FTA-TV Has anyone here auditioned for Hot Seat Millionaire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of the rest either talk about travel or do exactly what they've been told not to do - that is, waste time giving out their stats ("Hi, my name is Barry. I'm 43, I live in Beaumaris, I have four kids" etc).

I went over a year ago now (no phone call yet, pretty sure i wasn't interesting enough) but I heard so many people do these exact things. They told us time and time again what NOT to do, and then they all went up and did it. They also repeatedly told us that Eddie doesn't watch the videos, but we had so many people doing the "I'm a Collingwood supporter!!!" or "I'm not a Collingwood fan, sorry Eddie!!!" thing.

I went over a year ago now (no phone call yet, pretty sure i wasn't interesting enough) but I heard so many people do these exact things. They told us time and time again what NOT to do, and then they all went up and did it. They also repeatedly told us that Eddie doesn't watch the videos, but we had so many people doing the "I'm a Collingwood supporter!!!" or "I'm not a Collingwood fan, sorry Eddie!!!" thing.

I don't know if it's any consolation, but Steve Gilbert (Executive Producer) said they had people from as far back as three years ago being called up to the show. They just have so many people on file whom they can call up to round out the right demographic mix for any one program.

I admit, I deliberately mentioned the fact that I used to commentate VFL games - including Collingwood. I figured the only way I could stand out would be to tell them something positive about myself, particularly if I felt it would add to some banter with the host.

I was on yesterday. At least my episode was filmed.

I reckon I did the online thing in November.

The audition was in January. Quite a few oldies in there who were trying to get noticed by being "funny" and laughing very loudly at the joke answers. I'm sure most of you would classify me as an oldie but there were a few well beyond my years who were trying very hard.

I didn't think I did particularly well on my piece to camera but they say talk for a minute and I told a story that went for exactly a minute so I didn't have to umm and aah. I was surprised to get the call and they ask you to fill out again a few stories that Eddie can talk about. They say don't talk about footy but I wrote about flying from Zurich to Melbourne for a weekend two years in a row and of course it came up.

They also trialled a new thing called the switch on two of the episodes, not mine. On the last question, if you don't like it you can ask for another one. On both episodes the contestant switched and in my opinion then second question was easier than the first.

They filmed a lot of promos yesterday so look out for a guy in a bright green shirt.

Last edited:
Careful there, I assume you've signed a confidentiality form kosifantutti.
Of all the things I signed I don't think any of them were confidentiality. They never mention that other than to say invite all your friends around to watch the episode and it will be more fun if you don't tell them how it ends. But I'll take out the references to specific results.

BTW. You're all invited around to my place to watch the show. Sometime in the next 2-8 weeks.

Friend of mine was on this about a year ago. He told everyone on Facebook the day his episode was on. So I watched it... and he bloody won $10,000 after only doing the last question! That was pretty cool to watch. Then Nine News started so I changed the channel.

They say don't talk about footy but I wrote about flying from Zurich to Melbourne for a weekend two years in a row and of course it came up.

They stressed that over and over at my session, "Eddie doesn't watch the videos." Yet there were still so many ding dongs who sat there going "I'm a Collingwood supporter and so is my whole family!"

My audition was about 18 months ago now, so pretty sure I'm never getting on. Reckon I bombed on the video portion.

They stressed that over and over at my session, "Eddie doesn't watch the videos." Yet there were still so many ding dongs who sat there going "I'm a Collingwood supporter and so is my whole family!"

My audition was about 18 months ago now, so pretty sure I'm never getting on. Reckon I bombed on the video portion.
One of the contestants in another episode had a few family members in the audience. Including one who wore a Collingwood cap and did nothing to dispel the stereotype. I don't know if he had any interaction with Eddie but you really only see Eddie for the 25 minutes that the episode is being taped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DonD is dead isn't it?

No it's still on.

I still don't get the actual challenge in Deal or No Deal. Basically, it's based around luck and pretty much nothing else.

I remember when you had to answer three questions with the quickest time. At least there was some skill in that.

I'd prefer to be on Deal or No Deal over Hot Seat any day. Much better chances of actually winning good money. One of the days I was in the studio had everyone (5 episodes) walk away with over 90k. Highest paying day they had ever recorded. It was crazy.

Except that when you are "on" Deal or No Deal, you have five chances in 156 to actually get "on".

When you are "on" Hot Seat, you have a certain chance that you will be on, and a one in six chance you will win prize money.

So yes, once you're on the floor you're far more likely to win big on Deal or No Deal. Problem is you have a 3% chance to get anything (except for the podium guesses).
Unfortunately, yes. :cry:

I'm filming in May, did the audition earlier this month.

I did well in the 30 question test, =3rd as such. My story wasn't brilliant but I spoke with reasonable confidence which I took to be the key. I noticed a lot of others fidgeting and/or shaking and took that to be something to avoid. My idea being to make eye contact with the lady behind the camera and speak to her directly, all business, all natural - there were a few try hards there. I'm a 40 something male so it's not a demographic they're short of.

Looking forward to it and my goal is to get at least 1 question right. I have a big blind spot on popular culture so if I can avoid a one direction question or such I'll be a happy man. My pre game homework may need to be TV week.

My Mrs has started recording the shows, I don't normally get home in time. Last night I got all the questions correct, tonight I would have been lucky to get any past the first 2 or 3, so there's an element of luck required there.

I'm trying to work out the game theory on passing, seats 1 & 2 it looks a wise decision, and seat 3 is a maybe - maybe not, all others take a stab, this is not a cooperative game.

I did well in the 30 question test, =3rd as such. My story wasn't brilliant but I spoke with reasonable confidence which I took to be the key. I noticed a lot of others fidgeting and/or shaking and took that to be something to avoid. My idea being to make eye contact with the lady behind the camera and speak to her directly, all business, all natural - there were a few try hards there. I'm a 40 something male so it's not a demographic they're short of.

Looking forward to it and my goal is to get at least 1 question right. I have a big blind spot on popular culture so if I can avoid a one direction question or such I'll be a happy man. My pre game homework may need to be TV week.

My Mrs has started recording the shows, I don't normally get home in time. Last night I got all the questions correct, tonight I would have been lucky to get any past the first 2 or 3, so there's an element of luck required there.

I'm trying to work out the game theory on passing, seats 1 & 2 it looks a wise decision, and seat 3 is a maybe - maybe not, all others take a stab, this is not a cooperative game.
After watching the show for years i can tell you to lock an answer in reasonably early even if you are unsure ..if Eddie asks "final answer ? " change your answer.

Good luck

re the advice.

Eddie might help you in the early questions but a certain point the money given away in prizes is no longer Channel 9's but someone elses and those "elses" have someone sitting up the back in the blacked out areas making sure Mr. Pies does not help or otherwise Channel 9 is stiffed with the bill....something they really don't want - breach of contract by both the insurers and the company who license the product is rather messy.

Enjoy the day, it is a long one.

After watching the show for years i can tell you to lock an answer in reasonably early even if you are unsure ..if Eddie asks "final answer ? " change your answer.
The phrase you should look for is "you tell me what to do" But they say Eddie doesn't see the answer until it's locked in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back