pointless if Harley won't agree to go there. Sounds like it is just going to drag things out.
The only bargaining chip the suns have is time. Freo will obviously want to wrap up the bennell deal as quickly and cheaply as possible so they can focus on getting McCarthy. So by drawing negotiations out the suns might be able to squeeze a better deal if freo start getting anxious.

The suns are losing bennell regardless so it probably makes little difference to them if the deal is done on the first or last day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only bargaining chip the suns have is time. Freo will obviously want to wrap up the bennell deal as quickly and cheaply as possible so they can focus on getting McCarthy. So by drawing negotiations out the suns might be able to squeeze a better deal if freo start getting anxious.

The suns are losing bennell regardless so it probably makes little difference to them if the deal is done on the first or last day

Agree with that, but at the same they will want to unload HB ASAP so they can be sure the salary cap is freed up.

I don't think they will * about too much, I have a feeling HB will come cheap and we will pay overs for Sunshine, meaning a fair trade all round.

If HB gets his s**t together mind you

Agree with that, but at the same they will want to unload HB ASAP so they can be sure the salary cap is freed up.

I don't think they will **** about too much, I have a feeling HB will come cheap and we will pay overs for Sunshine, meaning a fair trade all round.

If HB gets his s**t together mind you
The trick for the suns will be drawing it out but still getting it done before any deal for McCarthy. Firstly because GWS might clean freo out of draft chips and secondly because the time factor goes to freos advantage - suns as you say need to get rid of HB's salary so do need to offload him

Apparently his deal with us will be an entirely new 3 year deal, so we will pay it all.

That's to be negotiated. As it stands the Suns have an obligation to pay him, and his contract with us is less then they have to cough up the difference. But the trade will take that into account. Given he's on $500k+ currently, that's something that's up for negotiation. The greater they ask for the less we're going to be willing to pay in $$ terms. Bennell's not going to care, he gets the same either way.

You're right. It isn't like the suns are trying to offload Smith or gain Howe this off season so they can burn time and mental energy dragging out negotiations.
They also have to broker a deal with port for Dixon who are known to be w***ers to deal with. With bennell the suns could quite easily say let us know when you have a first rounder and we'll sign. Let's face it GC are screwed in this trade apart from delaying things a bit they have nothing in their favour

That's to be negotiated. As it stands the Suns have an obligation to pay him, and his contract with us is less then they have to cough up the difference. But the trade will take that into account. Given he's on $500k+ currently, that's something that's up for negotiation. The greater they ask for the less we're going to be willing to pay in $$ terms. Bennell's not going to care, he gets the same either way.
Unless Harley agrees to the mutual termination of his contract and accepts the lower amount.

The trick for the suns will be drawing it out but still getting it done before any deal for McCarthy. Firstly because GWS might clean freo out of draft chips and secondly because the time factor goes to freos advantage - suns as you say need to get rid of HB's salary so do need to offload him

Exactly, I reckon Monday will be frantic at GC hq and they will yield just to get rid

At least I hope that's the way it goes :D

They also have to broker a deal with port for Dixon who are known to be ******s to deal with. With bennell the suns could quite easily say let us know when you have a first rounder and we'll sign. Let's face it GC are screwed in this trade apart from delaying things a bit they have nothing in their favour

They are screwed and they know it.

Never ever tell someone that you don't want something that you need to get maximum value for.

To be negotiated and has been apparently.

Not sure what essendon are trying to do.. Bennells already come out via his agent and declared he wants to go to freo... GC have stated conversations with freo are advanced... But they somehow think they can grab him?

Me thinks it's just GC trying to get the best pick they can . Fair enough I guess.

How long does he have on his contract Rob ?

Not sure what essendon are trying to do.. Bennells already come out via his agent and declared he wants to go to freo... GC have stated conversations with freo are advanced... But they somehow think they can grab him?

Me thinks it's just GC trying to get the best pick they can . Fair enough I guess.
Gold Coast need there to be another buyer
Essendon need quality players

Too bad for both of them that essendon is about 3,000kms east of where bennell wants to be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back