Analysis Has anyone watched the Richmond game 3rd qtr?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is allegedly the one Phil did on the fly. I've been going through watching some of our games, its what i do to get through the boredom and in the calm of the offseason I prefer to watch the bad ones to see where we could improve.

Coincidentally I was up to Richmond when it was announced that's the one he watched. I was only up to midway through the second quarter. I watched the rest of the game tonight.

I've got my moves that I would have done, to be blunt there were several you could do and I don't think any of them were rocket science. I'll state mine later, wana see if anyone else has any that they would have done.

This is allegedly the one Phil did on the fly. I've been going through watching some of our games, its what i do to get through the boredom and in the calm of the offseason I prefer to watch the bad ones to see where we could improve.

Coincidentally I was up to Richmond when it was announced that's the one he watched. I was only up to midway through the second quarter. I watched the rest of the game tonight.

I've got my moves that I would have done, to be blunt there were several you could do and I don't think any of them were rocket science. I'll state mine later, wana see if anyone else has any that they would have done.
Also watched it, wouldve dragged hendo, pussyfooted and show no commitment to the contest 3 or 4 times in that one quarter alone, wouldve tried danger one out in the 50 with jenkins filling the hole in the defensive 50 or their 2nd tall who was killing us, Tex pushing up high to be the kicker inside 50. Also would've moved betts in the middle to break morris tag, once again though, their spare behind the ball killed us as usual last year.

Great thread. I am going to try and watch that game this weekend.

You would think Walshy had a fair leg up* on the other coaches for this particular game. He would have heavily analysed that round 21 clash (in addition to the rd 22 clash between Rich and Syd) in the lead up to Ports elimination final. Would have given him a massive advantage.

*I wish to clarify for the optimists that this is not a knock on his ability to coach. Just an observation.

Last edited:

I thought it was the last qtr, and watched that.

I failed to make any changes, but did conclude that it was the moment PW decided Tex would be captain, as he genuinely changed the momentum.

Now I can't wait to see 2015 Captain Tex!!

Great thread. I am going to try and watch that game this weekend.

You would think Walshy had a fair leg up* on the other coaches for this particular game. He would have heavily analysed that round 21 clash (in addition to the rd 22 clash between Rich and Syd) in the lead up to Ports elimination final. Would have given him a massive advantage.

*I wish to clarify for the optimists that this is not a knock on his ability to coach. Just an observation.
True, but the other coaches were given time to analyze the quarter before they had to do the interview with Roo, Fagan and Noble about what they'd change, whereas Walsh did it on the spot. Whether he got a leg up or not, I imagine it'd still leave an impression on you.

Also watched it, wouldve dragged hendo, pussyfooted and show no commitment to the contest 3 or 4 times in that one quarter alone, wouldve tried danger one out in the 50 with jenkins filling the hole in the defensive 50 or their 2nd tall who was killing us, Tex pushing up high to be the kicker inside 50. Also would've moved betts in the middle to break morris tag, once again though, their spare behind the ball killed us as usual last year.
The spare behind the ball was a tactic that we were preferring to use all last season as it let Smith do his magic.
We allowed that scenario as we wanted it too. Should have manned up in the third seeing it wet.
Also the Sloane goal was disallowed which incensed the crowd IIRC. Had a perfect view of that one.:mad::thumbsdown: However that didn't shape the result.

I thought it was the last qtr, and watched that.

I failed to make any changes, but did conclude that it was the moment PW decided Tex would be captain, as he genuinely changed the momentum.

Now I can't wait to see 2015 Captain Tex!!

In the last quarter we played well, we implemented a lot of the stuff I would have done. You should have a look at the third, horrendous by comparison.

The things I would have considered are:
-going man on man, not letting the spare and not having them loose around the contests cos they were killing us at that. further to this, our ability to manufacture uncontested possession was off the scale - on the low side :( - we had something like 11 uncontested in the first half of the third quarter. Staggeringly poor, less than 1 per minute. I think this was a weakness of sando's. He was very good at the contested stuff but I think almost had a unreasonable bias against manufacturing uncontested, leaving us in a crap position. Its cut throat at this level and even if you need to do some downhill skiing (open/ uncontested/ trickster stuff) to get you there then so be it. This is all the more stupid when you consider Sauce's ability to tap where we want it, when we want it. Which brings me to the next thing I would have done.
- getting sauce to tap it right out in the open, all or nothing stuff, either try and lace it out to blokes running past or stuff it totally. When we were just trying to drop it down we were getting killed. If you've got the advantage of a Sauce, then friggin well use him. Also he could have just belted it forward for meterage as it was for all intents and purposes, a wet game, which brings me to next point
- I would have played a simpler game, a wet weather game, move it forward far, fast and try and keep things open. Keep the key positioners within known zones so we know where they'll be then put it on them, they make a contest and marking it is almost like a secondary consideration, just don't let them (richmond) get an easy mark. Win the contest at ground level and then rinse and repeat. Richmond also ran a bit of a Pagan's paddock type operation in their forward line, I would have considered that. Also we had way too much of our forward structure dragged up to defense. I would have told them to stay at home more and just relied on a midfield win.
-The forward line leading patterns and personnel roster was strange. Dunno how I would have done it, to hard to say as well without knowing all the nuances of what the team is like and what they are trying to do but I am pretty sure I would have done it different. Perhaps as the commentators said, just go with lead up, mark, kick, lead up etc style rather than wrestling or stay at home or any other particularly creative form of attack. Prolly tried to keep it simple as.
-I would have spoken to luke thompson. He's the only player I reckon I would have spoken to about technique. To many times he was trying to push into players with his arms rather than body. Given his arms are built like sticks and given they were bending out the way like a floppy fish the technique he was using was not working. He also lacked intensity a bit.
-A lot of other players looked shite because of the sheer good quality ball richmond were getting due to the factors mentioned above mostly.

Other comments, Pods played well, did a lot of the tap it on, wet weather stuff from the start.

Brodie Martin also had a pretty good game.

Regarding the speed of Hendo, there is one contest where he gives up about a metre head start to dustin martin (both already running), closes the gap in a couple of steps, then gets knocked off again, gives the head start again and closes again.

I think that's about it. If I think of anything else I will mention it. Might have to watch it again.

O just remembered one other thing. In the last 3 quarters the umpiring was pretty poor. I would have just said to the boys that we got a good deal in the first quarter and s**t happens, deal with it and get on with it. Win it anyway, despite the maggots.

Yep, doing something with Danger and Betts, some sort of change up, any sort of changeup would have been a good idea if you ask me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have a go for fun.

my watch notes were -
slug of water, "everyone good?" where's that piss bottle?
jenkins and podsiadly need to clear paths use the big body.
betts to get on his bike.
mackay off - tell grigg to run hard
General Message board (read by every interchange 3 things on it) - get defensive side and run through the line of the ball.
GM - look for Tex or go quickly.
'gosh, who broke the no cabbage rule? was that you Doc?'
get eddie to the bench i'll fire him up.
I wanna talk to Tex - ask him what does he need?
tell Brodie Martin if he's gonna bump, then nail it, don't miss, lay the block, must steal his opponents momentum.
forward of the ball are too deep as options, tell them to push up closer on the outlet - give a chance for a short kick, were under pressure here need quick options. better to be under the ball than offside tonight.
GM our non negotiable 1%ers
first and second offensive options are not reading the ball, reset - fwd coach direction, Bicks fix it - first option is too deep, reactionary.
ask campo - what is lyons role? do something
health update... who's got some in the tank? who's empty?
campo - why is douglas setting up in square fwd of the contest? he can still block, need him pointing our way.
send a message to danger "ask him would he like a tissue?"

box qn...anyone got anything?
Milburn - any tiger patterns? can we feed off them, do we need to shut them down?
get me a double coffee and a water... let's hunt some tiger!

prep coaches for 3qtr address... you'll get 2 mins (listen, learn and discover) - then i want their eyes and ears.
get me Spackler on the phone...

end of the notes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back