stevoswan

Senior List
Jun 10, 2012
Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Take a deep breathe and take a step back from your team view, have a look at the AFL overall this season. Have a good look over the MRP cases this year and it sure makes alot of supporters scratch their dandruff.

You may see me as taking a swipe at Sydney, I'm actually taking a massive swipe at the MRP. Unfortunately the two glaring examples of the MRP going in opposite directions to the AFL Umpiring Video, are incidents involving two high profile Sydney players.
Franklin maybe, but to keep harping on about the Goodes on Selwood accidental tap while going for the ball is just plain embarrassing:rolleyes: Move on.....

The first incident has been well debated and rightfully so it was not worth a suspension at all , but the 2nd suspension is cut and dry. He whacked Lewis. From slightly behind no less... Got his just desserts on that one.
I was talking about the punishments not the acts now :p

stevoswan

Senior List
Jun 10, 2012
Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
You've never seen a player provide a block for a team-mate to get away from his direct opponent? Ten metres or more off the ball?
Well the rule on this states the ball has to be within 5 metres, so we shouldn't be seeing this at all should we??

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well the rule on this states the ball has to be within 5 metres, so we shouldn't be seeing this at all should we??
If the rules are applied, yes. But we do. Every game, every week.

If you want the rule applied strictly, I guess there should be frees paid before the first bounce, when players bump their opponent more than 5 metres off the ball.

stevoswan

Senior List
Jun 10, 2012
Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Have you watched the footage properly or are you just being a troll here?
What's Duncan got to do with it??? Maybe Harvey should have turned to chase the player with the ball, instead of sniping 10 metres off it, in the opposite direction. It pays to watch the game/footage with both eyes open.....:drunk:

Lockjaw

Rookie
Apr 18, 2010
Past the point of no return
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Yankees

WowWeee

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
surely they should factor in the amount of scare tissue selwood has around that left eyebrow area. gets cut open most weeks

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
surely they should factor in the amount of scare tissue selwood has around that left eyebrow area. gets cut open most weeks

Unfortunately the MRP got into the weird mindset over the years that the end result is more important than the malice/intent/force. Goodes stunned Selwood with a bump much harder than Harvey's and he got off because Selwood didn't have to leave the ground. Selwood had to leave the ground for his cut and thus it's apparently "worse". It's incredibly flawed logic and I hope this case and the Fyfe case from earlier in the season lead to the AFL reviewing this rule as it's insane. It's the force and malice of the bump that should dictate the punishment, not random factors like the hardness of a bloke's head or his propensity to bleed or not.

Caused him to bleed and leave the field? Now I don't know how Franklin got off..........

Because Franklin's one caused the guy to be concussed and left the field for that game...... :|

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
As a side-note, I wonder if the North fans who spent all night booing and whinging at Selwood might take a look at themselves, given he's going out of his way to support their player. A marked difference from the way Brent Harvey has handled himself in similar scenarios, by the way.