Opinion Has the world ended

Remove this Banner Ad

Honest question do you guys realise your premiership window is shut now?

You know, some of us may ignore or dismiss you and your post because you barrack for the Eagles, but I won't.

And I'll be honest, you make a valid point maybe very few of us want to acknowledge.

As much as I'd like to hope and think the premiership window isn't closed, you may be right that it is. It must be discussed.

Looking at our key position players confirms it: Asking Matt Taberner and Michael Apeness to be the next Pav by 2016, Tanner Smith or Alex Pearce to be the next Luke McPharlin by as early as next year and Zac Clarke to fill Aaron Sandilands's shoes by 2016 may be both unrealistic and even unfair. And there doesn't seem to be enough available stopgap talent or young superstars to pry away from other clubs.

Could we coax a Tom Bellchambers, Paddy Ryder or even a Jarrad Waite to come west and help? James Frawley's a certainty to go to Geelong. There's a long laundry list of KPPs who've turned down our generous overtures the last few years, only for us to end up with Colin Sylvia and Scott Gumbleton, neither of whom is top-shelf talent.

I can only hope the list managers are working overtime on finding solutions to what could be a serious problem.

We were cooked after the stuffed up travel and the hard slog in the mud in Sydney
Losing Balla,Johnson,Silvagni,Barlow wounded and Ibbo going down with a shoulder in the last quarter.
This was Sydney last season ,cooked before their last game.They jumped back,so will we
Its not end of the world stuff,just a season with to many speed humps

Can we find a Buddy equivalent somewhere to run rampant in our forward half and win the Coleman medal? That would be nice...

You know, some of us may ignore or dismiss you and your post because you barrack for the Eagles, but I won't.

And I'll be honest, you make a valid point maybe very few of us want to acknowledge.

As much as I'd like to hope and think the premiership window isn't closed, you may be right that it is. It must be discussed.

Looking at our key position players confirms it: Asking Matt Taberner and Michael Apeness to be the next Pav by 2016, Tanner Smith or Alex Pearce to be the next Luke McPharlin by as early as next year and Zac Clarke to fill Aaron Sandilands's shoes by 2016 may be both unrealistic and even unfair. And there doesn't seem to be enough available stopgap talent or young superstars to pry away from other clubs.

Could we coax a Tom Bellchambers, Paddy Ryder or even a Jarrad Waite to come west and help? James Frawley's a certainty to go to Geelong. There's a long laundry list of KPPs who've turned down our generous overtures the last few years, only for us to end up with Colin Sylvia and Scott Gumbleton, neither of whom is top-shelf talent.

I can only hope the list managers are working overtime on finding solutions to what could be a serious problem.
Taking this into account would mcinnes and a pick upgrade get us a sherridan or clancee.

I have no doubt we will go for Waite - call it a top up or whatever, but realistically, next year is our last shot for a few more years. We need the 2nd forward, and we can hopefully we can keep the defence healthy - there is no way we could have expected to be down 3 of the 4 key defenders on our list, that's unheard of.
Young guys will get game time but this is why I believe macca will go around again, he will be managed and wont play more that 10-13 regular season games next year.

that's why it's so frustrating. we would have won the flag by now if we only had to compete against the teams we are competing against. as it stands, we are competing against a league that so obviously does not want us to do well.

Bad luck guys. Tough run of injuries this year. Don't give up I'm sure you will be right in there amongst it next year.

I'm curious though, could you please expand on the above comment. How is the AFL against you?

I have no doubt we will go for Waite - call it a top up or whatever, but realistically, next year is our last shot for a few more years. We need the 2nd forward, and we can hopefully we can keep the defence healthy - there is no way we could have expected to be down 3 of the 4 key defenders on our list, that's unheard of.
Young guys will get game time but this is why I believe macca will go around again, he will be managed and wont play more that 10-13 regular season games next year.

Hope so much you are right bring in Waite and against the odds get Leunberger and have another crack at it a few younger players should push some of the borderline players out next year so 5 or 6 changes to the team and some luck...

Bad luck guys. Tough run of injuries this year. Don't give up I'm sure you will be right in there amongst it next year.

If Sydney beat you in the grandfinal this year and then get given a top 5 draft pick Heeney for pick 20 this year, you will understand then.

Why would you expect that ? Tonight was a contest between a young side on the way up and a team that has peaked and needs to reassess/rebuild its list, including some coaches/fitness regime. This game said plenty about Fremantle and its lack of respect for its opposition.
Ah this dickhead is back trolling in this board after many years you know when the idiots come out of the woodwork...

An utter entire waste.
We have spent the whole year teetering on the brink of almost getting there. The recruits didn't work out, injuries hit us and the umpires were the worst I've ever seen in my life this year.

Honestly I'm not sure if it's worth investing my time, money and emotion into a game which does not yield results. The competition as a whole is engineered towards the success of certain teams and we are not one of them. It's almost as the AFL has become a scripted television drama and it appears we are the villains.

Well, you could be Collingwood..

You are dead-set on the umpiring this year, it has been by far the worst it has been in recent memory.

You guys will be back at it next year, chin up fellas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm curious though, could you please expand on the above comment. How is the AFL against you?

you can read through the thread, we've been whinging about it all night. ;)

but seriously, if you're not a favoured club in this competition, you're climbing an uphill battle, whether it's through umpiring, MRP, fixturing, etc. it doesn't help that there is this pre-conceived notion that "Ross Lyon is destroying footy" and are penalising us disproportionately for being so defensive-minded. i think it's part of why we are pinged so much, they are trying to discourage our pressure/strangle because the powers that be don't think it's a good look for the game. even if we are now playing a more attacking style of footy and are nowhere near as negative as we were last year, we're still getting crucified for being a good defensive team.

apart from that, a lot people make fun of Fremantle for never having earned a flag despite being in the competition for 20 years. what people gloss over is that we have gotten to where we are the hard way, making laughable drafting and trading mistakes, numerous faux pax, and the brunt of jokes for the rest of the competition. the club we have now was built from ground up with no significant leg-ups from the AFL, no gifted draft picks, and certainly never being afforded any advantage with the fixturing. despite having to battle through all that adversity, we got pretty damn close last year, and it will be part of the character and culture of our club to know that if we ever get a flag (which is what everyone thinks is the measure of success), we would have EARNED it.

as for the muppets coming unto our board and gloating about how we went out straight sets this year and how our "premiership window" has shut (here's looking at you particularly, eagles fans), we've lived through much adversity before and our fanbase remained strong and loyal through it all - and will continue to do so. 2% of your own fanbase hate your team the most (how illogical is that!) - what does that say about your sense of entitlement? your club culture is about expecting things to be handed to you on a silver platter just because you're you.

i know what kind of culture i'd rather have at the club i follow. do you?

Gill, your comments are always well considered and provide a great read. Definitely one of the better posters and a pleasant counter balance to the trolls who frequent this place!

Can we find a Buddy equivalent somewhere to run rampant in our forward half and win the Coleman medal? That would be nice...

No we can't Sydney have 10% more money to buy these stars. It's hard to compete with AFL funded teams.

They bought Tippet and Franklin with the aid of this. Take them out of the Swans and they would be far thinner forward.

prepare for all the west coast trolls to come flying out of the closet
Things are definitely on the up, we're attracting a far greater range of trolls this year. You can smell the fear from the other potential top 4 clubs.

So expert tell me how Freo's and Geelong exit in straight sets was different, and why Geelong didn't deserve to be there??

Big statement to make with no explanation.

Oh, and some news for your buddy, which I think everybody who follows AFL is aware, Your spud of coach doesn't have a game plan to win a premiership.

Enjoy your wasted season as much as we will.
Geelong lost to a side that was never in hunt for top 4, had many close wins that inflated position, while freo lost to the side which had been top of the ladder mid season and has found form again. Also Geelong got more favorable umpiring treatment compared to Fremantle, and fremantle losing the semi final more directly due to injury/ personnel and poor goal kicking. While cats were flattered by final score against north.

If Freo go for Waite I give up.

Interested to hear why.

IMO the club has a decision to make over the off-season. We can gear up for another proper tilt in 2015 with Pav, Sandi and McPharin. Or alternatively, we can cut our losses now and continue to mix youth with experience in the hope of producing a premiership outfit within 3-4 years. Obviously there are lots of factors to consider. GWS and Gold Coast will be at or nearing their peak in say, 2017. Alternatively, there's no guarantee we'll have our three legends for the majority of next year, as we've seen with McPharlin in particular.

IF they choose the former path, Waite fits the bill perfectly. Very low risk, for a potentially high reward. He wouldn't be on a more long-term contract which would hinder the development of Apeness and Taberner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back