Have we raised the white flag when it comes to Port Power?

Remove this Banner Ad

After the last decade of Fantassia, Trigg, Chapman, Craig, finals fadeouts, Tippettgate, Sando, losing required players you think you could have genuine discussion instead of "s**t thread, pathetic, pessismist, loser, blah, blah, blah".

However, if I had my choice again I would have chosen a different threads title. Probably not a great idea.

After the last decade of Fantassia, Trigg, Chapman, Craig, finals fadeouts, Tippettgate, Sando, losing required players you think you could have genuine discussion instead of "s**t thread, pathetic, pessismist, loser, blah, blah, blah".

However, if I had my choice again I would have chosen a different threads title. Probably not a great idea.
Maybe, Are we prepared to change to counter opposition.

Should be a Sydney derby.
The French came to Australia first. There's proof of Europeans landing in North-Western WA before the British found it. Their ship sunk and they set up camp before dying off up there.
26th of Jan is the day NSW was founded. So give it to the two Sydney sides.

Yeah and instead of footy it can just be all the non-Indigenous and white dogs punching themselves in the face for 4 quarters, while everyone in the stands and watching at home does the same thing.

Should be a Sydney derby.
The French came to Australia first. There's proof of Europeans landing in North-Western WA before the British found it. Their ship sunk and they set up camp before dying off up there.
26th of Jan is the day NSW was founded. So give it to the two Sydney sides.

Didn't the dutch discover Australia in the late 1600s?

I've only been to one Port AO game, but that was clearly enough to expose the myth that Port game-day entertainment is so much better than the Crows. The match day activity at the Port game was outstandingly the worst pre-match entertainment of any that I've seen - groups of people did a partial lap of the oval carrying flags of different countries. wow wee!! It was like a primary school sports-day stroll-by, amateurish and boring, and yet Crows are supposed to be getting blown away in the game day entertainment stakes.

What a crock of s**t!

I went to about 6 PAFC games this year and for the uneducated masses that are impressed by stupid trends I can see why it was popular. However it truly is the most pathetic as well. Never have I seen such a pointless sing a long than that of the PAFC masses holding a scarf passionately above their heads singing an INXS song that holds as much of a relationship to the PAFC and their history as what one of Tony Abbotts suppository of wisdom's. Seriously, interstate clubs must go WTF? what's all this about? In a trend stolen from Liverpool (although Liverpool actually has a reason to sing it), I am surprised they didn't just start singing 'you will never walk alone'. PAFC pre match entertainment is just that, pre match. Nothing that entertaining about it.

'Discover' is certainly an inaccurate term to use

The Dutch could be said to be the first Europeans to come across the shores of Australia -

There are suggestions that the Chinese made it to Australia in the 1400s, but not long after China went into a rather insular phase and stopped exploring..

Plus there are the countless Polynesian travellers who traded with Indigenous Australians and Torres Strait Islanders for centuries...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Discover' is certainly an inaccurate term to use

The Dutch could be said to be the first Europeans to come across the shores of Australia -

There are suggestions that the Chinese made it to Australia in the 1400s, but not long after China went into a rather insular phase and stopped exploring..

Plus there are the countless Polynesian travellers who traded with Indigenous Australians and Torres Strait Islanders for centuries...
The Makassan traders were trading tobacco and cloth to Aboriginal people in the NT as early as 1500.

Didn't the dutch discover Australia in the late 1600s?
Nope - unless you are thinking of William Dampier. Some may say the aborigines that made their way down from Indonesia and PNG discovered Oz.

2006 was the 400th anniversary of the Dutch ship, the Duyfken landed up in Cape York. It was the first record of Europeans walking on Oz soil. Around Easter 2006 they had an old Dutch ship and a modern one sail into Sydney Harbour. When I lived in Sydney I remember it sailing in with a few other Oz tall ships.

2016 will be the 400th anniversary of Dirk Hartog landing near Shark Bay in WA.

1698/99 Dutch explorer William Dampier explored the WA coast. He had previously circumnavigated the world. British King William III then commisioned him to command HMS Roebuck. William was prince William of Orange of Holland and had been brought over to Britain a decade earlier to take over from James II who was kicked out after he tried to convert England back to catholicism. If you have spent any time in Broome you will know of Roebuck Bay named after HMS Roebuck and Dampier visited back in 1698/99.

Edit Dampier got a Peninsula named after him, starting where Roebuck Bay ends up to Cape Leveque and then down to Derby.

Last edited:
A lot of posters seem to bit sketchy on early Australian history. It was a long time ago but from what I remember:
The aborigines were the first to discover Australia.
There are unconfirmed stories that the Chinese may have landed here.
More certainly the Indonesians traded with the Aborigines.
The first European to sight Australia was probably the Spaniard Torres after whom the straight was named.
Next the Dutch spent a couple of hundred years crashing into West Australia on their way to the East Indies. Able Tasman was the first to land n Tasmania and circumnavigate Australia.
During this period William Dampier was the first Englishman to set foot on Australia.
Cook the was the first to explore the East coast and Flinders to map the entire coast.

That's about it.

So really, no real reason, they just started singing it. I think many are under the misguided impression that it is due to Hillsborough.
I think Hillsborough, gave it more credence! Like it solidifies and embodies that club and personifies their struggle through the last 25 years .....
personally my favourite moment in professional sport.(especially last years rendition before the Man City game)

I went to about 6 PAFC games this year and for the uneducated masses that are impressed by stupid trends I can see why it was popular. However it truly is the most pathetic as well. Never have I seen such a pointless sing a long than that of the PAFC masses holding a scarf passionately above their heads singing an INXS song that holds as much of a relationship to the PAFC and their history as what one of Tony Abbotts suppository of wisdom's. Seriously, interstate clubs must go WTF? what's all this about? In a trend stolen from Liverpool (although Liverpool actually has a reason to sing it), I am surprised they didn't just start singing 'you will never walk alone'. PAFC pre match entertainment is just that, pre match. Nothing that entertaining about it.
Taking off my port hate hat for a minute (was hard to do) I'd have to say I disagree with you. Port have added a new element to afl support. We all know that they have nicked it from Liverpool ( 19th man is also second hand ) but it is unique in afl land which is why it has gain traction and is part of why the other clubs you are referring to are looking closely at ports Mach day stuff. Port absolutely showed us up on and off the field and this , despite your individual opinion, was part of it. I don't want our club sticking its head in the sand on this. We need an overhaul on all things marketing including the match day experience and we need to be big enough to acknowledge that the arch enemy has got one on us this time but won't next time.

Taking off my port hate hat for a minute (was hard to do) I'd have to say I disagree with you. Port have added a new element to afl support. We all know that they have nicked it from Liverpool ( 19th man is also second hand ) but it is unique in afl land which is why it has gain traction and is part of why the other clubs you are referring to are looking closely at ports Mach day stuff. Port absolutely showed us up on and off the field and this , despite your individual opinion, was part of it. I don't want our club sticking its head in the sand on this. We need an overhaul on all things marketing including the match day experience and we need to be big enough to acknowledge that the arch enemy has got one on us this time but won't next time.
I would be so pissed off if we didn't improve our game day experience. The thing is we have seen what can be done, so if we look at what we can do and take on some new ideas from within the club and around the world we could have a better experience than PAs. We have so much ground that we need to make it, it could take off very quickly if the crowd and supporter base gets involved!

The 'Match Day Experience' for me is watching the game of footy. I don't care about the fairy floss around it.

I had no problem with the Power singing the song but the moment it became another whine from their hierarchy as an act of defiance against the SANFL trying to tear the Magpies and the Power apart it become a parody.
Their scarf may have Power and Magpies written either end but for goodness sakes not every Power supporter was a 'One club' supporter. I know North, Sturt and Glenelg supporters who also follow the Power and they truly don't give two hoots about the Magpies.
Some will claim it's an 'origin' statement but that's only telling the part of the story that is convenient to the argument.This obsession with continually lambasting the SANFL is just plain puerile and reeks of immaturity and accountability.

Sure I'll acknowledge they hold their scarf's up high and sing but having one over us... never. I see it's as all for the wrong reasons, they'll disagree....that's football.

I had no problem with the Power singing the song but the moment it became another whine from their hierarchy as an act of defiance against the SANFL trying to tear the Magpies and the Power apart it become a parody.
Their scarf may have Power and Magpies written either end but for goodness sakes not every Power supporter was a 'One club' supporter. I know North, Sturt and Glenelg supporters who also follow the Power and they truly don't give two hoots about the Magpies.
Some will claim it's an 'origin' statement but that's only telling the part of the story that is convenient to the argument.This obsession with continually lambasting the SANFL is just plain puerile and reeks of immaturity and accountability.

Sure I'll acknowledge they hold their scarf's up high and sing but having one over us... never. I see it's as all for the wrong reasons, they'll disagree....that's football.
I think this is all irrelevant. In 2014 they did it better than us. Your welcome to believe otherwise but you would be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back