Society & Culture Has anybody experienced people with personality disorders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Personalty disorders are a series of learned behaviors as a result of experiences in upbringing. Bipolar is not a personalty disorder. its a label given by pharmaceutical companies for marketing purposes. It is PTSD complicated by lifestyle, environment, lack of knowledge and diet. Medications at best are placebos, unless the symptoms are from epilepsy. At worse the medications create a reliance on psychiatry and normally shorten the lifespan of the user by up to quarter of a century, if they dodge the liver issues and cancers.

The great irony being that few on BF require psychological assistance more than you do.

I hear you mate I was told by my GP that I have SA too, also due to childhood stuff. I experience it pretty much everywhere I go except gym strangely enough.

Interests are the main thing with it, if you've got topics you can really discuss and have a social group with similar interests, it will build your social (sober) confidence up. I'm not one who lacks confidence, I just find the topic of conversation has to be something I'm interested in or I will just not follow it. This leads me to interrupt, change topics, stare away etc. and I'm not good at hiding that s**t when I'm drunk. This makes people feel bad, and thats fair enough.

To be honest for a while now I've thought that I have ADD or something, and haven't been diagnosed.

I think I'm a bit like Benny Cousins, whenever I do something I have to do it the most hardcore to prove myself. It was my social identity for ages.

Personalty disorders are a series of learned behaviors as a result of experiences in upbringing. Bipolar is not a personalty disorder. its a label given by pharmaceutical companies for marketing purposes. It is PTSD complicated by lifestyle, environment, lack of knowledge and diet. Medications at best are placebos, unless the symptoms are from epilepsy. At worse the medications create a reliance on psychiatry and normally shorten the lifespan of the user by up to quarter of a century, if they dodge the liver issues and cancers.
Everything is a 'label'....

I think with these sort of issues it's important to delineate between a bit of a ride on the black dog, something I'm sure a lot of us can identify with, but is curable and a long term condition that has a overriding influence on your life. I've been on a couple of bummers, but I've ridden them out with a bit of help, I would never ascribe to myself some form of long term personality disorder.

Interests are the main thing with it, if you've got topics you can really discuss and have a social group with similar interests, it will build your social (sober) confidence up. I'm not one who lacks confidence, I just find the topic of conversation has to be something I'm interested in or I will just not follow it. This leads me to interrupt, change topics, stare away etc. and I'm not good at hiding that s**t when I'm drunk. This makes people feel bad, and thats fair enough.

To be honest for a while now I've thought that I have ADD or something, and haven't been diagnosed.

I think I'm a bit like Benny Cousins, whenever I do something I have to do it the most hardcore to prove myself. It was my social identity for ages.

Yeah I have noticed this. I have little to no anxiety when with friends I've known for a while, and with co-workers I am also fine.

Maybe ask your GP for some tests they could do to test for ADD.

I think with these sort of issues it's important to delineate between a bit of a ride on the black dog, something I'm sure a lot of us can identify with, but is curable and a long term condition that has a overriding influence on your life. I've been on a couple of bummers, but I've ridden them out with a bit of help, I would never ascribe to myself some form of long term personality disorder.

I've had about 2 episodes of depression in my life, as I imagine most people have had at some point. The first was in 2004 and lasted about 5-6 months. The second was more recently but only lasted about 2 months. I feel sorry for anybody who has bi-polar or chronic depression, the brain is just so complex with so many chemicals and such that could go wrong.

As for the girl with BPD, It's hard for me to imagine her not being like that, as the reckless behaviour and reliance on constant male attention is so extreme. I don't know if they "grow out" of that though.

I've had about 2 episodes of depression in my life, as I imagine most people have had at some point. The first was in 2004 and lasted about 5-6 months. The second was more recently but only lasted about 2 months. I feel sorry for anybody who has bi-polar or chronic depression, the brain is just so complex with so many chemicals and such that could go wrong.
I've had two full blown affairs and they're not a lot of fun to put it mildly. One thing they do is equip you with better coping mechanisms though, so that when you are feeling a bit down on everything you can catch yourself and put in the changes you need before it blows out into something that overwhelms you and you're not in control of.

Got the old man over staying with us for a little while, now into his 70s he's always had depression on and off and now has a bit of dementia as well, I tell you it's not easy and frustrating looking after him at times..

One thing I've always noticed when he starts to go funny is that he completely stops bothering about and looking after pets or animals which he normally really likes.

The great irony being that few on BF require psychological assistance more than you do.
the-world_s-top-10-funniest-images-of-sheep-2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong, I think certain mental illnesses are massively overdiagnosed.

Probably one for the unpopular opinions thread, but I think ADD/ADHD in children and depression in adults both fall into this category.

NB: I do believe that stigma around depression remains and many that need help don't get it/don't know they need it/can't get it etc. but I reckon there are plenty who milk it. Paul Gallen is the latest professional athlete to play the depression card after being caught out being a goose. It's predictable.

source plz

Don't get me wrong, I think certain mental illnesses are massively overdiagnosed.

More and more waking everyday about this.

Probably one for the unpopular opinions thread, but I think ADD/ADHD in children and depression in adults both fall into this category.

These a real problems in mentally handicapped children. I've seen it when in involved in a special needs class at a primary school. Been exploited by pharmaceuticals (who invest heavily in junk food) massively. Kids without the handicap/autism ect don't get it, what they get is bad parents or allergic to toxins in vaccinations or similar environmental factors (living next to a factory,near a nuke plant ect) Bad parenting encompasses a number of issue like poor diet, poor routine, left in front of a tv ect. However since the advent of anti depressants, all sorts of birth defects are being linked.

NB: I do believe that stigma around depression remains and many that need help don't get it/don't know they need it/can't get it etc. .

Needs to be separated from mental illness and the public educated about this in its own right. Depression is a natural action of the human body. Mostly its diet/lifestyle related, then you get biological factors and then environmental (abuse ect)

Lets get back on topic, BPD's a really good in bed when they want something..

These a real problems in mentally handicapped children. I've seen it when in involved in a special needs class at a primary school. Been exploited by pharmaceuticals (who invest heavily in junk food) massively. Kids without the handicap/autism ect don't get it, what they get is bad parents or allergic to toxins in vaccinations or similar environmental factors (living next to a factory,near a nuke plant ect) Bad parenting encompasses a number of issue like poor diet, poor routine, left in front of a tv ect. However since the advent of anti depressants, all sorts of birth defects are being linked.

your parents have a lot to answer for!

Mentally unstable people? Sure not everyone can have a charmed life and it can show up in their mental disposition, behaviour, expectations and how they relate.

Whether I've actually met anyone with a certifiable personaliyty disorder I really don't think so. These people tend to have diagnoseable mental conditions and are actually mentally very unwell. I say this as I think these terms (like Narcissism) are groosly overused and just thrown about as a catch all to describe all behaviour. Actually very rare in practice.

One thing I'd recommend to people is to set boundaries and stick to them. This is because of the chaotic nature, emotional inflammability and poor impulse control of people with this problem.

Agree with this. Can apply it to a number of people/situations. Some people can't take no/will guilt trip/just in general crack the shits whatever so you simply have to not get sucked in. Ultimately this means having a clear sense of self, knowing what you will and won't tolerate and not getting sucked in.

How does bogan dust affect you, The Coup?

Absolutely. Bipolar type II being a case in point. Seemed to be the flavour of the month for a while. Was working with a (now defunct) primary mental health team in inner city Melbourne a few years back and 70% of referrals were from GPs querying a diagnosis of bipolar. about 2 people actually met the criteria for bipolar. The DSM diagnosis of bipolar II is a joke.

I concur with this, nowt like a damaged woman eager to please. However, when they're spurned head for the bunker

More and more waking everyday about this.

Needs to be separated from mental illness and the public educated about this in its own right. Depression is a natural action of the human body. Mostly its diet/lifestyle related, then you get biological factors and then environmental (abuse ect)

The problem is they are often the type of person to cut the condom to get pregnant, or due to especially high promiscuity because of the need for attention, are carrying something.
I've had two full blown affairs and they're not a lot of fun to put it mildly. One thing they do is equip you with better coping mechanisms though, so that when you are feeling a bit down on everything you can catch yourself and put in the changes you need before it blows out into something that overwhelms you and you're not in control of.

Pretty much how I dealt with it recently. I knew the signs from the first time and was able to deal with it pretty fast. He actually put me on Zoloft too but I quit it after a few weeks because it was causing me to run to the loo constantly. Nasty side effect. I was surprised how easily he prescribed it, it was actually his first solution before anything..

I was surprised how easily he prescribed it, it was actually his first solution before anything..
I swear they must get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies or something, they jump at the chance to try to prescribe antidepressants and always seem to have sample packs conveniently sitting around in their surgery..

Oh but if you are having a legitimate short term sleeping problem (not ideal often working with live switchboards) and need something like a small temazapam script they act like they are giving you heroin or something if you are lucky enough for them to even say yes :rolleyes:

My nephew has borderline personality disorder. The stories I could tell you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back