Environment Has the weather in Melbourne always been so sh#t?

Remove this Banner Ad

neroblack

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Ad when are they ever the same or accurate?

Point still stands.

One hot day is not a heatwave.

I didn't say it was a heat wave, I just corrected what you wrote as the forecast (which was right on the money today).

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Ah good. Came in to this thread wanting to see someone from WA or SA point out Victorians bitch about a little bit of hot weather and it's been done. Carry on...

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
Ah good. Came in to this thread wanting to see someone from WA or SA point out Victorians bitch about a little bit of hot weather and it's been done. Carry on...
I just got back from my first trip to Perth which was the biggest heatwave in 20 years and the locals complained like Englishmen.

As a southern Victorian, we just take any good weather and savour it. Crystalline sleet raining sideways on a July morning is never far away...

exit

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
44.5 in Adelaide. I'll take Victoria's shitty weather today. We cancelled a planned trip to the Flinders Ranges because it was going to be upper 40's. Ridiculous. Doesn't look like much respite next couple of weeks either. Don't mind hot and prefer summer to winter, but it gets a bit extreme sometimes.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
At least for Southern Victoria where I live there will be relief with a cool change coming through between 10pm and midnight. The interior will be still sweltering for another week. It won't last though and the heat will be back on Monday with a top of 39 degrees.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
44.5 in Adelaide. I'll take Victoria's shitty weather today. We cancelled a planned trip to the Flinders Ranges because it was going to be upper 40's. Ridiculous. Doesn't look like much respite next couple of weeks either. Don't mind hot and prefer summer to winter, but it gets a bit extreme sometimes.

Adelaide really cops it bad. The next week for you guys looks like its going to be dry and hot with not too much relief on the way. Some people head to the beach in this weather but I think its not a good idea because the UV is extreme.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
I just got back from my first trip to Perth which was the biggest heatwave in 20 years and the locals complained like Englishmen.

As a southern Victorian, we just take any good weather and savour it. Crystalline sleet raining sideways on a July morning is never far away...

You were probably up in Joondulup which is in fact full of Englishmen.

exit

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Adelaide really cops it bad. The next week for you guys looks like its going to be dry and hot with not too much relief on the way. Some people head to the beach in this weather but I think its not a good idea because the UV is extreme.
Yeah sometimes it seems to jump from pleasant spring to fiery furnacy helldom without a nice transitional acclimatisation period. 2 or 3 years ago we had 15 days in a row I think of around 40 degrees. Top that off with being the driest state on the driest continent, can be a tad unpleasant place to live at times.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
Yeah sometimes it seems to jump from pleasant spring to fiery furnacy helldom without a nice transitional acclimatisation period. 2 or 3 years ago we had 15 days in a row I think of around 40 degrees. Top that off with being the driest state on the driest continent, can be a tad unpleasant place to live at times.

Both Melbourne and Adelaide are right under a desert which doesn't help and as a result we get these hot desert northerly winds.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've explained this plenty of times to Victorians. You just don't go to the beach when it's this hot. It's for "mad dogs and Englishman." You stay inside and, if it's cool enough in the morning (up until about 10ish) or the arvo (3-6 in WA, 5-7 in Melbourne) you swim then.

But who'd want to swim in Victorian beaches anyway? I've been pampered with some of the country's best beaches where I grew up, so I'm always going to complain with the grey sand and oil-y water here.

Manila_Playa87

Senior List
Suspended
May 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
At least for Southern Victoria where I live there will be relief with a cool change coming through between 10pm and midnight. The interior will be still sweltering for another week. It won't last though and the heat will be back on Monday with a top of 39 degrees.

Yeah the single hot days next week will be those days where the northerly picks up ahead of those series of cool changes which allows the seabreeze along the cost. Those dry shallow changes though make no difference north of the divide so Melbourne cools off temporarily while inland centres back relentlessly untill something strong enough comes along to push the high pressure system and heat out

Adelaide actually cracked 45 and cools off slightly tomorrow before staying in the high 30s to low 40s for a week even without the strong northerlies since the airmass is so hot. Places like tarcoola, port augusta and wudinna cracked 48 degrees if anyone knows where they are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Manila_Playa87

Senior List
Suspended
May 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I spoke to two 70ish year old women this morning.

Both stated that it was consistently hotter years ago.

If you look at BOM observations that have recorded each day since 1855, then that is correct. I recall a looking at a few stints in Melbourne where temperatures exceeded 35+ for more than five consecutive days on many occasions. Doesn't seem to happen much lately although we still get extreme spike days.

Ad when are they ever the same or accurate?

Point still stands.

One hot day is not a heatwave.

They're usually fairly accurate for the next 3 days when it gets beyond that things can change a fair bit. Heard yesterday that 3 consecutive days with temperatures 5 degrees above the average for that area constitutes a 'heatwave'.

Oct 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you look at BOM observations that have recorded each day since 1855, then that is correct. I recall a looking at a few stints in Melbourne where temperatures exceeded 35+ for more than five consecutive days on many occasions. Doesn't seem to happen much lately although we still get extreme spike days.

Just out of interest, where does one find these historical observations? Did some searching but couldn't find a database on the BOM website...

Manila_Playa87

Senior List
Suspended
May 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geez most days here in Manila have barely reached 30 this month and it's supposed to be tropical. Melbourne should usually have about 8 days over 30 in jan and feb
Humidity levels nothing to sneeze at either

Geez most days here in Manila have barely reached 30 this month and it's supposed to be tropical. Melbourne should usually have about 8 days over 30 in jan and feb
Humidity levels nothing to sneeze at either

Fairly moist up there MP?

Manila_Playa87

Senior List
Suspended
May 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Fairly moist up there MP?

Not totally tropical at the moment but fairly humid compared to Melb but the northeasterlies coming off mainland china are starting to weaken and turn more easterly. Temps and humidity are slowly on the rise and summer is coming. Will be back there in july also for the full fury of the wet season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back