Harris Andrews Updates (PS. Rising Star Nomination)

Remove this Banner Ad

SCPaige

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers, Leeds United
G'day guys, i'm back to annoy you all again!

Having a chat to several industry experts regarding academy kid, Harris Andrews - there is a bit of talk that Andrews could be the first academy kid the Lions use a pick on this draft. He's floated heavily under the radar, but I've whipped up this profile on him since watching him play a bit in the TAC Cup and watching his precariously during the championships. He's arguably my favourite talent of this years draft.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-harris-andrews/

Interesting. I had heard Ubergang is the one we were most into (or is he eligible next year?) but Andrews name has been popping up lately too.

Also should he be drafted I nominate the nickname 'Smitty' seeing as though he doesn't have a last name.

G'day guys, i'm back to annoy you all again!

Having a chat to several industry experts regarding academy kid, Harris Andrews - there is a bit of talk that Andrews could be the first academy kid the Lions use a pick on this draft. He's floated heavily under the radar, but I've whipped up this profile on him since watching him play a bit in the TAC Cup and watching his precariously during the championships. He's arguably my favourite talent of this years draft.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-harris-andrews/

Thanks Paige. Massive wraps on him in your write up. Reading it you'd think he'd be a top 10 pick.

He has been one to go under the radar, but have seen a few say he has lots of interest from other clubs. Has seemed to have had a solid year and is finishing strongly. Could be a bit of a bolter, especially if he tests well at the camp.

Thanks Paige.

Bidding will be interesting for the academy players this year, there seems to be a handful floating around with that late round 2 - round three grade.

Well now the academy seems to be an embarrassment of riches all of a sudden doesn't it! Having said that, I am sure there is a little hype surrounding many potential draftees at this time of year. I would imagine that as we get closer to draft date and club intentions and needs crystallise a little more we will see some of the hype fade.

It seems like we will have to do our homework on which draft picks we want most.

Also should he be drafted I nominate the nickname 'Smitty' seeing as though he doesn't have a last name.

Probably the opposite - he doesn't have a first name. I nominate "Keith". Not enough kids named Keith around these days.

Funny though, when you google his name the first result has this: Harris Andrews is the author of Official NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly. Most definitely a gun!

Probably the opposite - he doesn't have a first name. I nominate "Keith". Not enough kids named Keith around these days.

Funny though, when you google his name the first result has this: Harris Andrews is the author of Official NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly. Most definitely a gun!
I personally nominate David. No kids called David in any of my kids class. What's wrong with David for your kids Gen X?

Except there were 5 in my Grade 3 class and at least one of us was a knob to almost everyone else so no one wants to name their kid David... Old problem Too many Daves.

Harris pffft. Kid might be a gun but geez too many Harrisons nowadays.

Take this however you like guys, but don't be surprised if there is a first round bid for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take this however you like guys, but don't be surprised if there is a first round bid for him.

Is that a first round bid on Hammelmann (in response to the post above) or Harris Andrews?

Also, thanks for the write-ups. It's interesting to get a sense of how draft-watchers that aren't Lions fans see these kids.

even if the bidding system changed I don't see it really as a big issue. IF Hammelmann and Andrews are both rated top 25 picks. and we have to give up picks 23ish (our 2nd) and 41ish (our 3rd) (and if any random new system comes into play we also give up our pick 59 (our 4th)) then we are still getting a relative steal.

any club would trade draft picks 41/59 to move up to pick 25. and we'd still have Pick 4/5 to get a top rated player.

if over time these two firm into being higher rated picks it might actually increase our chances of matching for the likes of Dawson/Clayton/Roos/Ubergang as well. As we'd know we'd be getting them with late picks when not much else is on the board anyway.

Depends what the AFL comes up with though. They could say that we can only take two prospects, that you have to use the closest rather than next pick, that if multiple players are bid on then the AFL will consider whether it would be appropriate to use the first pick for one and a lower pick for the other (ie picks 1 and 4 rather than 2 and 3). Really they could do anything in regards to multiple picks.

Depends what the AFL comes up with though. They could say that we can only take two prospects, that you have to use the closest rather than next pick, that if multiple players are bid on then the AFL will consider whether it would be appropriate to use the first pick for one and a lower pick for the other (ie picks 1 and 4 rather than 2 and 3). Really they could do anything in regards to multiple picks.
IMO with points allocated to draft picks (as has been mooted) that's a logical variation to offer. It'll all come down to the weighting though. Given past performances I have little faith in them getting it right though. I also assume the weighting would be changed every time the Pies are about to be disadvantaged.

I doubt any new system will get up in time for this year's draft anyway. The last word from McLachlan seemed to indicate that they were still in the feedback-gathering phase.

With Darcy Moore in the pipeline for Collingwood I expect a lot of the impetus has gone out of making the changes straight away.

I doubt any new system will get up in time for this year's draft anyway. The last word from McLachlan seemed to indicate that they were still in the feedback-gathering phase.

My personal view is that, unless there are extenuating circumstances, every rule change should have a 12 month lead time. If we have invested heavily in the Academy based on a particular set of rules, then 12 months is a reasonable amount of time to change our business model to suit any change of rules. Same with F/S.

Common sense tells you to figure out a system and have it ready by the draft so they can do a bit of a dry run. See how their system would have worked out. To implement something that drastically changes so much so close to the draft is plain wrong.

My personal view is that, unless there are extenuating circumstances, every rule change should have a 12 month lead time. If we have invested heavily in the Academy based on a particular set of rules, then 12 months is a reasonable amount of time to change our business model to suit any change of rules. Same with F/S.

I agree, but I'd go further.

The AFL needs to set its academy bidding rules and lock them in for a couple of decades. Firstly to give the frontier clubs some certainty so they can restructure themselves around the academies, and secondly because we're obviously in a nasty cycle where these clubs have things taken away every time one of them becomes too successful. We need that to end.

I wonder if theres any chance of us being forced to choose between Andrews or Hammel? Would we be happy to take 2 talls this draft after picking up 2-3 last year? We also had kids like Dawson, Clayton etc who could end up Rookies, and a first round who could net us someone like Brayshaw or Pettecra(sp?)...

I agree, but I'd go further.

The AFL needs to set its academy bidding rules and lock them in for a couple of decades. Firstly to give the frontier clubs some certainty so they can restructure themselves around the academies, and secondly because we're obviously in a nasty cycle where these clubs have things taken away every time one of them becomes too successful. We need that to end.

Couple of decades, wouldn't Eddie just love that, especially if it did favour the frontier clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back