Mod. Notice Have your say - BigFooty Sydney Swans Board

Which best describes the state of the BigFooty Sydney Swans Board?

• Poor. Complete Rebuild needed - Trade Sam Reid and Tom Mitchell

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Hello fellow Swans fans,

Before we start what we all hope is a great run deep into the finals, we would like to invite all of you to provide feedback about the state of the BigFooty Sydney Swans Board.

To begin with it would be great if you would take a few moments to vote in the poll above, but more importantly it would be appreciated if you could post your thoughts about how things are going within this thread regarding this board. Everything is fair game - from us the moderators, to the quality of the discussion on the board itself, to the structure of the board and everything in-between. Voting is useful, we are most interested in ways you think the Sydney Board can improve, what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong, what we could be doing better and what we should be doing that we aren't already.

Also we would like to hear about your use of this board (which threads and features you use) so we can improve this board going into the off season and then into 2015.

Late Edit - Feel free to include any prefix, award, or off-season thread suggestions too.

We as Moderators won't reply to this thread for 7 days to allow everyone the chance to respond without us jumping in all the time to answer everything. That will come after the 7 days. So have at it

Thanks

Your Mod Team

Bonz robbieando RW

PS: Please be mindful of the board rules before posting, as they also apply to this thread (keep it polite, keep it civil, refrain from getting personal regarding other posters). If you have problems with other users please contact the moderators privately. We reserve the right to delete posts that breach Board Rules.

Last edited:
I think generally its fine sometimes we could all be a littler nicer to each other afterall we all support the same team, i feel when someone throws up a trade scenario or says something about xxxx player usually gets attacked probably a little to strongly :)

Gameday threads are always a "intresting" place you either are in the negative camp or to positive but i suppose in the heat of watching the game its understandable.

I still believe we need a rant megathread where all rants can go in one place over the course of the season, xxxx player was s**t this week, umpring was dreadful etc etc

The podcasts are wonderful i think if we could get a player or two to come on during a season that would be all sorts of awesome, perhaps we could throw some Swans colors to brighten up the dull grey background.

Overall not much needs to change to make this place even better and more welcoming :)

I would like to see a Sydney themed background. Other boards have these different coloured backgrounds and it just feels more homey to the eye.

I would like to second a big rant thread, would clean up some threads.

I feel like we could use some more friendly Swan compositions going in a mega comp thread. Like say general tipping, predict who will get most disposals in a game, most goals, Brownlow votes in Sydney games and at the end of the season tally points or however the comp works and reward the winner with title of "Most Swan" or something better named.

Having only been on this board for a few months it is nice and welcoming which is lovely. Noticed the new posters thread isn't stickied anymore, think it should be so new posters can at least dip their toe in the water.

It also seems the same big threads are always being posted in such as the current preview, contracts, draft/trade threads for example. Some more and different discussions would be nice to see but I'm not 100% sure what of.

Overall I love coming here. Don't know many other Swans supporters being from Melbourne so it's a great place to be a part of a community. And it's good to see I'm not the only supporter who is quite harsh on the boys at times :p

Let me say i clearly like the page and feel the swans board is a sanctury for swans posters

I think some people take things too seriously take them to heart and overthink it

My honest feedback for the mods is stop moving posts and deleting stuff all the time, feels over the top at times, i get the reasons behind it but feel like you guys worry too much, just deal with the trolls and let people talk and relax

Let me say i clearly like the page and feel the swans board is a sanctury for swans posters

I think some people take things too seriously take them to heart and overthink it

My honest feedback for the mods is stop moving posts and deleting stuff all the time, feels over the top at times, i get the reasons behind it but feel like you guys worry too much, just deal with the trolls and let people talk and relax

I'm going to have to second a lot of this

Would love to see a swans backdrop
But would also love some natural flowing conversation and banter that isn't moved. If it's too off topic that's fine but I still miss the community feeling days of the 2009/10/11 times when people had in jokes and posted on the random thoughts thread!

But would also love some natural flowing conversation and banter that isn't moved. If it's too off topic that's fine but I still miss the community feeling days of the 2009/10/11 times when people had in jokes and posted on the random thoughts thread!

I too wish I could be 16 again.

Vonn, very well said

I for one would like to see opposition trolls given a bit more leeway. Once too often have I seen one of my well thought out zingers get deleted along with their posts. This is a shame for the other posters here.

Otherwise, I love that the quality on here is a step above many other team boards, but I might be biased.

Overall as mentioned above, often a sanctuary on BF to talk swans & AFL with sum really great posters and at times some comic genius thrown in & other times good healthy debate & discussion. I love a good solid reasoned debate where all parties can empathise but still put across their argument well & I think that needs to be allowed to flow naturally. We should maintain our openess as a board & lead by example in our treatment of opposition posters. I think we lead the way on BF on this front actually...

I'd like to concur with the background colour scheme idea as well as a rants thread. Could really help clean up a few threads rather than just deleting posts all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a few teams (maybe the Hawks/North) it would be nice to have a banter thread alongside the usual match preview one. That way the big-noting, trolling and usual rough and tumble between supporter groups can be catered for without clogging up the serious game discussion.

In general, I'm not against the sentiment of encouraging more inter-club discussion on the Swans board - Bigfooty is a fairly insular and hostile place these days when it used to be a little more relaxed and jovial. I think it would be nice if we did out part to improve this. There is a reason why the 'Sydney is such a P***weak club' thread is looked on so fondly.

For the most part it is good. Having had a look around on redandwhitekop.com over the years (Liverpool forum) it's comforting to know at least here you can debate a topic or disagree with someone without having to worry about all condescending shite that goes on in the Liverpool one i mentioned. I don't post much, but it's a decent read for the most part and If anything the mods should be thanking us via gift cards etc (realistically i'd settle for something off humblebundle.com) for making their job easy. :D

edit: I voted average in the poll, i like the idea of Grundy out. :p

Thanks for the Feedback everyone.

We are going to close off the thread for now, discuss what has been posted as a Mod Team and get back to you all with responses as soon as possible

I think generally its fine sometimes we could all be a littler nicer to each other afterall we all support the same team, i feel when someone throws up a trade scenario or says something about xxxx player usually gets attacked probably a little to strongly :)

Its a fair point and is something we keep an eye on if its done too strongly but at the end of the day this is an opinion based forum and we can stop people from having opinions either way. So we try and identity posters who are more strongly worded in their posting towards others and work in private with them.

Gameday threads are always a "intresting" place you either are in the negative camp or to positive but i suppose in the heat of watching the game its understandable.

I still believe we need a rant megathread where all rants can go in one place over the course of the season, xxxx player was s**t this week, umpring was dreadful etc etc

Gameday threads are "in the moment" threads where people are reacting to what they are seeing play out live, having a Rant Thread could work but it wouldn't remove the negative posts from Gameday Threads. So it would be a double edged sword in that regard.

The podcasts are wonderful i think if we could get a player or two to come on during a season that would be all sorts of awesome, perhaps we could throw some Swans colors to brighten up the dull grey background.

That's more a Bonz question, but I do believe approaches to the club have been made.

I would like to see a Sydney themed background. Other boards have these different coloured backgrounds and it just feels more homey to the eye.

We're looking into this, will try to get it up as soon as possible.

I feel like we could use some more friendly Swan compositions going in a mega comp thread. Like say general tipping, predict who will get most disposals in a game, most goals, Brownlow votes in Sydney games and at the end of the season tally points or however the comp works and reward the winner with title of "Most Swan" or something better named.

This is a good one, we'll think of a few categories and get some mini competitions going for the finals.

Thanks for the feedback all and we'll definitely take on board the suggestions about moderating style etc. And no swansrule100 I am definitely not doing the ice bucket challenge but I donated on behalf of the board

With a few teams (maybe the Hawks/North) it would be nice to have a banter thread alongside the usual match preview one. That way the big-noting, trolling and usual rough and tumble between supporter groups can be catered for without clogging up the serious game discussion.

We will look to introduce a Banter Thread in time for next season, we won't introduce one until we get an idea and support from everyone as to how they would like it set up and run.

In general, I'm not against the sentiment of encouraging more inter-club discussion on the Swans board - Bigfooty is a fairly insular and hostile place these days when it used to be a little more relaxed and jovial. I think it would be nice if we did out part to improve this. There is a reason why the 'Sydney is such a P***weak club' thread is looked on so fondly.

Opposition fans are more than welcome on this Board, they just aren't welcome to troll and if they do we deal with them as we come across each incident. As for the "Sydney is a peak weak club" thread on the Brisbane Board, that has nothing to with how we are viewed just a long running joke between the two boards over how the AFL always had us set down to meet in the "rivalry round" way back when due to the NSW vs QLD thing and thus started a mock hate thread which is always bumped before we meet and always hooks someone for being "the real thing".

You need me to mod. That's what you're missing.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this but I see other boards have "Positives / Negatives" threads after their matches. To me this has much more scope than a "3 Things I Learned" thread. Let's face it, by the end of the season there's not much new stuff we're learning anyway.

Back