Traded Harley Bennell [traded with #22 to Fremantle for #16 and #35]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he didn't go to Hawks for money, how did Melbourne get band 1 compo after their priority pick was rejected and pick 3 was solely based on Frawley? :oops: #canofworms

Hawks are shrewd operators, they would've had Buddy money left over for five years - painful to say but if they genuinely wanted Bennell, they would be getting their man. Having said that, I'm taking what Barrett says with a grain of salt.

Fremantle and Geelong both offered more money than the hawks. He went for success, pure and simple.

Doubt Frawley went to Hawks for money.

Agree Hawks dont have a lot of assets to trade.
Fremantle had the most money but Hawks offered more than Geelong in the end. Came in with a last minute increased offer. Its a smart move but this notion he is on low money is not true. He is on what he is worth. Geelong wanted a discounted and Freo were prepared to pay overs to get him to WA.

Fremantle and Geelong both offered more money than the hawks. He went for success, pure and simple.
No. Geelong and Hawks offered same money then Hawks came in last minute with more money. It made the decision easier. Obviously success is a factor but money helped get it over the line in the end. Geelong did the usual we only pay in bands so wouldn't increase the offer.

It's funny how Frawley salary keeps dropping as time goes by. Frawley was going to Geelong until Hawks upped their offer and Geelong refused to match.

There would be no buddy money left now. You have to pay within 500k of the cap every year and you can't front load and back load deals like people make out. It's all not possible. Given this, I don't know how they find this money. Perhaps why Suckling is going as they can't pay him.

They also don't have the trade assets especially with Suckling going in the PSD for compensation reasons. Late first rounders could be 23 or so this year. GC won't take a couple of picks in the 20s. Hawks are up to something but I don't think it's Bennell. Maybe Carlisle or Hurley.
Yeah na.

Geelong offered more money and a longer contract.

Frawley chose the Hawks because he thinks he can play in a Premiership side plus the Hawks have better facilities.

It's funny how Frawley salary keeps dropping as time goes by. Frawley was going to Geelong until Hawks upped their offer and Geelong refused to match.

There would be no buddy money left now. You have to pay within 500k of the cap every year and you can't front load and back load deals like people make out. It's all not possible. Given this, I don't know how they find this money. Perhaps why Suckling is going as they can't pay him.

They also don't have the trade assets especially with Suckling going in the PSD for compensation reasons. Late first rounders could be 23 or so this year. GC won't take a couple of picks in the 20s. Hawks are up to something but I don't think it's Bennell. Maybe Carlisle or Hurley.
Hawthorn have a 1.2 million opening. I leave it to you to work it out as most people on BF know more about the Mighty Hawks then we do. Get used to it, there will be two very solid signings come October. I can guarantee that.

Hawthorn have a 1.2 million opening. I leave it to you to work it out as most people on BF know more about the Mighty Hawks then we do. Get used to it, there will be two very solid signings come October. I can guarantee that.
Yeah I heard you were going to sign Dangerfield and Treloar. You must be pretty happy with that? You always get your man.

500k for frawley which was less than Freo and cats offered.
Freo offered 650, Geelong 500 over 5 years, Hawks 550 over 4 years. Hawks pay $50k per more per year than Geelong offered (and over a shorter time frame too, in year 5 salaries will be alot higher than now) and Geelong refused to match or better as they pay in bands. Source: plenty of articles. You should consult Captain Google.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo offered 650, Geelong 500 over 5 years, Hawks 550 over 4 years. Hawks pay $50k per more per year than Geelong offered (and over a shorter time frame too, in year 5 salaries will be alot higher than now) and Geelong refused to match or better as they pay in bands. Source: plenty of articles. You should consult Captain Google.
You bring it, you source it.

I think 800K to 900K

I'm would love to have him and would be happy with to pay him a fair amount as well it's just what would we have to give up? Even with the trading of future draft picks, I doubt 2 picks between 15 and 20 would do it. Can't see us getting anything to substantiate for suckling either.

I'm would love to have him and would be happy with to pay him a fair amount as well it's just what would we have to give up? Even with the trading of future draft picks, I doubt 2 picks between 15 and 20 would do it. Can't see us getting anything to substantiate for suckling either.

I presume it would take an early draft pick ie. Saints pick 6'ish or earlier to secure Harley unless an A grade player was included in the deal?

Considering Dixon and his ankles are likely to go to Port for pick 7, Bennell is worth far more. His off-field issues are gone now Hunt is out if the picture.

The kid has an enormous upside, no ceiling. The silk of Rioli with the ball winning ability of Mitchell. Rare & clubs know it.

But saying this the kid says he doesn't want to leave the Suns & contracted for another 2yrs. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

You cant front load or back load contacts...thats funny.
The fact is Hawthorn had 900k to 1 mill set aside for Franklin, in that time Hawthorn also lost Sewell on around 400k and Guerra in the 300-50 k mark.
So you're trying to tell me that hawthorn wouldn't have front ended the contracts of multiple players like Roughead etc and continue paying ahead of the cap.
The reason Suckling may leave is because Hawthorn doesn't think he is worth 400k a season, not because we don't have the money to pay him in the cap.

Last edited:
Remember the days when premiership teams struggled to hold onto players, let alone recruit ready made players. If i was an average Hawthorn player i'd be putting my hand out for a pay rise, they seem to have lots of money to throw around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back