Environment Has the weather in Melbourne always been so sh#t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I spoke to two 70ish year old women this morning.

Both stated that it was consistently hotter years ago.

As someone who is now mid 40s, I remember in the 70s getting long runs of consistently hot weather. There may be individually hotter days now or 2 or 3 days, like the weekend before Black Saturday but there doesn't seem to be those spells that there used to be for a week or two. On the other side, I remember walking to school during the same period and all the puddles would be frozen over for days on end in the morning. Since the 80s, I don't think I can ever remember walking early in the morning and seeing the puddles frozen.

I posted on the weather thread on the general board not long ago of 3 consecutive days where I am of 49.4, 50.2 and 50.4. Luckily I'd seen the forecast and headed down to Kalgoorlie before it arrived and bought 2 portable refridgerated a/c units. The old swampy just wouldn't have cut the mustard.

Hard_to_Beat

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I posted on the weather thread on the general board not long ago of 3 consecutive days where I am of 49.4, 50.2 and 50.4. Luckily I'd seen the forecast and headed down to Kalgoorlie before it arrived and bought 2 portable refridgerated a/c units. The old swampy just wouldn't have cut the mustard.

A very smart move.

Denaturation of certain essential human enzymes occurs when body temperature approaches 50C.

Those temperatures can kill you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
I have lived in Melbourne for two nearly 2 years now, and I have to say the weather is absolute crap. Is it possible to get a week of nice warm weather without rain or clouds?
You happy now OP? This 30+ degree weather will stretch till next Wednesday at the very latest.

It's s**t.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
You happy now OP? This 30+ degree weather will stretch till next Wednesday at the very latest.

It's s**t.

At the earliest! The only foreseeable change in the next week is that it is going to get hotter. This is awful.

Not even that hot.

A week of it and everyone freaks out like the world is melting.

Im wearing pants and a long sleeve heavy shirt and im barely sweating.

Good for you freak.

neroblack

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
I'm loving this weather. It's fantastic for stay-at-home nudists like myself. Keep it going I say!!​

I love the heat but i hate the sweat that comes with it. I have sweated more this summer than i have in other previous summers combined. Mostly on the face, previously i would have a drop or 2 of sweat on my forehead. This year it is like my head is a shower and it is pouring out of me, the forehead, sides (that irritates me the most as it drops from my side burn area, all the way down my chin), behind my head. Don't get me started on my legs, it is equally irritating.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, the humidity and lack of afternoon breeze absolutely sucks. You'd always have the sea cooling you off in WA at about 4pm, but it's just s**t here and still sticky at night. It's not even worth wearing a shirt at home because you just end up sweating in it. It's awful.

At least you can get warm in winter, you can't really get cool here in summer.

It surprises me how many Vics go to the beach when it's like 35 degrees. Unless you live across the road, it's not worth it at all. By the time you get back in the car or on the train, you're just as sticky and hot again. And going at like 2pm when it hits the peak... psh.

Not even that hot.

A week of it and everyone freaks out like the world is melting.

Im wearing pants and a long sleeve heavy shirt and im barely sweating.
You hero. Why would you even do that?!

But the world probably is melting. This is pretty much we've had on the world. And it's only going to get way worse.

SuperCats9

Norm Smith Medallist
Minecraft
Apr 16, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester United
I'm loving this weather. It's fantastic for stay-at-home nudists like myself. Keep it going I say!!​

Not so good for hard working people on job sites like myself, an absolute killer this weather is, i'm sick of it!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back