Has the gap between the EPL and Championship shrunk?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just curious as to what people think.
It's feeling those coming up are doing better now than before.
While the cup games between sides in the different tiers are more competitive.

Maybe the EPL has reached the ceiling and it can't get better while the Championship is getting more money injected into it and they're raising?

Depends how big you think the gap was initially. The top class Championship sides could probably battle it out with the lesser Premier League sides, but after that the gulf in quality between teams becomes significant.

I think over the last 15 years the professionalism of not only the Championship clubs but the lower - mid table premier league clubs have come on in leaps and bounds.

I remember watching the like of Derby, Barnsley, Charlton, Watford, Wimbledon etc all come up and you could tell that they were Championship sides.

It even took a while for teams like Everton, West Ham, Sunderland, Southhampton, Aston Villa etc to stop being an easy 3 points. It was only 10 years ago we beat Everton 7-1.

Now the competition is more even. Clubs are smarter with their resources, training, scouting etc. Clubs are planning well in advance even in the Championship of how they are going handle the promotion.

You'll always have a top 4-6 in the Premier League that should beat most teams on any given day, but you can no longer look at any teams (apart from maybe one or two) and expect a win now days. Anyone is capable of anyone else. A decade ago that just didn't happen.

I don't think the EPL has reached it's ceiling, but I do think the gap between it and The Championship has narrowed. The Championship teams have become more professional, especially amongst the larger clubs with ambitions to compete in the EPL.

More importantly for supporters of smaller clubs like me the gap between The Championship and League One has widened to the point that the dream of competing in the Championship has become just that. A Dream. It means that a club like Carlisle United which 5/6 years ago were a point away from automatic promotion to the Championship will probably never play at that level again. In fact League One football is fast becoming a dream. :(

I didn't say it was impossible, just that it is a dream that is becoming harder to fulfill.

Yeovil have done an amazing job in the last 10-15 years to first join the Football League, then to win promotion to L1 and the Championship, but they look almost certain to return to L1 after only a year. Doncaster is another that has been going up and down between L1 and the Championship for the last 10 years. It's difficult getting there, and even more difficult staying up.

I didn't say it was impossible, just that it is a dream that is becoming harder to fulfill.

Yeovil have done an amazing job in the last 10-15 years to first join the Football League, then to win promotion to L1 and the Championship, but they look almost certain to return to L1 after only a year. Doncaster is another that has been going up and down between L1 and the Championship for the last 10 years. It's difficult getting there, and even more difficult staying up.

Swansea and Hull are perhaps the exception that proves the rule, but more clubs are looking to them to set up their model for promotion and sustainability. Swansea probably more so as they have done it with less financial difficulty.

What about Southampton who went back to back promotions from League 1 to the Premier league where they now sit comfortably in mid table?

What about Southampton who went back to back promotions from League 1 to the Premier league where they now sit comfortably in mid table?

A couple of years ago there were about 4 or 5 of the larger clubs that found themselves in League One, they were struggling on and off the pitch and in some cases may have been close to extinction. They used their season or two in L1 to rebuild the club from Management down and when they returned to The Championship were in a stronger position and in some cases were able to win promotion to the EPL within one or two seasons. Southampton, Swansea and Norwich have spent time in L1 in the last 5/6 years and are now in the EPL. Brighton Leicester City and Nottingham Forest have also spent time in L1 in the last 5/6 years and are three of the stronger clubs in the Championship.

Portsmouth and Bradford were both EPL clubs around 10 years ago but have dropped all the way down to L2 (and flirted with relegation to the Conference) before they started working their way back up the leagues.

But these are all larger clubs than Yeovil, Doncaster or Carlisle, they have the resources to work their way back into the top two leagues and the stadium and supporter base to generate capital to remain strong and competitive. Yeovil's ground holds under 10,000 spectators, Doncaster and Carlisle's around 15-16,000. These club are unable to generate the capital required to be remain competitive unless some rich Russian or Middle Eastern trillionaire takes over, but they don't have the name recognition to attract such a investor.

Last edited:
Swansea and Hull are perhaps the exception that proves the rule, but more clubs are looking to them to set up their model for promotion and sustainability. Swansea probably more so as they have done it with less financial difficulty.

Swansea are an amazing story, twice in the last 40 years they have dropped all the way down to the fourth tier (now League Two) only to rebuild and work their way back up to the top tier. For that reason I'm not sure if they would be the perfect model, but then again if they can sustain EPL status...

Incidently Swansea were one of bastard clubs that cost Carlisle promotion to the The Championship in 2007/08. We had won 14 straight home games, then lost 2-0 to Nottingham Forest and drew 0-0 with Swansea in two of our final home games dropping us to the playoffs. We lost the playoff to Leeds United on a 94th minute deflected goal. Shattered. League One that year was probably one of the

Swansea are an amazing story, twice in the last 40 years they have dropped all the way down to the fourth tier (now League Two) only to rebuild and work their way back up to the top tier. For that reason I'm not sure if they would be the perfect model, but then again if they can sustain EPL status...

Incidently Swansea were one of bastard clubs that cost Carlisle promotion to the The Championship in 2007/08. We had won 14 straight home games, then lost 2-0 to Nottingham Forest and drew 0-0 with Swansea in two of our final home games dropping us to the playoffs. We lost the playoff to Leeds United on a 94th minute deflected goal. Shattered. League One that year was probably one of the

Gotta say I have a lot of admiration for people like you who stick with their clubs through thick and thin. Not everyone would do it. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say I have a lot of admiration for people like you who stick with their clubs through thick and thin. Not everyone would do it. :)

I've been supporting Carlisle United for around 35 years, they have become too entrenched in me to ever give up on them. I have a feeling though that they may give up on me in the near future. Like a lot of small clubs they are struggling to stay afloat. They are struggling to stay competitive in L1 and are almost certain to be relegated this season. The crowds are down about 50% since 2008, Brunton Park is decades out of date and in need of urgent upgrades and financially they are close to going into administration. Carlisle may not be around by the end of decade. But I will stick with them 'til the end.

I've been supporting Carlisle United for around 35 years, they have become too entrenched in me to ever give up on them. I have a feeling though that they may give up on me in the near future. Like a lot of small clubs they are struggling to stay afloat. They are struggling to stay competitive in L1 and are almost certain to be relegated this season. The crowds are down about 50% since 2008, Brunton Park is decades out of date and in need of urgent upgrades and financially they are close to going into administration. Carlisle may not be around by the end of decade. But I will stick with them 'til the end.

Always a shame. I had a brief worry about Hull when we went down and almost went into liquidation. Don't think I could ever support another team in the same way so I know the feeling. Hopefully they pull through for you!

I think the gap has shrunk because the bottom 10 or so clubs in the EPL are generally complete rubbish. So whil the gap used to lie somewhere between 17th in the EPL and 4th in the Championship it's now actually risen to around 8th-9th in the EPL (if that makes sense).

ie. if you took the bottom 10 of the EPL and the top 10 in the Championship you would have an amazingly competitive league IMHO.

Think Sunderland & Norwich have shown that on the right day they can certainly mix it with the top sides, it's the consistency & small squad sizes that makes all the difference.
The Championship would be one of the most competetive leagues around IMO.

Think Sunderland & Norwich have shown that on the right day they can certainly mix it with the top sides, it's the consistency & small squad sizes that makes all the difference.
The Championship would be one of the most competetive leagues around IMO.

Yep, has been for years. One of the most exciting leagues in the world.

I follow Aston villa. We are no better than 5/6 championship sides. It is shrinking. In fact hope it continues to shrink and it becomes more accesible for all clubs to xompete. Relegation and promotion is what makes football unique unlike afl basketball baseball rugby etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gap hasnt closed. Wait until the FFP kicks in and then the difference will become evident.

They are backed by a Billionare. How many League 1 clubs do you think have that kind of backing?

Was never a big gap to begin with; top seven championship clubs can for sure compete head to head with bottom seven premier league clubs.

Will always have elite clubs but need billionaire investors but even then is no guarantee ask Cardiff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back