Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
I believe that Hird took the coaching job too early. I think he should have waited one more cycle, say 3 years for Choco Williams or whoever else was being interviewed. Time at another club would have been handy. He is obviously a smart man, he would have studied the list closely, this season, the list has barely changed. We got so lucky with Hepp, he fell in our lap, how often have we drafted a boy and he`s an instant hit ? Rarely if ever.
So, apart from Hepp, the list is basically the same as the last few, extremely disappointing seasons
I can understand Hird hurting in regards to our last 4-5 years and feeling the need to do something ( I always laugh at ex-players saying "I wanted to put something back" be it afl or suburban level, while they take the big bucks) He came in as the white knight but with one hand tied behind his back. It`s a very bad time to be bad, the rewards are not there.
I would`ve waited for the g.coast & g.w.s to pick the absolute eyes out of these drafts, which g.coast have done and gws will do and then ride in on my big white charger. Again, i understand his reasons for wanting to do something to help, just think it would have been wiser to wait one more cycle.
I`ve always said coaches are over rated, players will always make and break you, he`s probably learning this right now.

So you're saying you don't want the best coaching department the club can assemble until a time that the list is in good shape.

Strange idea.

Not at all.

He is the perfect person to guide us through this period. He knows it and the club knows it

He has the trust and patience of a very large percentage of the supporter base. Nobody is happy to lose like we did last night, especially Hird. Whether we think it's fair or not, any other outsider coaching the club would not be given the time, space and patience that Hird is/will be given. He inherited a 14th placed list, don't forget.

Take a look at his press conference after the game. Relaxed, calm and the loss was like a water off a ducks back. He stressed in the pre-season and when we were winning games earlier in the season that it was a very long road back and tried to temper expectations of supporters, media and the whole AFL world alike. He knew this sort of flat spot was imminent... now we see, under adversity, what coaching is all about. With the good times comes a mountain of lows... he is only 10 games into a roller coaster ride of coaching that every coach, young and old, goes through.

Not at all.

He is the perfect person to guide us through this period. He knows it and the club knows it

He has the trust and patience of a very large percentage of the supporter base. Nobody is happy to lose like we did last night, especially Hird. Whether we think it's fair or not, any other outsider coaching the club would not be given the time, space and patience that Hird is/will be given. He inherited a 14th placed list, don't forget.

Take a look at his press conference after the game. Relaxed, calm and the loss was like a water off a ducks back. He stressed in the pre-season and when we were winning games earlier in the season that it was a very long road back and tried to temper expectations of supporters, media and the whole AFL world alike. He knew this sort of flat spot was imminent... now we see, under adversity, what coaching is all about. With the good times comes a mountain of lows... he is only 10 games into a roller coaster ride of coaching that every coach, young and old, goes through.

Fair enough, thanks Macca, just wanted others views.

Dont think Hirdy has arrived to early - Isnt this season really about finding out which players deserve to stay & take teh next step?

Be nice to see gradual improvement each game & comfortably make the 8 & setup nicely for next year - reality is that until we get the games into the younger players its going to be an up & down ride.

I can live with that as I know that most of the potential for a good side is already at the club - pinch a gun or 2 off GC/GWS over the next couple years will help kick things along.

i thought at first he'd taken it too early without any experience, i think this period has just shown how crucial Jobe Watson has become to the Bombers

I still wonder how much of the coaching is Jimmy and how much is Bomber and co. although i think Jimmy delegating has been effective so far

I think that`s two losses. Just throwing it out there boys. I`d been thinking about it all summer, he`s gone too early on the coaching thing, will keep thoughts to myself in future I suppose.
Fair enough, just find it funny that these threads just happen to bob up when we're on a low.

Didn't see any of this - apart from a few - while we were on fire.

Entitled to your opinion but I can't help but think in a few weeks if we win some games he'll be hailed a genius etc.

Can't judge him on half a season of footy either, judge him on a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give windyhill a break.

An idea/opinion was put out there, that's all. Pretty sure most of us have them from time to time.

The theme on this board lately seems to be that as soon as somebody says something even remotely out of the square that everybody else finds the need to jump down their throat. Get over it, keyboard warriors.

I believe that Hird took the coaching job too early. I think he should have waited one more cycle, say 3 years for Choco Williams or whoever else was being interviewed.

Are you crazy?? Ypu want me to go through another three years of Purgatory?? :eek:

At least we know Jimmy is on the right track - now all he has to do is light a fire under some of our guys to unslumber them.

Are you crazy?? Ypu want me to go through another three years of Purgatory?? :eek:

At least we know Jimmy is on the right track - now all he has to do is light a fire under some of our guys to unslumber them.

I know I know, poor choice, but Williams was being interviewed

Jimmy righted the ship commercially and spiritually. He has us in the 8
(still) after 11 rounds.

Don't underestimate how important he has been commercially. Saved us from becoming Richmond.

It's always a double-edged sword. Do you come in green and make mistakes along the way, or do you go somewhere, learn not to make mistakes by watching a different head coach make them, but maybe pick some bad habits up along the way?

It's almost always going to be judged in hindsight as well. If hird can get the group deep into the finals, thn the answer will always be 'it was great that he stepped straight in'. If not, and float around the 7-11 spot on the ladder then you can easily use his lack of eperience as a reason.

IMO there are enough experienced assisstant coaches from various backgrounds to not make it too much of an issue.

Jimmy righted the ship commercially and spiritually. He has us in the 8
(still) after 11 rounds.

Don't underestimate how important he has been commercially. Saved us from becoming Richmond.

Very good points. However it shits me that it took a "name" to get some to sign up.

Give windyhill a break.

An idea/opinion was put out there, that's all. Pretty sure most of us have them from time to time.

The theme on this board lately seems to be that as soon as somebody says something even remotely out of the square that everybody else finds the need to jump down their throat. Get over it, keyboard warriors.
Oh, the irony.

Give windyhill a break.

Give me a break! His idea makes no sense at all and the timing of the thread is questionable at best.

Do you really buy this "I thought as much previously" talk?

I will ask again. Why wouldn't you want the best coaching personnel at the helm at this point in time? They are trying to build the foundations for the future. Why would you want some other muppet doing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back