Harley Bennell

Remove this Banner Ad

He's an obscenely good footballer. If he wins us a premiership I don't care what drugs he's on.

He's better than O'Meara

lol. I rate Bennell, and would like him at the club. Frankly I couldn't care less about people taking coke (unless it's an addiction problem).
But more importantly, all things equal, Omeara is better than Bennell.
Omeara is the future Ablett.

Yeah but they tried that against us in 06 and we have zero positive drug tests of anything on ASADA's list.
Positive drug test or not, Crowley isn't a Bomber or a drug cheat.
Even if Crowley doesn't play and he probally wont, Johnson still has a mark against his name for recreational stuff and no one gives a s**t.

Maybe I'm just a realist and can see the fact that not one AFL club is 100% clean of recreational drugs yet each year one of those clubs wins the flag and the world still goes around.

It's only as big a deal as the media make it and the public allow it to become.

Its not about being 100% clean, it's about not bringing a known cancer into the mix.

If we got him, it would have to be several volumes of contract. Put him on notice early and give him a mentor else it would be just counting down to disaster. pay him minimum wage with performance carrots.

lol. I rate Bennell, and would like him at the club. Frankly I couldn't care less about people taking coke (unless it's an addiction problem).
But more importantly, all things equal, Omeara is better than Bennell.
Omeara is the future Ablett.
Have to agree to disagree..

Bennell kicks a lot more goals than Jaegar. You'll see, you'll all see! ;)

Have to agree to disagree..

Bennell kicks a lot more goals than Jaegar. You'll see, you'll all see! ;)

O'Meara is better at winning his own ball, tackling and works harder defensively.

Don't get me wrong, Bennell is a massive talent and I would love him at WC but too often he is lazy when getting back and when things aren't really going his way he tends to get lazier. Excellent user of the ball and works hard to get the ball offensively at times (using his pace to get into open space) and his goal kicking ability isn't in question but atm O'Meara is a more rounded talent.

If it all clicks for Bennell and he starts working his backside off both ways then he is going to be some sort of player but there is no guarentee that it ever will.

O'Meara is better at winning his own ball, tackling and works harder defensively.

Don't get me wrong, Bennell is a massive talent and I would love him at WC but too often he is lazy when getting back and when things aren't really going his way he tends to get lazier. Excellent user of the ball and works hard to get the ball offensively at times (using his pace to get into open space) and his goal kicking ability isn't in question but atm O'Meara is a more rounded talent.

If it all clicks for Bennell and he starts working his backside off both ways then he is going to be some sort of player but there is no guarentee that it ever will.
I think we have more of a need for a Bennell type player than an inside midfielder like O'Meara.. but that's just my opinion.

They're both fantastic players.

It would have been a cold day in hell for us to have picked bennell over david swallow.
Andy Lovell was part of the recruiting team at Gold Coast and five drafts ago he said that Bennell came with issues but they had time to sort them out.

Andy Lovell was part of the recruiting team at Gold Coast and five drafts ago he said that Bennell came with issues but they had time to sort them out.

Which is all well and good however if 2010 was a free and clear draft and we had pick 1 like we should have we would have taken Swallow. I would go as far as to say the easiest decision on pick 1 of any draft class that i've followed.

Sorting cultural issues isn't easy when your 4000km from family, I reckon he would have less problems here

Indigenous players are much closer to family than we are in terms of cousins, uncles and aunties .....

He would se his people more being in wa

That said drugs aren't the biggest issue. It's what's underneath that drives it

Drugs are just the resultant outcome of poor relationships, mental health and the ability to not be able to cope with stress very well ....

Sure he will be ok ....would live him here in west colours ...despite our improved midfield we needs some wheels like him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have more of a need for a Bennell type player than an inside midfielder like O'Meara.. but that's just my opinion.

They're both fantastic players.

Omeara is an everything sort of player. A near complete midfield talent. Assuming he keeps his speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Omeara is an everything sort of player. A near complete midfield talent. Assuming he keeps his speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the big question.

On Bennell seeming certain he wont be at GC next year.
Especially with the media reports coming from the east.

If thats the case we need to make a play for him.

That's the big question.

Do you think we overlook his personal issues, or back ourselves to work that out of him?

Another thing t
That's the big question.

You look at Bruce and Miles and the impact at their new clubs and we seriously have to make a play for at least one from GC or GWS.

Another thing t

You look at Bruce and Miles and the impact at their new clubs and we seriously have to make a play for at least one from GC or GWS.
I'd be happy with first option being a discounted Harley, second option paying full price for another mid that is unsettled due to what's gone on and wants to come home like Omeara, Swallow, Coniglio.

Well this is where GCS's recruiting strategy failed. They deliberately stayed away from any veterans and leaders when recruiting and consequently have a culture issue. When your most senior people are including k-hunt, Jarred Brennan and Campbell Brown your going to be in the s**t at some point. No football people around to oversee this, merely guys with fantasy football on the mind. The way they dealt with the Bluey McKenna sacking is further proof that GCS footy department really have NFI.

Or placing and AFL TEAM ON A NIGHT CLUB STRIP

and then having 80% of the players below the age 21 ....

What did the they seriously think would happen

I actually think the gcs have done well not to have had More off field issues ....

Your talking a club built on a night club strip, warm weather with hot chicks everywhere and your laying them 300-500k a year and you expect them not to get into trouble ......

I know young people really well as a counsellor and I know what young man's like ....and it's fun, girls, sex and party time ...yes they are committed footy players too but you can't take the male blood out of them....

i think the this has been so,over exaggerated by the media and fans

We don't know if he's got an addiction ...it's highly unlikely

This dabbling by players is normal behaviour by young men of this ilk ......sure it's not a great look. But the way this young man has been shamed is poor and not helpful

Just imagine the huge middle finger west coast would be giving the AFL and opposition supporters by signing a troubled Bennell, drug and drinking issues and all!

Then imagine Harley Bennell walking the straight and narrow and becoming a genuine superstar. Or getting *in wasted every week and still being a star! Double birds flipped!

The Cousins era scared the s**t out of most WCE supporters, but not me I love mad campaigners :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back