Harvey gone

Remove this Banner Ad

It just occurred to me that Harves was simply Freo's Dean Bailey. It's just that no-one ever told him, or certainly he wasn't expecting it all to come to a screeching halt, whereas Bailey was always acutely aware.

I'm not judging his performance or anything. That's for you guys to do.

I guess for the board finals last season was massive overs from their perspective, but still not enough to convince them that Mark was ever doing anything but keeping the seat warm for when a coach that could take the team to a premiership became available. They have played their cards very close to their chest for quite some time.

Apologies if I'm stating the bleedingly obvious.

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
I'll give you Ballantyne, Pavlich and Hill, had niggling injuries that required time. Conolly was the worst for this though, he ruined many of our players.

The others were clearly game day mishaps that was out of his control.

Clearly people who know more about football than I do have made the decision, so we need faith.

However if I see our first draft pick traded and or our club start playing football like the Saints have in recent history I'll be furious.

At the kind of money they're throwing at him, surely a crack at Malthouse may have been worth a shot as well.

When will people get it through their thick skulls,

Malthouse went back to Melbourne for family reasons, no way on this earth will he leave Vic to coach.

The money we pay players/coaches does not come out of your pocket, so stop the jelly over who gets paid what.

Yeah, if we play like the Saints and " God forbid " get to dance at the G, then i'll be livid too. :rolleyes:

Mar 6, 2007
Florence
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Exers
I just feel sorry for Harvs, this was a very ruthless move.

Should end up better for the club in the end though, provided the players can roll with it.

Caro confirming it's Eade according to AFL Teams.
Ha ha ha...

Just goes to show she guesses most of the time.

freocuz

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Outside the norm
AFL Club
Fremantle
What do other Freo supporters think of the way the Saints have played footy? Would they like to see Freo play like that?

Regards
DTF

DTF, if we kick the first point of the match and then chip the ball around for 100 minutes playing keepies-off for 22 matches next season, it would thrill me no end. If he gets my team to the GF, then I will even slip him some tongue (not in a homo way tho - not that there's anything wrong with that).:eek:

It will be a completely different experience watching Freo without the lingering doubts about when we would flake it up. I'm excited.:D

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll give you Ballantyne, Pavlich and Hill, had niggling injuries that required time. Conolly was the worst for this though, he ruined many of our players.

The others were clearly game day mishaps that was out of his control.

Clearly people who know more about football than I do have made the decision, so we need faith.

However if I see our first draft pick traded and or our club start playing football like the Saints have in recent history I'll be furious.

At the kind of money they're throwing at him, surely a crack at Malthouse may have been worth a shot as well.

Absolute rubbish. If you go over our injury list, a large % (much larger than other clubs) were very much preventable. The amount of groin/foot/leg injuries is staggering. Whether that was Harvey's fault or the medical team's fault (which is what I naturally thought), who knows? But people who keep thinking our injury list is "bad luck" really have their head in the sand. Someone is to blame, and it seems like our club might be putting a fair amount of blame with Harvey.

I agree with what you say about throwing money at Malthouse, but to get him would have been close to impossible. Maybe we did try and predictably were knocked back?

Syphoncom

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
So I heard about this when it broke, but I've been out. HOLY s**t!

Anyway, I dunno why - I am a Collingwood supporter and I hate almost everyone, but I don't hate Freo (yet :p) and can't help but be excited by this news.

It's pretty crazy how quickly this has gone down. It's one of the most batshit-crazy-omfgwtf things to happen in the last... 10-15-20 years for memory!

I just love the ballsiness of the whole situation where noone knew! Awesome job :D

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
Obviously the Saints Swans game didn't make it to air in Fremantle on the weekend. Not sure if the Freo hierarchy would have been so adventurous after seeing the rubbish the Lyons coached Saints rolled out against Sydney on Saturday night.

I was at that match and was very dissapointed that the Saints didn't make a better fist of it. Except for 15 minutes in the third quarter St Kilda were outclassed and out coached.

A very "courageous" decision by the Fremantle FC.

Jan 27, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Blackpool FC Perth Glory FC
What do other Freo supporters think of the way the Saints have played footy? Would they like to see Freo play like that?

Regards
DTF

It's about winning and finals DTF. If Lyon's can guide the club to ultimate success, then so be it. Media and BF speculation will run rampart well into next season whether will gambit has paid off and even then it will take a few years to really see if it has.
FFC has never ever been ruthless before with senior coaches, consistantly accepting disappointment. Maybe.. just maybe this change of tact may pay off.

East Freo

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Flyers , 76ers , Steelers , Hammers
Truly sorry for the end result for Harvey.
Ripper bloke who did more than anyone else to give Freo the respectability we have long since endeavored to want.
In saying that Lyon is , as winning %ages show , that he is the best man out there bar Malthouse .
A great & gutsy decision by the football club but it in no way should lesson the achievements that Harvey as a legacy bestowed upon our team.
Bloody thankful for that & he will never be forgotten for those qualities that he left us.

Cheers Harves you will be ever be remembered more than fondly but in the end the greater good in all this is that Lyon has been determined to be the man that can best lead us forward.

Cheers to all in this , hopefully , monumental change in Freo's forward success.

MadMac

Premiership Player
May 5, 2008
Purple Pub
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Swan Districts, Željo
Had no idea about this until I flicked to 6PR and heard Hardie going bananas. At first I couldn't really work out what he was on about, then I just froze when I heard him saying it was a plot to get Ross Lyon :eek:

Anyway, don't like the way this was handled. But in saying that, I support the end product. Harvs has lost the plot this year. Maybe he never had it anyway. But the way we finished the season didn't sit well with me.

Good luck Harvs.

Just watching TFS, is Warnie wearing a lipstick?:eek:

footyfix

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets
Are we masochists? Seriously are we suckers for pain? I don't think I've ever been so f***ing angry with a decision this club has made before (I was in primary school when the Damien Drum mid-season sacking occured so I wasn't as livid).

And now it's between Eade, Craig and Lyon? The Iron Fist future killer, the sports science 'always a bridesmaid, never a grand final' freak or the bloke who looks the other way whilst the culture of the club (which had just been raised to premiership level and that who expects consistent success) gets pissed up against the wall?

If it's any of those three, well, I'd probably just lose all faith in our club if I haven't already. I'd find it hard if not impossible to care. This is just shattering.

Too Right

Scootyb

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
What the **** just happened between the time I left work and the time I got home!!?!?

I'm numb, is this real life!!?!?

This is like some sort of whacked out WWE storyline or something. Was someone screwing someone elses wife or something!?!?! :eek:

Exactly what i felt. Went to work and bigfooty was quiet, a couple of semi final threads but thats about it. Come home and the Freo board has 600 new posts and Ross Lyon is apparently our coach. I am estatic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
When will people get it through their thick skulls,

Malthouse went back to Melbourne for family reasons, no way on this earth will he leave Vic to coach.

Family reasons? As in immediate family? Kids were either out of highschool or about to start their final year.

I'd suggest he went back for Cash and the chance to coach the "biggest" club in the AFL to a flag they were so desperate for.

The money we pay players/coaches does not come out of your pocket, so stop the jelly over who gets paid what.

Ok..Not sure what this point is getting at.
Does that mean had we offered Palmer what GWS were offering him, I wouldn't be within my rights to be outraged?

Yeah, if we play like the Saints and " God forbid " get to dance at the G, then i'll be livid too. :rolleyes:

Another odd point..

We don't have the cattle to play like the saints did, out side has been recruited and shaped for a completely different style of play.

To dance on the G I'd tolerate us playing anyway that gets us there, but as I said Saints game plan as it stands wouldn't benefit us.

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Absolute rubbish. If you go over our injury list, a large % (much larger than other clubs) were very much preventable. The amount of groin/foot/leg injuries is staggering. Whether that was Harvey's fault or the medical team's fault (which is what I naturally thought), who knows? But people who keep thinking our injury list is "bad luck" really have their head in the sand. Someone is to blame, and it seems like our club might be putting a fair amount of blame with Harvey.

I agree with what you say about throwing money at Malthouse, but to get him would have been close to impossible. Maybe we did try and predictably were knocked back?

My question to you is this.

Why is the coach suddenly responsible for injuries but not for draft, surely they go hand in hand as the coach has the ultimate decision?

I'm not against Lyon, I am just pointing out that Harvey put in place much of the processes that has turned our club around, for this I thought he deserved another season at least.

Time will tell obviously, I've said this a few time. Trade table will set the tone.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
My question to you is this.

Why is the coach suddenly responsible for injuries but not for draft, surely they go hand in hand as the coach has the ultimate decision?

I'm not against Lyon, I am just pointing out that Harvey put in place much of the processes that has turned our club around, for this I thought he deserved another season at least.

Time will tell obviously, I've said this a few time. Trade table will set the tone.

I'm not so sure the coach has the ultimate decision in drafting. He might give guidelines on the types of players he wants, but that is about it. For example, it is often stated that Harvey was overruled on Fyfe. But if he is directly contributing to player injuries through overruling medical staff, then that is pretty serious, because he shouldn't be responsible for injuries.

I agree that Harvey has put in place many good processes, and could understand if he was allowed to see out his contract. But maybe he just isn't good enough to go all the way. Some serious question marks started to be raised this year over his tactics, selection, excuses, etc. Maybe Lyon isn't good enough either, but I would say he is a much better option than Harvey.

We might not have had the same chance to snare a better option than Harvey (or Lyon) if we waited another 12 months. I think that is what the club was thinking. They wouldn't have sacked Harvey if they didn't have a supposedly top level coach to replace him with.

tb_fanboy

Cancelled
NFL Prediction Comp Participant
Mar 1, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Denver, UO, NY
omgwtf :D
I still laugh when people say have fun watching 10 goal games. If it gets us a flag then haha I will. :)

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Obviously the Saints Swans game didn't make it to air in Fremantle on the weekend. Not sure if the Freo hierarchy would have been so adventurous after seeing the rubbish the Lyons coached Saints rolled out against Sydney on Saturday night.

I was at that match and was very dissapointed that the Saints didn't make a better fist of it. Except for 15 minutes in the third quarter St Kilda were outclassed and out coached.

Horses for courses I would have thought.

He has a very different list to work with here at Fremantle and with the swift decision of the club I don't think he'll have time to change much of the list to suit the St.Kilda play style so I think in terms of Fremantle now playing "boring football"....... I don't think it can happen.

We will get better defensively and players should be managed, injury wise, properly and in the positions better suited to them.

So far it is fairly positive. From my point of view anyway.

Also anyone turning in their membership.... you can just **** off because that shows you are not a true supporter of the club... instead you are a Harvey minion... Club is bigger than the individual.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers

The senior coach handles training in conjunction with the fitness staff, assistants and doctors but he's the topp dog. If there are fitness and injury problems at the club (which there appeared to be) the senior coach needs to be able to answer those questions.

The Football Manager (Chris Bond) has the final call on recruitment. There's a list management committee and the senior coach would hold sway on current players (so Harvey would have made thhe decision on Hinkley etc) but Harvey would have seen as much of Silvagni/Barlow/etc play live as the rest of us prior to being drafted.

Quite often the senior coach doesn't attend trade week.

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Mandurah Football Club
wow. got on a plane for pt hedland yesterday and harves was our coach. got off the plane, turned the phone on only to be bombarded with text messages telling me lyon was our coach. :eek:

firstly i am amazed that a story this massive got under the radar.

secondly i think this is the ballsiest move our club has ever made, and i for one am stoked. it seems as though a line in the sand has been drawn, nothing but ultimate success is acceptable. lyon is a smug prick, but his win/loss ratio is second only to malthouse. if stevie milne wasnt such a finals choker, lyon would be a premiership coach right now. im not wrapt in the way that the saints have played their footy, but we have a lot more flare and pace in our team, i expect ross will encourage the hill's of our team to play their natural game, however add a more hard nosed defensive tinge to our game plan which i think is long over due

thirdly, expect berbakov to come over with ross as an assistant, i would also think that ross would have a couple of others in mind to complete the coaching team..

finally, we have had everyone on here complaining all year that the coaching wasnt up to standard, that our assistants are rubbish etc etc etc, so now that we actually make a change to a proven matchwinning, tactically smart game day coach people are upset :confused: doesnt make sense to me, the way the change was made was brutal, and harves is without doubt a great bloke, but people should be happy that we have finally had the balls to make a change which should reap us rewards.

btw to those w***er eagles flooding our board with smartarse advice and comments, you can piss off (apologies to the few who are regular legitament posters)

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
As this is the Harvey thread ... while I feel sorry for the guy, he is still going to get paid out for next year. He might have been sacked after 2012 anyway, so he might not be any worse off. Leaving like this might actually leave him better off and with a better chance of getting a good assistant job than being a failure in 2012 and destroying his reputation. Plus he can make two salaries in 2012.

I appreciate what he has done on many levels and while we have seemingly knifed him, once the shock has gone, I don't think it is so bad for Harvey. I think there were serious doubts that he could take us anywhere beyond 2012.

As this is the Harvey thread ... while I feel sorry for the guy, he is still going to get paid out for next year. He might have been sacked after 2012 anyway, so he might not be any worse off. Leaving like this might actually leave him better off and with a better chance of getting a good assistant job than being a failure in 2012 and destroying his reputation. Plus he can make two salaries in 2012.

I appreciate what he has done on many levels and while we have seemingly knifed him, once the shock has gone, I don't think it is so bad for Harvey. I think there were serious doubts that he could take us anywhere beyond 2012.

Massive understatement. I don't think even the most diehard footy follower has a problem with Freo looking for a new coach but it cannot be denied that the treatment that Harvey has received at the hands of the club is nothing short of disgraceful and I think it would go a long way to restoring the damage if the club actually had the balls to acknowledge that and issue him with a full apology.

Freo are fast becoming the new Richmond

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I didnt mind Mark Harvey as a coach. I reckon it was a bit ruthless to sack him with a year left on his contract.

I do question some of his game day tactics which might of lead to his down fall as well.

It seemed that the Freo board has gone nuts and has tolerated the crap our club enough. They sacked Harvey wth ruthless agression. Maybe that same ruthless agression has been long overdue at our club for many years.

Just Looking back at our history of Past Coaches. Neesham (1995-1998), Drum (1999-1st half of 2001) Allan (caretaker coach at 2nd half of 2001), Connolly (2002-1st half of 2007) and then Harvey (2nd half of 2007-2011).

We have been patient with coaches.

Historically we have been giving coaches 2-4 years to structure the club and have failed.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Massive understatement. I don't think even the most diehard footy follower has a problem with Freo looking for a new coach but it cannot be denied that the treatment that Harvey has received at the hands of the club is nothing short of disgraceful and I think it would go a long way to restoring the damage if the club actually had the balls to acknowledge that and issue him with a full apology.

Freo are fast becoming the new Richmond

Big call there. We had at least made the finals 3 times in the last 10 years. richmond hasnt played finals since 2001 and has only played finals in 1995 and 2001 since 1982.

Its was a ruthless move. Then again since your a hawks fan. Hawthorn did some ruthless things by culling their playing list at the end of 2004 and it worked out well in 2008.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back